Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This isn't about illegals. Contrary to what some liberals think because they like to lump all immigrants together, many immigrants are here legally.
Also, burglary is not considered to be a violent crime in any data that looks at crime statistics. It was a fair ruling as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks for setting the record straight for me. I do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 02:22 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Supreme Court Votes for Justice; Republicans Feel Betrayed

The knee-jerk Trumpists are deflecting from the facts, as expected, by claiming that this decision isn't any big deal. Well, it is a big deal, because it means that the slam-dunk they thought they were gaining against "justice for all", when the Supreme Court was stacked in favor of conservatives, isn't a sure thing at all.

The underhanded advantage republicans thought they were getting, by stonewalling Obama's pick for the court, during his last year in office, has backfired on them and probably will again, when they try to steamroll over the constitutional rights of their favorite targets, such as immigrants.

It must be a bitter pill for the right-wingers, to be faced with the fact that they don't own the Constitution. It's there to serve everyone, despite their mass-delusion that they are the chosen ones (the only ones), whose agenda it supports. We can be very thankful for the independence of our courts. If it hadn't been for them, slamming Trump's attempts at running a lawless dictatorship, time after time, we'd be in much worse shape by now.
You should give it a rest at least once in a while. Your personal hatred isn't what this is about.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:32 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
I first thought this too, but then I looked it up. Apparently the dude in question was a legal immigrant. It appears that Gorsuch thought that the burglary wasn't violent enough to merit deportation under existing law.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
I kept telling people when Gorsuch was elected that he wasn't necessarily going to vote the way they expected. But the folks on the right cheered him on.

Gorsuch is a strict Constructionist, perhaps even more the Scalia was as Scalia was very willing to bend the edges of it to fit his preferences. Which may result in some really odd results for everyones politically based expectations.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Am I the only one who notices that the so-called Conservative justices are actually more flexible and open-minded than their Liberal colleagues?

Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Am I the only one who notices that the so-called Conservative justices are actually more flexible and open-minded than their Liberal colleagues?
Yes. Probably because you are wrong.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I kept telling people when Gorsuch was elected that he wasn't necessarily going to vote the way they expected. But the folks on the right cheered him on.

Gorsuch is a strict Constructionist, perhaps even more the Scalia was as Scalia was very willing to bend the edges of it to fit his preferences. Which may result in some really odd results for everyones politically based expectations.
he seems to be following what I expected. I want a strict constructionist who isn't doing things to bend to politics. this is a good test case for that in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:01 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Government wanted to deport alien on grounds that 2 burglaries were “dangerous” crimes, but the Supremes say no. The specifications of the statute in question were deemed too vague and thus unconstitutional by the 9th Circuit and the Supremes concurred.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...f?userid=57999

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-james-garcia/
As long as he follows his understanding of the constitution I'm good. It's the activist judges who think the constitution is an antiquated piece of paper that needs a modern progressive like themselves to update it, that concern me.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it's obvious that Ginsburg took Gorsuch aside on his first day and said "Listen here ******wood, look over at me when we vote and I'll tug on my right ear for yes, or my left ear for no, less you want to end up like Scalia...see?"
I wish...
Gorsuch has driven Ginsburg to distraction with his comments--
Like he is reinventing the wheel...

Old 04-17-2018, 04:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
he seems to be following what I expected. I want a strict constructionist who isn't doing things to bend to politics. this is a good test case for that in my opinion.
What Scalia and his toadies did was exactly that--bend to politics
They loved the conservatives that paid their way on hunting trips and paid rich stipends for think tank speeches
Don't think POLITICS doesn't enter into any of this
The Constitution itself is a POLITICAL document...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies