Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:13 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

As a 13 year old we only had BB and pellet guns - but we used them for vandalism. Kids. Of course, I had used real rifles at camp and in military school....but I didn't have access as a teen to firearms (in general). By the time I became of age, I lived in very rural areas but was not a hunter and didn't feel any need to protect myself...my weapon was a chainsaw. Never looked back - 40+ years and the only time I saw a gun pulled was over a parking space.
So there it is, because you were irresponsible at 13 everyone is irresponsible at 13?
Nah... I'd have gotten a beating I'd never forget and never see a firearm if I misused one, threatened another's life with one, let alone vandalized anything with a BB gun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 02:31 PM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
It already is a federal felony to lie on a 4473 about being guilty of any crimes of a felony or misdemeanor that bar ownership of a firearm.
it already is a federal felony to lie on a 4473 about being adjudicated mentally defective.
Those laws work when enforced. And you won't get an argument from me there.

Want to have proper actions to prevent tragedies from ocurring. Can start with the PROMISE program initiated between Parklands school Superintendent and Broward Sheriff Isreal.
Quote:
“We’re not going to continue to arrest our kids,” he added. “Once you have an arrest record, it becomes difficult to get scholarships, get a job, or go into the military."
https://www.realclearinvestigations...._shooting.html

Know what else is difficult to get with an arrest record?
Firearms.
How many times were the police at his house?
How many times did he commit a crime that would have barred ownership of a firearm if he had not been protected by a program of good feels?

Yet, the NRA has blood on its hands? The NRA and it's members, and firearms enthusiasts are culpable and promote this, endorse this? That is the sentiment these days...

Want to have proper actions to prevent tragedy from occurring and put blind faith in uncle Sam to be the hero?
You wouldn't mean, the FBI who's proven twice to be ineffective in the state of Florida...
The same alphabet soup bureaucracy that was called by my local gun store that reported the Orlando scumbag? Which was recently revealed his father was a mole for the FBI...

The same agency that was reported to of credible threats of violence by the Parkland scumbag?
Ineptocracy exists in every form of bureaucracy. It's standard operating proceedure for some. Take the DMV in NY state... want to register a car? Better take the day off... and God forbid every i isn't dotted and t crossed... or its back of the line with thee while I go on a 10 minute break.

Point being. Howl at the moon for big brother government intervention. Don't complain when it doesn't go as planned. It rarely ever works as its sold to us plebs...
It not only costs in tax dollars, it costs in freedoms.

Afterall the intentions were publicly voiced. We will take that inch and go for miles.

Furthermore. Subjective interpretations and fast and loose qualifiers should not be the determining factor of who is a possible risk.
For example, there was a man arrested locally for being seen carrying a rifle inside his house. 62 years old. Lever action. Not that oh so scary AR15.
Neighbors walking by saw him carry it from where he had cleaned it going to the safe. Florida/Trump's grab the guns first, due process later is law down here.
He now has 1 year to appeal and testify to prove to a court that he is not a threat or risk to himself or others.

That wasn't threatening or menacing. The act of walking with an unloaded rifle muzzle pointed down at the floor is not a menacing or threatening act.

Now if he were outside waving it around indiscriminately... then by all means seize them.

It is also lawful to open carry while fishing and hunting here.
Someone sees a person fishing with a pistol on their hip. Now they're perceived as a threat as well? Yup.

There is the problem.
It's too fast and loose.

It can become a game of this for that and become very political very quick.
Because my subjective interpretation as what is crazy, is someone who feels and not thinks. My subjective interpretation of what is crazy is someone that believes firearm enthusiasts and 2nd Amendment supporters are culpable, responsible, and support, these random heinous acts.
My subjective interpretation of what is crazy, is someone that believes rights are open to curtailing to fit a motive.
My subjective interpretation of what is crazy is someone compelled by illogical emotions.

Instead of any new reforms and proposals...
Perhaps enforce the laws currently on the books?
Or we go further in decline and play a new game of divisive politics where 2 sides disagree vehemently and become immature and spiteful while literally NOTHING productive becomes of it.

I'm not sure if you recall the Texas Church thread or not... I do.
When you mentioned responsibility, this reminds me of an argument I was involved in there.
Someone had made the remark, that the actions of the NRA member who confronted the shooter, weren't good enough.

A person who by their standards was a responsible gun owner, facts be damned he didn't keep loaded weapons or magazines at the ready, wasted precious seconds loading magazines to confront the scumbag, his actions weren't good enough.

So when you say responsible. Do you mean someone prepared to risk it all in defense of themselves, their community, their fellow American? Or do you mean, keeps no loaded magazines, no weapons loaded locked and cocked?
It matters. It means the difference between thwarting a threat instantaneously or awaiting minutes for help, when seconds matter.

Because just like common sense. Responsible is also another buzz word tossed about.

Actually let's go down the list of buzzwords.
1. Common sense laws/legislation.
2. Universal background check.
3. Gun show loophole.
4. Assault rifle/Assault weapon/Assault style/military style.
5. High capacity.
6. Responsible gun owner.
7. Mental health.
8. Criminal.

The 4 on that list that crack me up the most.
Assault rifle.
Universal background check.
Common sense
And mental health.

Why do they crack me up?
You have a mentality of mental health affliction, grandstanding for common sense laws, by way of universal background checks, for modern sporting rifles labeled as Assault rifles.
Common sense laws? Coming from a high capacity of those suffering a phobia of firearms? With hijacked definitions applied as to what an assault rifle is when it's been clearly defined?
That's LOL worthy.

I've got a cure-all for this one.
And it goes like this.
Incentive.
Motive.
Intent.
Enabling outliers.

Incentive? Gun free zones prove to be offering quite the incentive. Allow those who want to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights to do so.
Motive? Stop publishing in fine detail, the weapons and tactics used by these scumbags. You're giving them what they wanted-infamy. You're showing their errors which others can attempt to recreate or exceed as admitted by Sandy Hook scumbag.
Intent. What drives someone to be intent on doing such a heinous thing? Go after that. Stop that before it even starts.
Is it bullying online?
Is it bullying in real life?
Is it a result of a psychotropic drug that causes homicidal ideations because parenting is too damn hard?
Is it a lack of morals? Is it a lack of values?
I don't know. I can't sympathize or begin to understand what would cause someone to want to cause as much death as possible. I'm not a shrink. And I don't associate with individuals that believe in murdering others to get their way.
Enabling outliers like that PROMISE program that protects criminals because it's hard to get into college, the military, and a job with an arrest record...
I guess don't break the law if you want to become a productive happy healthy individual is a difficult concept to grasp...

Public Safety and health are the disguise. There's an ulterior motive here. And it has nothing to do with public safety... If it were... why would those who've said Trump is literally Hitler or Stalin, give him praise for giving the finger to due process and go after the guns first and do due process later?

You can't be serious.

This is some 1984/They Live type stuff. What I find most disturbing, no outrage expressed by the ACLU or other organizations or individuals that claim to defend civil liberties/constitutional rights. You have lost all credibility when you praised tyranny to fit the motive of gun control, for it is a Constitutionally Protected Right to keep and bear arms as much as it is a Constitutionally Protected Right to protest, to vote, to be free of illegal search and seizure, etc.
You've lost all credibility if raising the age to 21 to exercise 1 constitutional right but didn't endorse it to go further and cover every other individual right.

Instead, propose lowering the age to vote. But increase the age at which you are considered adult enough to keep and bear arms?
WW3 looming over Syria. Would you also be so quick to lower the age at which one can join the military? Or wait for an entire generation to be 21 to join and serve?

Like I said. If clearly defined what is crazy, what is a real legitimate threat, by all means follow up with due process, investigate, determine and prove the person is irresponsible due to mental impairment, or history of violence.

But if you are so fast and loose with what constitutes as a threat or crazy...
Then this country and it's future are in rough shape and it's only going to get worse.
When it becomes a barring offense to own a firearm because you speak about them in a positive light, when it becomes a perceived threat that you are seen with a firearm inside your home, not taking aim or being otherwise menacing, because of someone's feeble feelings and irrational fear... There's a problem. A big problem. And it doesn't have anything to do with firearms...

We can terminate our old slogan, land of the free home of the brave effective immediately.
Change it to land of the subjects, home of the offended and scared.
And it costs in lives. 17 innocent lives at Parkland.

Those government-employee scumbags KNEW their Promise Program made schools MORE dangerous, and did NOTHING about it. Horribly prescient warning from 2015:
Quote:
"Maria Schneider, head of the juvenile unit in the Broward State Attorney's Office, said the program was "a work in progress."

"We've accomplished reducing the arrests. Now it's 'how do we keep that up without making the schools a more dangerous place,'" she said."
Broward sees success in new student intervention program despite rise in suspensions - Sun Sentinel

Broward officials admit that student suspensions rise and schools get more dangerous when such a program is implemented. Guess why... Teen criminals know they won't get arrested, won't go to jail, won't have a criminal record for any criminal acts anymore. All they'll get is suspended from school. BFD. What teen delinquent doesn't want to not have to go to school in the first place? Sheer stupidity! From the government and adults who are supposed to be in charge.

But, noooooo... to the vapid anti-Rights group it's the NRA's fault it happened... Millions of law-abiding gun owners who've never harmed anyone in any way are to blame.

Excellent post, BTW.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...across-the-u-s

160 people showed up in Atlanta, a metro area of many many millions in Deep Red territory.
Suffice it to say that it appears not many of these people (let's be real here, these are the gun nutters who want zero changes and MORE gun rights) feely deeply enough about the issue to show up by the 10's of thousands.

They are gonna have to do better than that to convince pols....and the public. 100,000+ is the minimum (in DC or another big city) to prove an issue that people are serious about.

I welcome their peaceful protests...and personally am not surprised at the low turnouts. Most Americans favor stricter background checks, closing of loopholes and even other measures to make certain guns don't get into the wrong hands.
I'll call BS on your reasoning. Most gun owners simply can't be bothered doing protests. I dont any fellow gun owners that would bother doing a parade or a very public protest.

Sort of like a lot of us refuse to take part in polls. We have a life and parading around streets pretending like a single politicians cares just isn't for many of us.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:09 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Quote:
They are gonna have to do better than that to convince pols....and the public. 100,000+ is the minimum (in DC or another big city) to prove an issue that people are serious about.
Maybe they came out in such few numbers because they don't see the disarming of America as a serious threat?

Most 2A supporters seem pretty confident guns are here to stay. For every 100,000 anti-gun protesters there are over 3000 GUNS in America. You do the math.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:33 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Maybe they came out in such few numbers because they don't see the disarming of America as a serious threat?

Most 2A supporters seem pretty confident guns are here to stay. For every 100,000 anti-gun protesters there are over 3000 GUNS in America. You do the math.

They didn't come out in big numbers since gun owners work for a living and don't attend liberal government schools.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:26 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Why would I march for something I already have? That makes no sense. I give money to my rights groups. They hire expensive Attorneys I couldn't afford and protect my rights. Then I vote for like minded.

Parading around with stupid slogans and chants? Nope.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:30 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Our state's annual gun rights rally is at the state capital on April 30th, and it has several law makers, and others who speak. We usually get several thousand people, but it is on a Saturday, when most working people have off. Only a very few politicians understand the reason for the Second Amendment, but the ones that attend this usually do. Their mantra is the 2A is to protect US from THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies