Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw50 View Post
trump won because he was running against hillary

she said that she was going to put coal miners out of work. She called half of trump's deporables. She's not likeable, there is a reason she lost the nomination in 2008 to obama.
bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
I voted against Hillary, Trump was the only viable alternative.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:40 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
This is a very interesting thread. I know a few Trump voters that voted purely on one issue. That he was pro choice. We're forgetting about why the evangelicals voted for Trump. What I don't understand is how they continue to support him? "Trump signs 1.3 trillion dollar budget that still funds Planned Parenthood.' Seriously, how many mulligans does he get between his many sex scandals, infidelity, and now funding planned parenthood before the fanatics wake up and smell the coffee?

I agree that this last election was a choice between bad and bad, for different reasons. I also thought that Trump would be the president of a select few. Hillary would have been status quo but she was more qualified. I was hoping that she would win and be a one term president vs the corruption I saw in Trump. It was a difficult election and more of a symptom of what is wrong with our political system.

I think the biggest mistake is when the supreme court ruled that money is free speech. It paved the way for plutocracy. It's a brilliant strategy to keep America divided because we the people really do have the power to change things. We all have to learn how to be American's first and work together. In this climate, it seems next to impossible. This whole tribal thing is disturbing and destructive and gives the elites the upper hand on both sides.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I watched a couple of hours of the early cbs election night 2016 coverage on youtube while on the treadmill today. this was my first time watching as I attended a bonnie raitt concert on election night and missed most of the election coverage.

the cbs political pundits said repeatedly that republican voters were "resentful" for being left behind in the economic boom. republican voters wanted to return to the "50s" era. the "uneducated", "rural", "beer drinking" voters were "scared" of the "new diverse America". so many other negative assertions were made about trump voters. these political experts were dumbfounded about the results as trump appeared to be performing well above expectations by the pollsters by 9pm.

I'm not uneducated, resentful, beer drinking, nostalgic for the 50s (on the contrary), scared, or a rural resident. I voted for trump because I was tired of being called a deplorable, hateful, xenophobic, greedy, racist by the democrats because of my values and skin color. being insulted by Hillary and the democrats was the single most important reason I cast my vote for trump.

those of you who voted for trump, please tell the left why you did. and to the left, how about listening?
I didn't vote for Trump, but I will in 2020 if he survives. I've not seen such a level of hate for a single President since Nixon... and he escalated Viet Nam, so there was a very good reason to hate him.

The way the extreme left are acting is scary at best. Their version of diversity, of suppressing those they disagree with, is totalitarian authoritarian BS and completely unAmerican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I voted against Hillary, Trump was the only viable alternative.
I voted for Johnson, so I could sleep at night.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It was a backlash against the social liberalism of Obama's second term. The SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage and the increased transgender visibility was a big part of it. From Bruce Jenner becoming Caitlyn Jenner to the White House being lit up in rainbow colors all the way to Obama's directive to public schools, asking them to allow transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice, 2013-2016 was a nightmare era for the Christian Right. Most evangelicals perceived Obama as hostile to Christians and their way of life. They also realize that demographics and time isn't on their side and while Trump wasn't the perfect candidate, he was the best they were going to get.
I think you nailed it, but it would be interesting to look deeper into how Trump ended up winning the primary in the first place. We started with a large pool of like 16 candidates, some deeply Christian like Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz. I think Trump attracted people who were sick of business as usual politics. He set clear concise goals to problems that have frustrated Americans for a long time like seeing our politicians just let other countries rape us economically.

Most important, we want a strong leader, not someone who will back down. Obama talked tough but backed down and even threw a ton of money at Iran just to buy some time. Putin invaded another country, shot down airliners and again, we did nothing under Obama. Trump as already brought North Korea to a point where they are willing to back down. That's a strong leader.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Per OP and thread title - he won because the majority of voters in a majority of electoral voting states delivered him more electoral votes than his opponent.

Pretty much how every President who ever won a election did it.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I know a few Trump voters that voted purely on one issue. That he was pro choice. .
Pro Choice is a minor issue to even most conservatives since the majority are actually moderates. Most despised Hillary far more than they even cared pro or con about Liberal issues.

I told my Liberal DIL that Hillary would lose because people were not voting for Trump, they were voting against Clinton.

Too many moderate Democrats remember the last 30 years of Clinton. Might as well had Jeb Bush running for office.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:22 PM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I think you nailed it, but it would be interesting to look deeper into how Trump ended up winning the primary in the first place. We started with a large pool of like 16 candidates, some deeply Christian like Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz. I think Trump attracted people who were sick of business as usual politics. He set clear concise goals to problems that have frustrated Americans for a long time like seeing our politicians just let other countries rape us economically.

Most important, we want a strong leader, not someone who will back down. Obama talked tough but backed down and even threw a ton of money at Iran just to buy some time. Putin invaded another country, shot down airliners and again, we did nothing under Obama. Trump as already brought North Korea to a point where they are willing to back down. That's a strong leader.
That's certainly a better question. Personally, I think the fact that Trump was able to galvanize a small but loyal group of supporters, while the other candidates were basically splitting the rest of the Republican vote was a key factor. I kept waiting for the non-Trump Republicans to coalesce around a single candidate, but even up to the end that never really happened. Even in later primaries, Rubio and Cruz split this non-Trump vote and prevented any other candidate from surpassing Trump. I suppose that with 16 candidates, even a solid base comprising 20-30% of the vote can be enough to gain the nomination if the campaign works out for you. The Republican primary campaign certainly did work out well for Trump. All the free advertising from the media coverage of Trump's campaign certainly didn't hurt either.

The reason Trump beat Clinton is pretty clear to anyone who isn't blinded by "Russia, Russia, Russia" all the time. (I'm not saying that there was nothing being done by Russia, just that this was not the decisive factor). Clinton was a deeply flawed candidate who did NOTHING to reach out toward voters who were undecided or leaning toward Trump. You can't insult people and then wonder why they didn't vote for you.

More technically, she (like other Dems) has mostly abandoned one of the Democratic party's traditional bases, namely working class white voters. I'm not sure why they did this. This is a particularly large group of voters to alienate. I'm guessing that the party has been taken over by elitists who truly do think of these people as beneath them. The focus on group identity politics also has taken a toll. The Dems talk about "white privilege" in order to reassure minorities that they understand their plight and will work for them. Dems will have to excuse these white working class voters who are barely making enough to keep themselves afloat and often work 60+ hours a week if they don't feel particularly privileged and might well be resentful of those who tell them how great their lives are and how lucky they are to have things so good. This was the group of voters that delivered states like PA, OH, WI and MI to Trump, admittedly by very small margins. That was the reason for Trump's win.

These folks are NOT racists. They understand that minorities have issues and injustices to deal with, and the do sympathize. They just are looking for someone who is discussing issues important to them. A candidate who talks about bringing back well paying manufacturing jobs is naturally going to hold some appeal. A candidate who tells them they have it good because they are white and insults them by implying that they are racist is naturally not going to have any appeal whatsoever.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I watched a couple of hours of the early cbs election night 2016 coverage on youtube while on the treadmill today. this was my first time watching as I attended a bonnie raitt concert on election night and missed most of the election coverage.

the cbs political pundits said repeatedly that republican voters were "resentful" for being left behind in the economic boom. republican voters wanted to return to the "50s" era. the "uneducated", "rural", "beer drinking" voters were "scared" of the "new diverse America". so many other negative assertions were made about trump voters. these political experts were dumbfounded about the results as trump appeared to be performing well above expectations by the pollsters by 9pm.

I'm not uneducated, resentful, beer drinking, nostalgic for the 50s (on the contrary), scared, or a rural resident. I voted for trump because I was tired of being called a deplorable, hateful, xenophobic, greedy, racist by the democrats because of my values and skin color. being insulted by Hillary and the democrats was the single most important reason I cast my vote for trump.

those of you who voted for trump, please tell the left why you did. and to the left, how about listening?
Trump is president because he is "not Hillary". Seriously... the Clintons have so many skeletons in their closet that they can't even keep the closet door shut anymore.

Unfortunately, Trump has always been a 1st class dirtbag himself... and now he's a dirtbag with blood on his hands, just like Hillary. The last election was literally like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chFaesfO7fQ

Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 PM

62,955 posts, read 29,141,740 times
I voted for Trump because he wasn't a politician and had a lot of business experience. When he got knocked he got right back up and came back fighting. He was the only candidate that stood up for the enforcement of our immigration laws and returning our country to the rule of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies