Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 01:59 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Because those alternatives are worse for you though.

The status quo is currently worse for others depending on their lot in life (for example, those 500K Iraqis you had killed).
Yea, I already admitted to a strong personal bias in favor of myself, not sure what your point is. Same thing as everyone everywhere pretty much, with very few exceptions - most people are just afraid to admit it. Assuming you still live in the US, why haven't you left? You have blood on your hands. Put your money where your mouth is and immigrate somewhere that never drops bombs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
If the laborer willingly enters into a personal contract with an employer they have the right to whatever is spelled out in that contract.

By voiding the possible existence of this contract you've enslaved/owned both parties because they aren't free to a consensual agreement.
The ‘employer’ has no right to exist. In anarcho-capitalism the government has no right to exist so who’d you say you’re not allowing them to work for the government?

If you have private ownership eventually all the means of production will be owned by certain individuals and a worker MUST labor away for one of them. That’s not freedom of choice, that’s slavery.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:01 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The ‘employer’ has no right to exist. In anarcho-capitalism the government has no right to exist so who’d you say you’re not allowing them to work for the government?

If you have private ownership eventually all the means of production will be owned by certain individuals and a worker MUST labor away for one of them. That’s not freedom of choice, that’s slavery.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My problem isn’t with you personally, and I apolgize if I insulted you, but it’s the belief system of libertarianism that makes absolutely no sense. I know many who accept libertarianism and similar beliefs, and most are very intelligent logical people. But there is a disconnect between those philosophies and human nature. It’s a war that can’t be won. Government and authority will always exist one way or another. A government doesn’t have to be tyrannical, but I’m sure many with your worldview will say they are inherently tyranical, and that’s where you guys lose me, what’s to debate with that. It’s here, you can change the wheel, but it can’t be broken. A new wheel will simply replace the old one, it has to, that’s how nature works.
To respond to this and zzzSnorlax...

The ingredient you're missing is that in order for a stateless society to exist, you need enough people who agree with the philosophy, or else they will just form a new government. Even Ancaps argue over when/if that will ever happen, but it's definitely not impossible, or in conflict with human nature.

The other question is whether you consider it government if people simply organize, by choice, for collective defense. We're fine with that, and encourage it actually. We're just against forcing anyone into our collective if they never agreed to be part of it.

The sustainability of it comes from the number of ancaps outnumbering (or just having superior force to) the people who want to initiate force. Then if they try it, defensive force will be used to shut them down.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
What about the millions of innocent people the U.S. government has killed at your behest over just the past 20 years?

That's a "democratic state" in comparison to Somalia.

How much collateral damage is acceptable and who decides?
Libertarianism wouldn't stop the murder of millions over a similar time period. It would just allow certain groups to more freely murder the millions of libertarians, with no state protection, that were dumb enough to believe in libertarianism.

Libertarianism perfectly serves whichever state benefits from the dissolution of other states. See the millions of Russians murdered, who were "free" from their prior monarchy, by the foreign agent controlled government that replaced it.

Libertarianism and communism have parallel social prescriptions and thus parallel political effects.

Making promises without a historical precedent to point to is both childish and delusional. If libertarianism was good or worked, then we'd have it. Its as inherently evil as communism because it convinces people to adopt the social politics of a politically vulnerable slave class. People need shared values and enforced social prescriptions, to engender military and other cooperation, in order to be able to defy larger militarily strong forces.

Appealing to "murder" sounds just like the delusional politics of the sixties population that was ruined under the onslaught of high drug availability and crumbling social values.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yea, I already admitted to a strong personal bias in favor of myself, not sure what your point is. Same thing as everyone everywhere pretty much, with very few exceptions. Assuming you still live in the US, why haven't you left? You have blood on your hands.
I'm peacefully living here. Why should I leave. You're trying to inflict violence on me. I'm not trying to inflict violence on you.

Also, if I do "leave" will you guarantee that I won't be fined, caged, or killed in the future at your behest? You just ordered drone strikes on Somalia last year and killed innocents. What if that was me?

So to recap, I'm not the one committing aggression. Morally and logically I have every right to be in any geographic area I wish. Two, you can't guarantee me complete detachment from your nefarious agenda of raping, stealing, torturing and killing no matter where I go (see Somalia).

Even if I could get something in writing from you I think you'd insist on using your courts/arbitrators.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Think compounding population growth. It won't be so "ridiculous" when the US population gets to the tipping point and the Fed Gov runs out of OPM (other people's money) to fund the incredibly expanding welfare-dependent population's subsistence.

3 to 1 birth rate. 3 to 1. Public assistance-dependent to self-supporting.

Did you ever do the Bio 101 experiment where a microorganism was introduced into a petri dish with a nutrient medium? Everything hums along fine for a while. But then the microorganism overpopulates the dish, what with being fed and all, exhausts the nutrient medium, is not able to produce/procure its own food, and then the organisms begin dying off until the dish population is extinct.

Welcome to your future.
I don’t agree with government welfare, it’s a solution that doesn’t acknowledge the root problem (capitalism). Nonetheless taking it away while retaining private and government ownership to production capacities will not fix anything.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Do you ever feel guilty about willingly supporting the killing of millions of people?

I'm not being facetious or condescending. You have obviously put at least some thought into this. How does it make you feel that you knowingly play a role in the death and destruction of other people who have committed no acts of aggression upon you?
Would you Snorlaxx or any other statists like to address this?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:09 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
I'm peacefully living here. Why should I leave. You're trying to inflict violence on me. I'm not trying to inflict violence on you.

Also, if I do "leave" will you guarantee that I won't be fined, caged, or killed in the future at your behest? You just ordered drone strikes on Somalia last year and killed innocents. What if that was me?

So to recap, I'm not the one committing aggression. Morally and logically I have every right to be in any geographic area I wish. Two, you can't guarantee me complete detachment from your nefarious agenda of raping, stealing, torturing and killing no matter where I go (see Somalia).

Even if I could get something in writing from you I think you'd insist on using your courts/arbitrators.
Well, you are presumably not in prison, thus I can also assume you pay taxes(theft) in order to maintain your freedom, thus everything you have just accused me of, you are also guilty of supporting financially. Even if you don't, you are paying sales taxes which still indirectly support said violence. If you care so much, you could move somewhere with a different foreign policy where you do not support said decisions financially, but you decline to do so - why do you not feel guilty? You care enough about the issue to deride other people about things they may or may not support, but continue to provide financial support to the very actions you decry.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:09 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Would you Snorlaxx or any other statists like to address this?
Are you saying we should violently overthrow the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies