Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,379,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There was a situation. There is always a situation. You think she wasted police resources. Many people disagree with you. So sad.
Should I have called the police because after the Boston Marathon bombing there was a lone middle eastern man dressed oddly with a puffy backpack at an event I was attending? No one else had a backpack at this type of event and it was mostly families. I chose to leave. It was up to others attending if they were good with it but I wasn't taking any chances. Did not call police because I was uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:11 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,973,372 times
Quote:
You do?

And how were his rights violated?

Quote:
They pay their taxes which built and maintains the park just as theirs and yours do.

He has EVERY RIGHT to use it.

HIS RIGHTS to not get to be "infringed" upon because some whacko is afraid of the sight of a gun.

There are those here who are saying the man should NOT be in the park because he's carrying a firearm. The man has every right to use that park, which his tax dollars are paying for.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,982,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Should I have called the police because after the Boston Marathon bombing there was a lone middle eastern man dressed oddly with a puffy backpack at an event I was attending? No one else had a backpack at this type of event and it was mostly families. I chose to leave. It was up to others attending if they were good with it but I wasn't taking any chances. Did not call police because I was uncomfortable.
I don't know. Should you have?

You make your choices. Others make their choices. It's a free country. See how that works?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,982,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
There are those here who are saying the man should NOT be in the park because he's carrying a firearm. The man has every right to use that park, which his tax dollars are paying for.
Then rebut those posters. In the meantime, the woman saw something and called the police to evaluate it. No one's rights were violated. He wasn't prevented from using the park.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 AM

1,374 posts, read 883,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He was effectively DETAINED for no reason. Yes, his rights were violated. For however long it took to be questioned, he lost his freedom.

In PA, open carry is legal with no permit/license. In the City of Philadelphia who illegally imposed more restrictions, it is legal only if you have a valid PA concealed carry license (LTCF). While I have an LTCF, I never open carry, especially in Philly. They have a right to stop you, and ask fro your ID, and carry license if they see you Open Carrying due to their stupid law. Sometimes they WILL harass you over it. I know someone who won a lawsuit against the Philly PD over just this issue.

In the jurisdiction in question, there is no requirement to have a license.
He wasn't effectively anything. For the third time, it's a fake story. This did not happen.

It's a viral ad for Warrior 12 apparel.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 AM

50,584 posts, read 47,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
He wasn't effectively anything. For the third time, it's a fake story. This did not happen.

Both of my stories are very real. Those types of people are, unfortunately, very common once they leave the big city.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:41 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,379,353 times
Quote:
I don't know. Should you have?

You make your choices. Others make their choices. It's a free country. See how that works?
No I should not have called the police. He didn't do anything or make any threats. He just looked suspicious because of the marathon bombing. More suspicious looking than a man open carrying at a park playing with his kids. But we are not supposed to profile minorities.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 AM

1,081 posts, read 552,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post

This whole narrative may or may not be factual but it did open a discussion among us. It shows the difference of the microcosm societies in which we live. We do not live the same lives under the same conditions. This is the whole reason we have the government structure that we do. Those in the 'burbs or in heavily police-secured areas do not have the same concerns as those in the countryside and vice-versa.

In my area of Wisconsin open carry is an uncommon occurrence but still happens. However, it is not seen as a "situation". Our police would be quite busy rounding up all the open carry people who are wearing pro-2A shirts. No one here gives more than a casual glance at someone who has a pistol on their hip. I think it's a bit silly to show-your-cards when CCW is an option but still, not a "situation" when someone open carries. Someone brandishing would necessitate a "situation". I have turkeys, minks, and foxes in my yard regularly. Drive 20 minutes out of my area and take a walk, you could be eaten by a bear or a lion (they rarely come into the city: https://youtu.be/mxWQkTF-4Pc) That walk may necessitate a side arm to defend yourself.

Given that this occurred in a state where open carry is also a common occurrence and people take great pride in the 2A, her reaction was irrational for the society she lives in. Think about the idea of irrational and what makes something rational or irrational - it's the norms of the society that you live in. The guy in this narrative was in a park. He was obviously worried about predators (either two legged or four) and had a side arm with him. It is an open carry state and a society where open carry is acceptable.

As an aside: I feel for the people in West and South Chicago, they really do live in a war-zone. I can completely understand why they wish to carry. They live in a place plagued by predators of the two-legged variety. If I went back to Iraq, I would definitely want a firearm for defense.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,197,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Beep... Beep... drive by race-baiter. You can count on ATG5 to inject race into everything.
So you don’t have anything mature to respond with or a counter?

No?

Sounds about right for you.

Remind me, is it Asian, black or Hispanic men or white women who are shooting up schools, malls, churches and music venues, or...? Good for this woman.

Move along.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 AM

1,081 posts, read 552,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So you don’t have anything mature to respond with or a counter?

No?

Sounds about right for you.

Remind me, is it Asian, black or Hispanic men or white women who are shooting up schools, malls, churches and music venues, or...? Good for this woman.

Move along.
Thanks for proving me right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies