Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The idea that 'taxes are about you' is such an egotistical argument.
I have to agree. Just have everyone pay a flat tax. You'd still have some paying WAY more than others, but it would ease some of the resentment those who pay way more than their fair share have for those who pay way too little, or pay no federal income tax at all when filing their 1040. PLUS, many would be less willing to always raise tax rates on others because that tax rate hike impacts them, as well.

Using 10%, as an example...

$35,000 earner pays $3,500

$3.5 million earner pays $350,000

Same flat tax RATE, wildly different tax AMOUNT

For access to the exact same government services/benefits (albeit the higher-income are locked out of access to many if not all government cash transfer services/benefits, like public assistance)

Old 04-17-2018, 08:47 AM

19,641 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not possible. I plugged the info you gave ($33,000) for a single person, no dependents, into a tax calculator with NO deductions for anything whatsoever, and the federal income tax rate was less than 10%.

I honestly think a lot of people have NO idea how little they actually pay.
It's more than 10%, and they know how much they pay because the information is on their completed tax return. The point is some low income people do pay taxes in the thousands, which is a lot of money for them when every dollar counts. Some low income people pay Zero, get all kinds of benefits, and some get free money sent to them.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:51 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Which rich people?

Venture capitalists or
Bust out PE firms?

There is a difference

Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
In CA our tax dollars ($50million) goes to paying illegal alien legal fees. Why wouldn't anyone be pissed about this.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Im sure its natural to hate to see yourbmoney go down. But at the end of the day, if you can still afford that 5 bedroom house with a 2 car garage, a BMW for you and the lady and go out and have a nice meal every week, cant see ut being a big deal.

But thats my view on living good. If you can have the bare essentials and also afford to enjoy life, whats really there to complain about?
Would you be OK if you went into a store and nothing had a price tag on it and when you went to the cashier to find out how much an item costs, the cashier responded by saying "I don't know, how much do you make?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:14 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's more than 10%, and they know how much they pay because the information is on their completed tax return. The point is some low income people do pay taxes in the thousands, which is a lot of money for them when every dollar counts. Some low income people pay Zero, get all kinds of benefits, and some get free money sent to them.
15% is their marginal federal income tax rate. It's not their effective federal income tax rate. The two are not the same. With a $33,000 income, even with no dependents and/or deductions (other than the standard personal exemption for 1 person), their effective tax rate (what they actually pay) is below 10%.

Effective Tax Rate vs. Marginal Tax Bracket: What You Need to Know -- Your tax bracket and the percentage of your income you actually pay are two different things.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Try owning a restaurant or any other small retail business. My GF owns a food truck and works 70+ hours a week. Restaurant owners can work 90-100.

It's not my responsibility to pay for other peoples' leisure habits.
You're not.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
There’s a big difference between not having a flat screen TV and “working people to an early grave”. If you don’t want the TV, don’t work. You make the assumption that rich people don’t work hard. In fact, many are workaholics.
You make the assumption that I don't know what "rich" people are like.

Hint: we rarely watch TV at my house, but we have a few.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about tax slavery? I've posted the tax data (local, state, and federal).

The top 1% spends 43% of the year as tax slaves.

For the middle class, it's 25-27% of each year.

For the lowest quintile (20%), it's 13% of the year.

Which do you believe is adequate, and why isn't everyone subjected to tax slavery at the same percentage of each year?
I look more at what those of us who are at the upper end of your example here have to spend overall than how many months we have to pay taxes.

If you can pay taxes almost half the year and still come away with hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay bills, save for retirement, buy a home, a car, take vacations... you are kind of a jerk if you are railing mad at someone who walks away from their 13% of the year paying taxes and only has about 20k to live on...oftentimes for a family.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I have to agree. Just have everyone pay a flat tax. You'd still have some paying WAY more than others, but it would ease some of the resentment those who pay way more than their fair share have for those who pay way too little, or pay no federal income tax at all when filing their 1040. PLUS, many would be less willing to always raise tax rates on others because that tax rate hike impacts them, as well.

Using 10%, as an example...

$35,000 earner pays $3,500

$3.5 million earner pays $350,000

Same flat tax RATE, wildly different tax AMOUNT

For access to the exact same government services/benefits (albeit the higher-income are locked out of access to many if not all government cash transfer services/benefits, like public assistance)
Would this mythical flat rate pay for all the things we need to pay for to keep the government's "lights on" as it were?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies