Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:01 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I doubt that was a popular song in the deep south back then.

Who created the list and declared those songs as not politically correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What we really should be asking is who put the list together? We always run with these lists by shadowy figures, but don't put them in the spotlight and have them explain their thinking. I don't buy that list for one second. They aren't fooling me. No identification, no explanation... it gets tossed in the trash.
These lists get made up by people who have to create clickbait for money. It's like those lists of "Shocking toys parents used to give their children" and "Shocking advertisements from the past" and "Shocking secrets about 'Bonanza' that they didn't want you to know."

'Way back in the late 80s, I was talking to a news producer of a new 24/7 news channel and asked her how confident she was in finding enough news to fill all the air time. Her response: "BS is better than static." Anything will go, just to fill up airtime.

So that's what we're getting--lots and lots of BS just to fill up the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Good list, I will add
Short People by Randy Newman
But again - Short People spoofs the idea of hating on people because they're short - or, by extension, hating on people for things they're powerless to change.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
I'll add this one to the list. "Johnny Are You ***** ? " by Josie Cotton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=457N1m4oUZw

Old 04-17-2018, 12:23 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
But again - Short People spoofs the idea of hating on people because they're short - or, by extension, hating on people for things they're powerless to change.
Yes, it is, and some of the other songs were as well.

It's not clear to me whether these list-makers are just playing their audience for saps or really don't understand concepts such as "satire."

Clearly, "All in the Family" and "Blazing Saddles" would also be forbidden today.

And, heck, the PC police are trying to eliminate "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Huckleberry Finn."

Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 PM

769 posts, read 782,032 times
Oh no!!! Someone put up a video so it must be true LOL! eyeroll...

Old 04-17-2018, 12:30 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'll add this one to the list. "Johnny Are You ***** ? " by Josie Cotton.
here's another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE

Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
When you consistently pander to the naivete' of the slowest minds in any group, you can be proud to identify yourself as a true "progressive/liberal".

Congratulations?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Holy crap, everyone take a deep breath.

Saying that something might be controversial is not the same thing as banning it.

I looked at that list, and there were a couple of things that made me uneasy - mostly with regards to the idea that being hit could feel like a kiss. That doesn't mean I think any of them should be banned, or that ANY art should be banned.

On the other hand, if we're not going to shut down the art, let's not shut down the people who say some of its content is disturbing. They, too, are entitled to an opinion. Right?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erobrer View Post
Pop music doesn't have to adhere to any cultural standards but many pop musicians choose to tone down controversial lyrics. Musicians in offensive genres like punk or metal, simply do not care about what current morals are in vogue nor have theses musicians cared about past morality either.
I think this is a good comment. Many choose to self-sensor... others don't.

The PC-police types tend to go after the big fish, and not so much the fringe artists.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:28 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Another day, another post by some middle American angry white male who thinks their freedom is being repressed because they can't go around saying the N-word like they used to without getting heat for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies