Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 03:32 PM

12,955 posts, read 9,594,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Because there were not white people there hanging out asking to use the bathroom, that was the lie the white guilt people said to try to defend the black men when they were in cuffs.

I love the outrage of the white guy pretending to be their friend and demanding to know why the black men were being arrested and they were ignored.

and if the manager was a racist that hated black people it must have been her first day at work or she never had black customers before. Oh wait these guys were not customers.

If I were there I would defend them too, because I would not know all the facts and wonder why 2 black men were apparently being arrested for no reason.
Yeah, sure you would, I can tell by all your comments.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:36 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,684,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Yeah, sure you would, I can tell by all your comments.
I would, honestly, I would be like hey man, this is wrong. then the cops would tell me that they were asked to leave and are criminally trespassing and I would say have a nice day officers, thank you for your duty.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:
I would, honestly, I would be like hey man, this is wrong. then the cops would tell me that they were asked to leave and are criminally trespassing and I would say have a nice day officers, thank you for your duty.
But you wouldn't say, hey man, why wasn't anyone else asked to leave? These guys weren't doing anything different from these other people. What gives, man? Why are the black dudes being treated different than the white dudes?

No, you wouldn't have asked those questions.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Excellent post. These men are heros. . Ohhhh wait. I shouldn't say that yet. The smear campaign from the right will dig up these guys records or speeding tickets or Instagram posts or Facebook rants or a pic of them smoking a joint. I'm aware of how this works. Lol.
That's racist.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But you wouldn't say, hey man, why wasn't anyone else asked to leave? These guys weren't doing anything different from these other people. What gives, man? Why are the black dudes being treated different than the white dudes?

No, you wouldn't have asked those questions.
Because all the white people were holding Starbucks coffee cups.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:
Because all the white people were holding Starbucks coffee cups.
Not all of them.

Try again.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,146,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji Ken View Post
Please. There were other people in there who were there BEFORE they came in and hadn't bought anything that said they were singled out. Why do people like you avoid the obvious display of racism. The old, "Let me get all the facts" BS. Please. It's getting old. Stop pretending like they must have done something.
I’m not pretending. I do not assume they actively did anything.

But, bystanders are notoriously awful witnesses, so it is also possible that we will never know the whole truth.

I grow weary of the outrage machine. Would I patronize that particular Starbucks today? Nope.

Am I calling for anyone else’s head now? Nope.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
There were other people in the store who did not buy anything and were sitting there.
There's a report that another white person came into the store, asked for the bathroom code, and was given it.

Racists get the benefit of the doubt, way too often.
This is the United States of America, and Racism is as American as Apple Pie.
Is it possible that the manager was just stupid, sure, but the odds are she was racist and stupid.
Racist people don't need facts or proof to stand by their racism (just look at this thread), so I don't see any point in waiting this out.
You completely missed my point.

There are always “reports.”

A good many turn out to be bull.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,090,458 times
Quote:
Because there were not white people there hanging out asking to use the bathroom, that was the lie the white guilt people said to try to defend the black men when they were in cuffs.

I love the outrage of the white guy pretending to be their friend and demanding to know why the black men were being arrested and they were ignored.

and if the manager was a racist that hated black people it must have been her first day at work or she never had black customers before. Oh wait these guys were not customers.

If I were there I would defend them too, because I would not know all the facts and wonder why 2 black men were apparently being arrested for no reason.
Becuase theyre white its white guilt?

Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The issue isn't that they were black and they were asked to leave.

The issue is that there were white people in the restaurant behaving very similarly. One white man even stated that he was there longer than these two men, without ordering anything. So why were the two black men asked to leave, but the white man loitering there wasn't asked to leave? Why were the police called on the black men, but not on the white man? When the person they were waiting on showed up, why didn't the police see that the situation had changed, and consult the manager to see if she still wanted the men arrested?

I understand the police chief and his determination that the officers were just doing their jobs. But I've been in similar situations, managing a place that is open to the public, reaching out to the police for assistance. And in those situations, the police have diligently worked to defuse the situation, to act as intermediaries, so that both parties can hear the other's argument. It seems to me that the police were determined to get the men out of Starbucks, without hearing the men's side to this at all. True, the police aren't the courts, and they aren't judges or lawyers. But when given the reaction of the other patrons, and when the men's companion arrived, it should have at least raised questions in the officers' minds that the situation wasn't as clear-cut as trespassing.
I do not know why things happened that way. I was not present.

I do know that I do not approve of racially profiling black men, though.

I want to make that clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies