Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:35 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This isn't about illegals. Contrary to what some liberals think because they like to lump all immigrants together, many immigrants are here legally.
Also, burglary is not considered to be a violent crime in any data that looks at crime statistics. It was a fair ruling as far as I'm concerned.
Yep. He's a lawful permanent resident. States so in the ruling. Burglary. Not in and of itself a violent crime. Have him pay restitution, serve some jail time, etc.

If it had been armed robbery, different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Burglaries of an unoccupied residence are not considered violent crimes in any state that I'm aware of. It's a leap to say that it's a violent crime because the house "might" have been occupied and a resident could have been injured or killed. That would be like saying DUI is a violent crime because the impaired drive might have caused a collision and killed someone.

“I look at the text of the Constitution, always a good place to start, and the Due Process Clause speaks of the loss of life, liberty, or property."

I guess, the tourist didn't break anything he could not pay for out of his pocket and didn't take anything.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Anyone who thinks Gorsuch is going to be a social Conservative is a fool. Scalia often ended up championing incredibly liberal social ideas because they fell on the right side of strict textualism.

Those people who think that abortion or gay rights are going to gutted by Gorsuch are going to be sorely disappointed because those ships have sailed. Gorsuch's effect on the Courts is going to be most felt in cases like Citizens United where corporations are further empowered.
I honestly doubt that will ever happen, by anyone.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I honestly doubt that will ever happen, by anyone.
I'd never say never. But yeah, SCOTUS is not likely to completely walk back gay rights/same-sex marriage or abortion rights any time soon.

Although I think that they are going to have to rule on how far states may go in regulating abortion some time in the near future.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Government wanted to deport alien on grounds that 2 burglaries were “dangerous” crimes, but the Supremes say no. The specifications of the statute in question were deemed too vague and thus unconstitutional by the 9th Circuit and the Supremes concurred.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...f?userid=57999

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-james-garcia/
it's obvious that Ginsburg took Gorsuch aside on his first day and said "Listen here ******wood, look over at me when we vote and I'll tug on my right ear for yes, or my left ear for no, less you want to end up like Scalia...see?"

Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This isn’t such a big issue anyway. It is about people who are here legally. It doesn't pertain to illegal aliens.

Thankfully, they can still be deported, and for a lot less.

Supreme Court Votes for Justice; Republicans Feel Betrayed

The knee-jerk Trumpists are deflecting from the facts, as expected, by claiming that this decision isn't any big deal. Well, it is a big deal, because it means that the slam-dunk they thought they were gaining against "justice for all", when the Supreme Court was stacked in favor of conservatives, isn't a sure thing at all.

The underhanded advantage republicans thought they were getting, by stonewalling Obama's pick for the court, during his last year in office, has backfired on them and probably will again, when they try to steamroll over the constitutional rights of their favorite targets, such as immigrants.

It must be a bitter pill for the right-wingers, to be faced with the fact that they don't own the Constitution. It's there to serve everyone, despite their mass-delusion that they are the chosen ones (the only ones), whose agenda it supports. We can be very thankful for the independence of our courts. If it hadn't been for them, slamming Trump's attempts at running a lawless dictatorship, time after time, we'd be in much worse shape by now.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 04-17-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 01:47 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
WHOOOOAAAAA Hang on -- so some of you conservatives, Trump fans, anti-illegals -- are now saying that if an illegal resident performs a non-violent crime they should be allowed to stay???

What -- wait -- hang on - so -- a person brought here as a baby -- who has graduated high school and now in university -- is all set to get a degree -- should be sent back to their homeland...but

Gorsuch made the right decision to say a criminal illegal should be allowed if it isn't a violent crime?

Am I missing something.
yep you are missing something.

this person was a LEGAL immigrant. utterly different. so you can stop breathlessly freaking out.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:48 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Gorsuch sides with liberals; allows criminal alien to avoid deportation

Or, perhaps he just sided with the law and conservatives are butt hurt because he didn't consider their wants and desires above the law.
or maybe we aren't butthurt because we agree with Gorsuch that laws should not be vague? maybe that's possible?

I tell you what lets go with your version. makes your world more comfortable to believe all conservatives are evil racist who hate everyone.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:58 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Supreme Court Votes for Justice; Republicans Feel Betrayed

The knee-jerk Trumpists are deflecting from the facts, as expected, by claiming that this decision isn't any big deal. Well, it is a big deal, because it means that the slam-dunk they thought they were gaining against "justice for all", when the Supreme Court was stacked in favor of conservatives, isn't a sure thing at all.

The underhanded advantage republicans thought they were getting, by stonewalling Obama's pick for the court, during his last year in office, has backfired on them and probably will again, when they try to steamroll over the constitutional rights of their favorite targets, such as immigrants.

It must be a bitter pill for the right-wingers, to be faced with the fact that they don't own the Constitution. It's there to serve everyone, despite their mass-delusion that they are the chosen ones (the only ones), whose agenda it supports. We can be very thankful for the independence of our courts. If it hadn't been for them, slamming Trump's attempts at running a lawless dictatorship, time after time, we'd be in much worse shape by now.
You guys are so desperate to eek out a wins when they dont really exist, that you twist reality to get them. That is why stories like this get sensationalized. That is why you equate illegal aliens with legal immigrants.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:07 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
yep you are missing something.

this person was a LEGAL immigrant. utterly different. so you can stop breathlessly freaking out.
Thank you to you and others who corrected me. I do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies