Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Even I didn’t pay it any attention, until my Shell card bill came in the mail. Holy cow!! My monthly bill was 20% higher than last month and we drove about the same mileage as usual.

WTH? I thought all of this new “drill everywhere you can including in my driveway” type of hands off business friendly deregulation was gonna lower gas prices or at least keep it the same!

Didn’t think I’d see $3 buck gas this year. And don’t tell me about supply and demand because demand is no crazier now than it was last year. Save it.

So someone tell me what’s going on?
It's supply and demand like always.

It's good news actually, higher gas prices will make the transition to Tesla and other battery powered cars faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:53 PM

37,180 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And what do the gas prices have to do with tariffs? Nothing. Gas prices go up and they go down. The problem is whenever they go down, they don't go all the way down to where they previously were so prices are always rising in the long run.
You were trained to pay what you do for gas a few years ago, when the price rose to the threshhold of pain, and then suddenly dropped again when consumption dropped. Then it crept back up. This was repeated over and over, and every time it dropped, it dropped to a nickel above the previous drop. Locally here in Columbia, gas went over $4.00 for a short while, and finally leveled off @ $2.00. Since Trump was elected, it has increased to @ $2.50.

The price of gas has to do somewhat with the price of crude oil, but as much to do with how much profit the companies want to bank. Any one who thinks companies should drill and find more oil so they can lower the price of gas at the pump is a complete damned fool. Business does not operate to sell you goods at a cheaper price, unless, like WalMart, they have beaten their vendors to the point they have to cut corners in manufacturing to satisfy their price point. Oil companies never will. You have two choices - take it, or leave it.

Tariffs affect the cost of everything in the pipeline from raw material to packaging (except for labor). When you get in a pissingf match on a global scale and tariffs are imposed by both sides, nobody wins, and especially the end users.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

It's good news actually, higher gas prices will make the transition to Tesla and other battery powered cars faster.
Gas prices in this country have nothing to do with supply and demand. You’re like the last person who still believes that it does. No more people are driving cars and demanding gas anymore than they were last year this same time. There’s still just as much gas available for market as there’s been any other time. There’s no shortage of gasoline supplies.

Stop it. Smart people are no longer fooled by that “supply and demand” line.

If it’s good for Tesla’s bottom line, then so be it. But that’s got nothing to do with my bank account.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

It also means that production in the US will be increasing. Investments in new drilling capacity, new wells, new transportation systems. Jobs in all of those industries. More money in those working in those facilities-rather than sending that money to foreign sources, including those hostile to the US and that support terrorism. Flip side-as those new sources come on line, additional supply puts downward pressure on prices.

Thankfully, the weather is finally breaking and I can get my bikes back on the road. 100 mile a day commutes are a little painful with the 4x4, the bike I primarily ride gets 45-50.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 PM

17,998 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Even I didn’t pay it any attention, until my Shell card bill came in the mail. Holy cow!! My monthly bill was 20% higher than last month and we drove about the same mileage as usual.

WTH? I thought all of this new “drill everywhere you can including in my driveway” type of hands off business friendly deregulation was gonna lower gas prices or at least keep it the same!

Didn’t think I’d see $3 buck gas this year. And don’t tell me about supply and demand because demand is no crazier now than it was last year. Save it.

So someone tell me what’s going on?
Holy Cow! It's gone up a whole 4 cents!

From 2.49 to 2.53!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananawax55 View Post
How is this a political thread Seems more fitting for automotive to me
Stick around for a while, you'll learn.

Gas has really climbed here. Regular was around 1.99ish a year ago, now it is $ 2.69 today. Everything I drive runs on Premium, and that is over $3.00, and going up daily.

At least we rode the cheap gas train for quite a while. I can't blame it on Trump, there are a lot of other factors that enter into it, like oil companies gearing up for the Summer blend, which costs more to make.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:27 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
What's stopping you?
Work. 3 more years and retirement and bye bye Cali, and I won't let the door hit me in the tush either.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Exactly. We’re not even two minutes into spring and people are talking about summer driving season. Please

Gas prices in this country have NOTHING to do with supply and demand.
It is not about driving season, but about the actual gasoline. There is a winter blend, which is cheaper, and usually comes out two minutes into fall even if it is sweltering, and summer blend, which usually comes out two minutes into spring even if there is still snow falling. The summer blend tends to be 10-25% more than the winter blend, for whatever reason. It also is rolling out into gas stations as we speak, so prices are now going up dramatically as they are switching from winter to summer blend.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:31 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Gas prices in this country have nothing to do with supply and demand. You’re like the last person who still believes that it does. No more people are driving cars and demanding gas anymore than they were last year this same time. There’s still just as much gas available for market as there’s been any other time. There’s no shortage of gasoline supplies.

Stop it. Smart people are no longer fooled by that “supply and demand” line.

If it’s good for Tesla’s bottom line, then so be it. But that’s got nothing to do with my bank account.
If you truly don't believe prices are subject to supply and demand, it's like denying that the world is round. Yes, other factors such as the dollar valuation, unrest, etc. are factors but the driver will always always always always always always be....Supply and Demand

Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
To hell with Texas. They certainly don’t care about the misfortunes of non Texans.

I’m more than willing to pay more to help all Americans, but not just for the benefit of oil production States. Screw them.
Hopefully you'll be paying $6 a gallon before the end of summer. Thanks

I just gassed up at $2.40 a gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies