Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times

Advertisements

Venn Diagram

People who think 2 black guys in a Starbucks were plotting something and this guy "with a “gun holstered to his chest,” was wearing a shirt that read “You control your kids, I’ll control my guns.”" was minding his own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Sure. Open carry in a holster? Why would criminal with no legal right to own, much less carry, a firearm do so when that mere act is a felony with a pretty stout prison sentence attached? Makes no sense, since open carry is such a beacon of attention.

I see open carry and figure 2A/hunting/gun enthusiast, who I trust to carry a weapon more than most police.

Again though, I have been around tons and tons of open carry, so it really doesn't bug me much.
Why would someone rent a hotel room in Vegas, break out a window and wreak havoc on concert-goers?

I've been around tons of open carry as well. It doesn't really bug me much, either. However, the woman who called the police didn't know if this guy was a law-abiding gun owner, or a nutjob. She had no way of knowing. And the t-shirt was a little nut-jobby. Women with children can be protective, and on alert for people who are a little nut-jobby.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Again-would you feel the same about a black person wearing a Malcolm X shirt? I do understand-it is easy for those that have lived a sheltered life to fear those they do not understand or relate to. We all have inherent bigotry often caused by lack of knowledge or exposure.
I don't think a Malcolm X shirt is the same as a shirt that complains about out-of-control children, and mentions guns, worn at a park where people bring their children to play, are comparable.

And if you want to talk about inherent bigotry, let's do so. Starting with the assumptions you are making about me, simply because I don't think that a woman being protective of children at a playground is stupid.
I'm not bigoted against gun-owners at all. I have knowledge and extensive exposure to gun owners. I've faced down people waving guns around, and taken the guns away. You can't find a post from me advocating for gun control. You make a lot of assumptions, with zero foundation to support you.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Venn Diagram

People who think 2 black guys in a Starbucks were plotting something and this guy "with a “gun holstered to his chest,†was wearing a shirt that read “You control your kids, I’ll control my guns.â€" was minding his own business.
I'm glad to see you understand the similarities.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 AM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think a Malcolm X shirt is the same as a shirt that complains about out-of-control children, and mentions guns, worn at a park where people bring their children to play, are comparable.

And if you want to talk about inherent bigotry, let's do so. Starting with the assumptions you are making about me, simply because I don't think that a woman being protective of children at a playground is stupid.
I'm not bigoted against gun-owners at all. I have knowledge and extensive exposure to gun owners. I've faced down people waving guns around, and taken the guns away. You can't find a post from me advocating for gun control. You make a lot of assumptions, with zero foundation to support you.
I draw conclusions from your statements-no more, no less.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Just as i IMAGINE everyone I see driving a car is doing so legally. Or crossing the street in a crosswalk. Or speaking in public. Or posting in a public forum.
"God must love idiots"
Or hauling guns up to a hotel room in Vegas.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:27 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Venn Diagram

People who think 2 black guys in a Starbucks were plotting something and this guy "with a “gun holstered to his chest,†was wearing a shirt that read “You control your kids, I’ll control my guns.â€" was minding his own business.
What did he DO that would suggest he wasn't minding his own business? What were his actions that were questionable? He was wearing the gun on his belt like most other people. There was a picture of a gun on his shirt.

People call the cops to purposely harass the law abiding carrying a gun.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I draw conclusions from your statements-no more, no less.
You make assumptions. NOTHING I said suggested that I was ignorant about guns, or didn't have any exposure to them. But you rushed to that assumption. And you tried to attack my argument based on your faulty assumption.

Once again, a man who is not known to a woman shows up at a park filled with children and families. That man is wearing a shirt that talks about out-of-control children. And guns. And the man is visibly carrying that gun. She doesn't know his intent. She doesn't know if he's a nutjob or a law-abiding citizen. She doesn't know, and she doesn't want to confront him. She calls the police to determine if there is a threat or not. That's not an unreasonable action.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why would someone rent a hotel room in Vegas, break out a window and wreak havoc on concert-goers?
Exceptions don't prove rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I've been around tons of open carry as well. It doesn't really bug me much, either. However, the woman who called the police didn't know if this guy was a law-abiding gun owner, or a nutjob. She had no way of knowing. And the t-shirt was a little nut-jobby. Women with children can be protective, and on alert for people who are a little nut-jobby.
She was overly sensitive and a bit paranoid, the open carry guy was calm, cool, collected and apparently polite and accommodating to authorities, and the entire event ended peacefully, even if paranoid lady didn't get complete satisfaction because scary man was not arrested or taken away and allowed to go on about his day with his scary t-shirt and open carry.

Owning and open carrying a firearm is perfectly legal for the vast majority of the population. Like 90-95% of that population is legally allowed to own and openly carry a firearm. That misinformed people think otherwise speaks more to the effectiveness of the anti-gun lobby and their media blitz than anything else, as well as people being ignorant of their own rights to some degree.

The lady was ignorant, prejudiced and paranoid. That made her suspicious and fearful, ad she acted on that fear. Thankfully, nobody had their rights violated.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Exceptions don't prove rules.

She was overly sensitive and a bit paranoid, the open carry guy was calm, cool, collected and apparently polite and accommodating to authorities, and the entire event ended peacefully, even if paranoid lady didn't get complete satisfaction because scary man was not arrested or taken away and allowed to go on about his day with his scary t-shirt and open carry.

Owning and open carrying a firearm is perfectly legal for the vast majority of the population. Like 90-95% of that population is legally allowed to own and openly carry a firearm. That misinformed people think otherwise speaks more to the effectiveness of the anti-gun lobby and their media blitz than anything else, as well as people being ignorant of their own rights to some degree.

The lady was ignorant, prejudiced and paranoid. That made her suspicious and fearful, ad she acted on that fear. Thankfully, nobody had their rights violated.
The lady was protective of children. She was suspicious, and she called the police to verify that everything was safe. Nobody had their rights violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies