Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

And herein lies the core issue.

It is definitely racism when a race is targeted more than another for breaking the rules/laws.

And racism deniers can claim all they want it doesn't matter -- all that matters is that the rules were broken....but it does matter.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is interesting that so many people on this thread are okay with calling police on someone just because they are triggered by seeing black people.
BS on its face. Philly is largely a Black city. That's why these type of arguments ring wholly shallow, and the entire "racist" argument is garbage. People from other cities don't know what they're talking about. There are Black people in and out of that Starbucks all day every day. Black people are not rare to anyone at that Starbucks location nor anywhere else in the city.

This entire invented scandal is race hustling 101.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
desertdetroiter WTH are you talking about? Since when does Starbucks go around enforcing “property rights” on potential customers who wait inside for a friend? What body orifice did you pull that out of?
I guess you didn't read the other comments, to know, "Any business has the right to ask someone to leave if they are not purchasing anything...and, to boot, any business has the right to ask people not to use the bathrooms if they are not a customer....I've seen signs in businesses..."Our bathrooms are for Customers Only".

Quote:
Again dude...Starbucks has been a meeting place for people since its inception. It’s a damn COFFEE SHOP for crying out loud. That’s what people do in coffee shops! Don’t you folks have coffee shops in Texas? Don’t young people meet up at coffee shops in Texas?
Yes, it is and always will be, but "most" people buy coffee....even when we were kids we knew enough to be respectful when we went into a place, and ordered something.

We used to hang out at a diner, and they had a rule there, that we had to order something, so we'd all order cokes...just to stay there...and hang....everyone knows that...or should....

You don't have the right to tell a business what rights they have or don't have, and pleading no knowledge of that, never holds up in court.

Quote:
Or is it customary for you people to toss people out of an establishment just because they’re taking too long to order something! Because where I live, that’s not how we treat each other.
you know what, maybe, just maybe, that place was packed...and I'll say this again, maybe the manager was trying to divert a possible problem, since there are fights, stabbings, and shootings all the time in businesses in Philly....?????????

Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And herein lies the core issue.

It is definitely racism when a race is targeted more than another for breaking the rules/laws.

And racism deniers can claim all they want it doesn't matter -- all that matters is that the rules were broken....but it does matter.
And it is definitely not racism when you can't prove that one race is targeted more than another for breaking the rules / laws.

And it definitely is socially destructive and racially self interested when you attempt to advance the argument like that has been proven when it has not.

That's the core issue.

Let me ask you this: if one race breaks the rules / laws more than another, is it racist to pretend that they do not or to otherwise attribute enforcement of laws when they do to racism?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:31 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
residinghere Often when others are meeting someone or others, they wait for their entire party before ordering so they can eat/drink together....
and just maybe this place was packed full and they priviously had a problem with this type of thing? We can second guess this all we want, because we weren't there, but the bottom line is, it's common sense, if your asked to please leave, you leave, they could have waiting out front. And BTW, did the other person ever show up....? Sounds to me, like these guys were con artists....

Quote:
Sigh...there is not excuse for the manager calling the PD on these men. Witnesses in the establishment said there were white people waiting the same amount of time not ordering anything and these black men were singled out. I know you may not want to admit it, but often people are triggered by black men and think the worst of them just because they are black and those people are uncomfortable with black men being in a business.
yanno what, it was reported that these men refused to leave and the encounter was escalating...

Quote:
Starbucks is a place for loitering. People sit there for hours at a time on their smartphones, pads/tablets, and laptops without food AND they use the bathroom and they don't get the police called on them.
Starbucks is a place, to go in and order coffee and check your emails, you wouldn't walk into a restaurant, and sit down and order a glass of water? Your using the work loitering out of context, loitering is against the law....

Quote:
And there is no such thing as "black rights." All Americans have rights and in this case should be treated with the same dignity and respect as everyone else.
You are absolutely right, the guys didn't want to leave, they felt they had rights to argue, to sit there without buying anything...I wouldn't have the nerve to do that, especially if the manager asked me to leave.

I can't say if this was a set up for a law suit or not, but it certainly was wrong of them to do...and the manager had every right to call the police. Then The NAACP tried to say the police were out of line, (as they always do) but they followed the law by the book.....

You can argue this case all you want, but bottom line, the law will prevail....

Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Let me ask you this: if one race breaks the rules / laws more than another, is it racist to pretend that they do not or to otherwise attribute enforcement of laws when they do to racism?
It is true that Blacks commit more crime, and much more violent crime than other races. That is why they get PROFILED more, as the stats back it up. That being said, these two men did not fit the profile of trouble makers, although I was not there, and the police said they were responding to a "DISTURBANCE". This entire episode has been blown way out of proportion.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
BS on its face. Philly is largely a Black city. That's why these type of arguments ring wholly shallow, and the entire "racist" argument is garbage. People from other cities don't know what they're talking about. There are Black people in and out of that Starbucks all day every day. Black people are not rare to anyone at that Starbucks location nor anywhere else in the city.

This entire invented scandal is race hustling 101.
I know Philly has a lot of black people....

That doesn't mean that there arent some paranoid white people in Philly who are afraid of blacks.

So the argument is correct - this manager was evidently "triggered" by the black dudes.

And sorry but many people, no matter their background think negative things about other people who are different from them. Stereotyping and prejudice are pervasive in our and all societies. The manager has since come out and said that they should not have called police. There were other patrons waiting longer than these two black men without purchasing anything who didn't have police called on them.

You can chose to ignore reality but reality is plainly evident in this case. It has nothing to do with there being black people in Philly. There are black people where I live too and we still have some paranoid white people who are afraid of blacks and vice versa (there are many black people afraid of white people too and I bet there are a lot of them in Philly).

Old 04-17-2018, 07:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and just maybe this place was packed full and they priviously had a problem with this type of thing? We can second guess this all we want, because we weren't there, but the bottom line is, it's common sense, if your asked to please leave, you leave, they could have waiting out front. And BTW, did the other person ever show up....? Sounds to me, like these guys were con artists....

yanno what, it was reported that these men refused to leave and the encounter was escalating...

Starbucks is a place, to go in and order coffee and check your emails, you wouldn't walk into a restaurant, and sit down and order a glass of water? Your using the work loitering out of context, loitering is against the law....

You are absolutely right, the guys didn't want to leave, they felt they had rights to argue, to sit there without buying anything...I wouldn't have the nerve to do that, especially if the manager asked me to leave.

I can't say if this was a set up for a law suit or not, but it certainly was wrong of them to do...and the manager had every right to call the police. Then The NAACP tried to say the police were out of line, (as they always do) but they followed the law by the book.....

You can argue this case all you want, but bottom line, the law will prevail....
It is not wrong of them to state they have a right to not be discriminated against.

It is unfortunate that you and the officers and the manager are ignorant about the fact that the Civil Rights Act protects all Americans in regards to having the right to patronize businesses in an equal fashion as all other customers - no matter their features.

It is also unfortunate that you believe that we should live in a police gestapo state where someone can call the police on you and you have to do whatever the police tell you or you should be killed or jailed even when you have broken no laws (which is what occurred in this case).

Unfortunately there are many people in our country who are unaware of the rights that we possess in regards to being American.

I'll note I'm black and have a black son. I have already told him since he was 8-9 years old that he has certain rights and that if his rights are violated and police are called on him to go ahead and state his rights nicely but comply with police and then we'll sue the hell out of the PD, the business, the individual involved, etc., citing our protected rights. If someone hits him do not hit back, we'll get more money.

I'm hopeful that these men will get a good settlement out of this. I believe that is why they have not made a statement. I wouldn't have been making any statements in the public but would have had my lawyer contact Starbucks and get my dam money for the violation of my rights.

Everyone isn't a pushover like you all want us to be and police are not gods and managers of businesses have an obligation according to the laws of this country to treat all customers in a fair manner.

The police could have left the establishment after the men's friend arrived. People often wait for their party prior to ordering. The manager had no reason to call police according to all witnesses. The men were not charged with a crime. This was harassment and it was based on the race and fashion of the men sitting in the restaurant. You keep overlooking the fact that there were people there longer than these men who had not ordered anything, yet the police wasn't called on them. And asking the police a question or talking to an officer is not against the law. Police are "public" servants. They work and are paid for by the public, including these men. They are tasked with keeping order and if laws are broken arresting people to be presented to our courts for judgement. No laws were broken in this case. The person who called them is more at fault IMO than the PD but the PD could have counseled the manager that no laws were broken and left the men alone, especially after their friend arrived.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
As I pointed so were Rosa Park's.
They had far more options than that brave woman did.
This worked for them. That's why you are upset. It's not up to you.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I know Philly has a lot of black people....

That doesn't mean that there arent some paranoid white people in Philly who are afraid of blacks.

So the argument is correct - this manager was evidently "triggered" by the black dudes.
First, its obvious conjecture and so not "correct".

Second, you apparently don't "know".

Quote:
And sorry but many people, no matter their background think negative things about other people who are different from them.
Using that assumption to prosecute a narrative in the public sphere, based on no evidence, is not convincing.

Quote:
Stereotyping and prejudice are pervasive in our and all societies.
That doesn't give everyone who can be stereotyped a pass in all scenarios. Objectively, these guys were not paying customers and were there for some time. Objectively, they refused a police order. I'd be very interested to see video of what occurred from the time these gentleman entered the store until the arrival of the police.

Quote:
The manager has since come out and said that they should not have called police.
Sorry, citing "right speech" on the part of the manager isn't convincing after the liberal narrative has been in the national news cycle and the guy's job is obviously at risk as a result.

Quote:
There were other patrons waiting longer than these two black men without purchasing anything who didn't have police called on them.
Quote:
You can chose to ignore reality but reality is plainly evident in this case.
What is evident is a lot of conjecture substituted for fact, there is a lot of resultant narrative, and there is a clear misconception on your part of what downtown Philadelphia is like.

Quote:
There are black people where I live too and we still have some paranoid white people who are afraid of blacks and vice versa (there are many black people afraid of white people too and I bet there are a lot of them in Philly).
Just... LOL. You're clueless about downtown Philly, let alone the rest of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies