Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just because you didn't see it in Google after a minute of searching doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Charter Service Seeks to Operate at Santa Monica Airport without City's Permission

JetSuite, a private air charter service operating out of SMO for the past several years, is now gearing up to launch an SMO outpost of JetSuiteX -— a self-styled “public charter” service offering private jet travel at prices competitive with commercial air travel out of Los Angeles International Airport. JetSuiteX aims to begin flight service on small aircraft (four to 30 seats) from SMO to Las Vegas, Carlsbad, and San Jose on Feb. 6. Compared to the thousands of dollars per hour normally paid for a private charter, JetSuiteX individual fares start as low as $29 each way to Carlsbad. And instead of the 1.5 hours it would otherwise take to make it through security, only a 15 minute advance arrival is required.

The city, however, has rejected JetSuiteX’s application to operate out of SMO. On Jan. 12 the city manager’s office made public a letter to the company outlining its “incomplete” paperwork. Presumably, JetSuiteX (operating as “Delux Public Charter”) would need the approval and cooperation of the airport in order to fly, and with the advertised launch date less than two weeks away, time is running out. However, as of this writing JetSuite showed no signs of retreat, having already sold out tickets on several days in February.

JetSuite CEO Alex Wilcox is unfazed by the city’s rejection. “We’ve got a federal right to operate there, and that’s our position. We’re going to show up on the 6th of February and take advantage of our right,” he told The Argonaut. In a Jan. 17 letter to SMO Manager Stelios Makrides, JetSuite makes a critical distinction between “commercial” operations, as the city has characterized JetSuiteX, and “public charters.”

I'm not saying who is right and wrong - but there was obviously a dispute concerning local authority versus federal authority.

From the owner's standpoint - he was bringing a service to the community - which was in demand since he was booked up before even starting the service there - and the city blocked him. It would have went to court, but then the decision was made to close the airport. So he had enough.
what you just posted describes a rejected application by the city of Santa Monica, not evidence that "they sued the owner because he was trying to bring service to the city."

in fact, there is no mention in that article of any lawsuit against JetSuite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:46 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
This example is the opposite of the trend. Nice advertising for California, but we see through it. When the chips are down, it takes PR stunts like this to try and plug the leaking dam.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Meh.

Usually business-friendly means anti-consumer/worker.
As if the average consumer/worker can afford modest housing in California. California is great if you have money.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Just the recent, HUGE tax-increase on gas that was implemented in the new-year. I can just imagine what this does to a business with say, 20 heavy-vehicles, that just eat gas, yowch.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what you just posted describes a rejected application by the city of Santa Monica, not evidence that "they sued the owner because he was trying to bring service to the city."

in fact, there is no mention in that article of any lawsuit against JetSuite.
I understand - I don't know how far it got before they decided to close the airport - but there was direct action either existing or imminent regarding the company and the city.

I am not regarding as a total lie.

If it was only about the airport issue like you stated, then I would agree with you.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:00 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
I will add this in the hopper... from 2015...

California lost 9,000 business HQs and expansions, mostly to Texas, 7-year study says

That’s the conclusion of study by Joseph Vranich, a site selection consultant and president of Irvine, California-based Spectrum Location Solutions.

Of the 9,000 businesses that Vranich estimates disinvested in California, some relocated completely while others kept their headquarters in California but targeted out-of-state locations for expansions, Vranich found. The report did not count instances of companies opening a new out-of-state facility to tap a growing market, an act unrelated to California’s business environment.

Japanese automaker Toyota, which is consolidating its North American headquarters in Plano over the next couple of years, is one of those companies. The company is leaving Torrance, California, and two other locations to set up shop in Plano, where it will employ 4,000.

It’s typical for companies leaving California to experience operating cost savings of 20 up to 35 percent, Vranich said. He said in an email to the Dallas Business Journal that he considers the results of the seven-year, 378-page study “astonishing.”

Texas ranked as the top state to which businesses migrated, followed by: (2) Nevada, (3) Arizona, (4) Colorado, (5) Washington, (6) Oregon, (7) North Carolina, (8) Florida, (9) Georgia and (10) Virginia. Texas was the top destination for California companies each year during the seven-year study period.

------------------------------

Last month from the same researcher...

Expert: Proposed corporate tax hike in California could drive more businesses to Texas

An attempt by California politicians to raise the state’s corporate income tax rate will drive more businesses from the Golden State to Dallas-Fort Worth and other locales with similarly business-friendly laws and policies, a top site selection consultant and researcher predicts.

“I’ve got to tell you this has just caused an uproar out here,” Joseph Vranich, president of Irvine, California-based Spectrum Location Solutions, told the Dallas Business Journal in an interview Monday. “If anything is representative of cruel and oppressive treatment, this has reached new levels.”

Vranich was referring to an attempt led by Democratic State Assembly members in California to raise the state’s business taxes in response to President Trump’s federal tax overhaul.

The measure would more than double the state’s corporate income tax rate, giving California the nation’s highest rate of 18.84 percent, up from the current rate of 8.84 percent. The legislators who sponsored the California amendment characterized it as “middle class tax justice” and argued that, given federal cuts in the corporate tax rates, businesses could afford to pay more in California taxes.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 04-17-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
California huge economy ... and highest poverty rate in the state when you account for cost of living.. according to the Census.

$15 min wage which is coming soon will motivate a lot more businesses to move out

Why operate in CA when people eat and shop in Texas too? Min wage probably won’t be more than $9 in Texas when it’s $15 in CA . Huge difference .

Plus crazy high rents and all the red tape businesses have to go through .

Texas just seems much more attractive for business .
Texas still uses the federal minimum of $7.25/hr; which is pathetic

Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
What would you replace it with in four words or less?
Worker friendly, two words; i.e. the few non RTW states left in this country like NY and CA

Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
I'll use my business as a example of doing business in CA.... I have 4 employees who all make between 40 and 50K a year. This month is the killer taxes. I have to pay 8500.00 in employee, quarter and sales tax. My workman's comp just got raised to 2000.00 a month even though I've never filed a claim in 23 years. I have to cancel my health ins now because I can't afford 2200.00 for it on top of car ins, liability ins, WC,. Our shop rent for a 1100sq ft shop is 1800.00 and we have no hot water, heat or AC. We bring in over 350,000 a year and always end the year in the red. Unfortunately my business in not transferable to another state. We might make it another year here but I have my doubts. I'd like to sell it but doubt I'd get a buyer with that profit and loss.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I don't think you read your link very well...they attribute more people in CA due to new babies being born and people from foreign nations moving in....
By one reckoning, "people from foreign countries moving in" is an excellent criterion by which to recommend a place. After all, the foreign-born have potentially their choice, of where in the country to settle. If they choose California, it is presumably not because they are idiots, but because there are advantages to living in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
better climate...
And this really is a huge factor, at least for some of us. Today, the 17th of April, 2018, it is snowing in my part of Ohio. Snowing! In a few months, it will be 90-degrees heat, with 80% humidity. In Texas, or at least much of Texas (it's a big state), there is probably no snow today... but in a few months, it will be substantially hotter and more humid than in Ohio.

California, or at least coastal California, really is remarkable in the quality of its climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies