Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 11:55 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
As for me, I put forth 2000 years of Celtic Irish anarchy as my non-hypothetical historical record.

or violent action by the State to keep competitors out of the market.
Corporations have hired private thugs before to bust up competition or unions happened alot in Colorado in the early 20th century no government required. As for "celtic anarchy" I can't speak on that as I would need to do more research on the subject. In pre industrial times people generally were freer and had more autonomy generally speaking heck in hunter gatherer societies they were essentially anarchist in nature. I do know that capitalism as it has been practiced now and in the past can certainly lead to tyranny and oppression just as state can hence why I don't think trusting in that system fully is the best for human liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Corporations have hired private thugs before to bust up competition or unions happened alot in Colorado in the early 20th century no government required. As for "celtic anarchy" I can't speak on that as I would need to do more research on the subject. In pre industrial people generally were freer and had more autonomy generally speaking heck in hunter gatherer societies they were essentially anarchist in nature. I do know that capitalism as it has been practiced now and in the past can certainly lead to tyranny and oppression just as state can hence why I don't think trusting in that system fully is the best for human liberty.
Remember, it was the CO National Guard killed the striking miners at Ludlow; the governor called them in at the behest of the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (owned by the Rockefellers). That is the textbook definition of crony corporatism--government force to benefit private business.

Thomas Woods is a historian with a Ph.D from Columbia University; dude knows his stuff. Here's a discussion about Irish anarchy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJuaxKPaME

Old 04-21-2018, 12:48 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
He made great points unlike your pointless zinger.
Wait, I thought you were a leftist (like myself).

I think we can agree nationalism hurts traditional leftist thought, right?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Wait, I thought you were a leftist (like myself).

I think we can agree nationalism hurts traditional leftist thought, right?
I am not a anarchist. Yes I am a moderate leftist and not a fan of nationalism but I think anarcho capitalism is far more detrimental to human freedom and dignity. I also was unaware of that posters nationalist stance I just thought he made some great points against anarcho capitalism.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:58 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Assuming stateless zones had capitalism operating it is inevitable monopolies would form to fill in the power vacuum. Without a state to bust up a company it is unlikely its momentum could be slowed. Great example is all the big corps in the USA right now lots of them engage in unethical practices use sweatshop labor and the like and the consumers by and large do nothing. Fundamentally capitalism can lead to many immoral and oppressive situations but I suppose that is fine as long as there is no state because government oppression is bad but capitalist oppression is good?
No you're making the same mistake you're claiming libertarians/an-caps are making. You assume the issue is capitalism without examining the effects of state. Invariably when monopolies bludgeon workers, suppliers, and consumers they use the government to do so. It looks better to customers when the company can disclaim responsibility. Without that curtain, customers know the actions of that company and many will not be customers for long, thus destroying the monopoly.

Hey its got as much validity as your claims since we both have zero evidence to back it up.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Without that curtain, customers know the actions of that company and many will not be customers for long, thus destroying the monopoly.
Customers have plenty of information at there fingertips today and still unethical business practices beat out ethical ones by a long shot. I am wary of attempting to give corporate entities even more power hence my opposition to anarcho capitalism.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:02 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
I am not a anarchist. Yes I am a moderate leftist and not a fan of nationalism but I think anarcho capitalism is far more detrimental to human freedom and dignity. I also was unaware of that posters nationalist stance I just thought he made some great points against anarcho capitalism.
He/she mentioned right-wing nationalism at the end their post.

Unfettered capitalism is dangerous (or any form of capitalism) but right wing capitalist believe in state and private authoritarianism as opposed to the one ancaps believe in.

Furthermore the former is more prone to militarism and other forms of state violence.

Leftism in its origins was in preference of giving power to the weak and downtrodden rather than the state and the private capitalists. Leftism is inherently anarchic.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Customers have plenty of information at there fingertips today and still unethical business practices beat out ethical ones by a long shot. I am wary of attempting to give corporate entities even more power hence my opposition to anarcho capitalism.
Corporations don't exist in anarcho-capitalism, as they are a State construct.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Corporations don't exist in anarcho-capitalism, as they are a State construct.
This is just nonsense on stilts.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:39 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Libertarianism is for political children.

Any time that you have to rely on shaming someone not to kill you (wahhh..wahddya a bunch of Statists?!? Don't hurt me!!), or otherwise rely on some form of mass agreement and successful voluntary behavioral control worldwide to implement your system (you know, because no State to enforce Laws nor defend borders from marauding groups), then you know that you've gone wrong in your logic. There will be no mass agreement, complete international trust, nor successful voluntary behavioral control on a scale significant enough that it obviates the State.

Libertarians are essentially gatekeepers for Left Wing ideology, and always were. Their aim is to essentially to capture people who are anti-Left from voting for the nationalist Right. Another more historical use is as a form of Left Wing revolution against Right Wing governments. Though, the Left Wing true believers who utilize libertarian ideals this way are always too happy to abandon principles of "muh freedom" when they gain power instead. See the modern Left vs their libertarian legacy in the American Revolution.
You claim the whining about not being killed is for kids? What's it called when you're claiming a group who don't share your political beliefs so don't vote for your 'team' are the gatekeepers of a ideology wholly offensive to that group?

Hey you know what, if you right wing statists just voted for an-caps and libertarians, you'd at least keep capitalism. You guys are the gatekeepers of Left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies