Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:07 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times

Advertisements

Florida business cited for flying military flags, in a military town, fights back and wins.

It is increasingly obvious that we must fight back against anti-American nonsense when confronted with it.

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending-n...vied/733388247

Jacksonville man can keep flying military flags after he's issued warning

https://www.wokv.com/news/local/jack...8PM3KFl1dZeEP/

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending-n...vied/733388247

There are nationwide calls for discipline for the Jacksonville city worker who allegedly told a veteran what he did for his country ‘didn’t matter’ while serving a warning to a local business for flying military flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,772,003 times
Why in the world would the city care if businesses were flying flags, let alone use tax revenue to pay city employees to hassle businesses over something like that?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
My office is in a historic district and we are not allowed to fly "open" flags, banners, put out folding signs and or business sign had to be approved for size and colour. Technically we need permission to fly the American flag but I put it out every time I am there.
Yes the zoning rules are ridiculous but the town wants to keep the "charm" of the road from becoming anywhere USA with signs signs everywhere.

If the guy in Florida wants to fly his flags and there is no ordinance against it then he should be able to do so as long as he keeps those flags in good shape.

We should never have to ask permission to fly the American flag, lord knows we have enough idiots that step on it so it is nice to see that people still cherish it and what it stands for.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,091,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

If the guy in Florida wants to fly his flags and there is no ordinance against it then he should be able to do so as long as he keeps those flags in good shape.

We should never have to ask permission to fly the American flag, lord knows we have enough idiots that step on it so it is nice to see that people still cherish it and what it stands for.
Totally agree on both points.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:40 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
^^

I also agree.

Flags such as national flags or armed forces flags should be flown with pride.

Even local sports teams are important to an area, and these flags should also be flown with pride.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Even if this is not a military town, the private business had the right to fly the military flag they chose to fly.

"cited for flying military flags" what kind of world we are living in right now? This is getting ridiculous.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
I would bet there is more to this story, maybe the city worker has had problems with this guy in the past over something else, or just didnt like him for whatever reason, using the flag excuse may have just been his way of causing this guy problems, making his life a little tougher, just to be mean.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
I am not a fan of what our military is doing (soldiers don't make those decisions). I don't think their actions overseas has done anything for decades to make us safer, just the opposite. (Soldiers dont make those decisions).

I'm glad this guy won. If he wants to fly a military flag on his business, he should be able to.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,772,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My office is in a historic district and we are not allowed to fly "open" flags, banners, put out folding signs and or business sign had to be approved for size and colour. Technically we need permission to fly the American flag but I put it out every time I am there.
Yes the zoning rules are ridiculous but the town wants to keep the "charm" of the road from becoming anywhere USA with signs signs everywhere.

Designated historic districts aren't what's being talked about here. From the video that store looks to be in a run of the mill strip mall type area. Such places have no charm. It appears to be a simple case of govt. overreach.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:07 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Good news !!! The city employee that made the disgusting comment to the veteran was put on leave along with a supervisor.

The veteran didn't want her fired.
He thought a public apology was a better solution. He got that from the mayor but not the city employee. However the employee did post a Facebook apology so that is somewhat public for those on FB.
To the Mayor's credit he acted quickly and was on the right side of the issue. Mayor says inspector's treatment of customer not acceptable behavior.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/city-i...g-controversy_

Last edited by phma; 04-18-2018 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies