Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM

50,535 posts, read 47,325,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would say that openly carrying a weapon along with the T-Shirt was unnecessary in a playground. He could have concealed his weapon and left the T-Shirt home, he was looking to make trouble, it worked.
If you don't have a concealed option you have to open carry. It's really that simple. Someone carrying a sidearm (holstered) doesn't even make me blink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM

39,917 posts, read 26,621,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That woman didn't demonstrate stupidity.

She's at a park filled with children and families. A man she does not know is also at the park. He's wearing a shirt about out-of-control children, and he's visibly armed. She has no way of knowing if he's legally armed or not. His shirt is communicating the idea that he dislikes out-of-control children and parents who don't control their children. His shirt also communicates that he has a gun, which is visible anyway.

If something terrible HAD happened, you and everyone else would be questioning why no one called the police beforehand. Why wasn't anyone suspicious?

Her suspicions were raised because of what the man wanted to convey to people. Whether he was a real threat or whether he was just someone with a poor sense of humor, she had no way of knowing. Direct confrontation was unwise. So she called the police.
I was actually referring to the woman in the post that I had quoted/replied to. You know-the one that berated him over the shirt he was wearing.

But now that you mention it-the one in the OP was pretty comparable. She displays the same degree of ignorance and intolerance for other Americans going about their lawful business and exercising their rights as the one that attacked Floorist for his choice of attire.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I was actually referring to the woman in the post that I had quoted/replied to. You know-the one that berated him over the shirt he was wearing.

But now that you mention it-the one in the OP was pretty comparable. She displays the same degree of ignorance and intolerance for other Americans going about their lawful business and exercising their rights as the one that attacked Floorist for his choice of attire.
So you assume that every person you see carrying a gun is doing so legally?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM

1,081 posts, read 551,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
What a surprise. Point went right over your head. And then you confirmed the point I was making.

And obviously, you haven’t been paying attention.

Not my issue.
Ok, you got me. I was not interested in indulging your race baiting today. But go ahead, what point are you trying to make since you are being obtuse about it?

Apparently it is your issue because you felt compelled to post here.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Until they demonstrate otherwise. Do you assume every black person (as an example-pick race of choice) is going to commit a crime?

I do realize that people such as the woman in the OP may live in a sheltered world and have not been exposed to cultures different than that they embrace. And as such are ignorant and fearful of things they haven't experienced. Still, no reason to jump to inaccurate conclusions about your fellow citizens.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM

1,081 posts, read 551,786 times
Quote:
Yes... I assume people are obeying the law.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Until they demonstrate otherwise. Do you assume every black person (as an example-pick race of choice) is going to commit a crime?
Not at all.

But if someone is wearing a shirt that tells me they have a problem with a group of people, and they are carrying a gun, it would give me pause.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:09 AM

14,067 posts, read 5,684,065 times
Quote:
Sure. Open carry in a holster? Why would criminal with no legal right to own, much less carry, a firearm do so when that mere act is a felony with a pretty stout prison sentence attached? Makes no sense, since open carry is such a beacon of attention.

I see open carry and figure 2A/hunting/gun enthusiast, who I trust to carry a weapon more than most police.

Again though, I have been around tons and tons of open carry, so it really doesn't bug me much.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Not at all.

But if someone is wearing a shirt that tells me they have a problem with a group of people, and they are carrying a gun, it would give me pause.
Again-would you feel the same about a black person wearing a Malcolm X shirt? I do understand-it is easy for those that have lived a sheltered life to fear those they do not understand or relate to. We all have inherent bigotry often caused by lack of knowledge or exposure.

"Ignorance, and prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand"

Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,558,543 times
Quote:
Just as i IMAGINE everyone I see driving a car is doing so legally. Or crossing the street in a crosswalk. Or speaking in public. Or posting in a public forum.
"God must love idiots"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies