Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wrong. this was after-hours twitter blather and had zilch to do with teaching.
Which was exactly my point.

If that professor had gone on an after-hours Twitter tirade that parroted MAGA talking points, I would still be saying that tenure was designed to protect that professor's job, too.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:26 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which was exactly my point.

If that professor had gone on an after-hours Twitter tirade that parroted MAGA talking points, I would still be saying that tenure was designed to protect that professor's job, too.
Suppose that professor weren't merely parroting MAGA talking points, but hoped Barak Obama and all of his family would die, while linking himself to the university? How secure do you think his continuing employment with that university or his future employability at any other university would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Suppose that professor weren't merely parroting MAGA talking points, but hoped all of Barak Obama's family would die, while linking himself to the university? How secure do you think his continuing employment with that university or his future employability at any other university would be?
If, for example, someone in Mr. Obama's family had passed away and this professor indicated that they were glad because this person was a racist or something, yes... I would think it was disrespectful, but I would agree that tenure was the reason that this person still had a job.

That would be the apples to apples sort of comparison you were searching for.

And, while I could see why tenure kept that person's job, I could make no guarantees re: future jobs (note: tenured professors do not usually give up tenure and switch jobs), but I could say the same about this Fresno State professor. She won't switch jobs here in the US. She has tenure, why should she?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
If, for example, someone in Mr. Obama's family had passed away and this professor indicated that they were glad because this person was a racist or something, yes... I would think it was disrespectful, but I would agree that tenure was the reason that this person still had a job.

That would be the apples to apples sort of comparison you were searching for.

And, while I could see why tenure kept that person's job, I could make no guarantees re: future jobs (note: tenured professors do not usually give up tenure and switch jobs), but I could say the same about this Fresno State professor. She won't switch jobs here in the US. She has tenure, why should she?
Don't restate my question with her milder rhetoric and then answer it. How about answering the actual question I asked: Do you think a professor who openly looked forward to ALL of Obama's family dying would still have a job by the end of the week? What about a professor who openly called for throwing grenades into a private citizen's home?

Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Just saw on the Fresno tv news that no disciplinary action will be taken against the professor.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
The looney left just can’t help themselves .

Old 04-24-2018, 07:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Not seeing the issue. Who cares what one woman on social media has to say? So, she didn't like Barbara Bush. Eh. I'm sure Barbara Bush had people she didn't like much, either. Trump comes to mind.

Okay. How about tweeting that if people have complaints they should call the number she provided which was actually to a mental health hotline?

Do you see that issue?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
this nasty woman shouldn't be fired. I agree with her employer's statement and stand that no action by the school should be or will be taken against her about Barbara bush as the woman has free speech. but, her encouraging others to spam a crisis/suicide help line really should be punished. her stunt effectively shut down this service for two days due to dozens of spam phone calls an hour.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ush/532486002/

Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Okay. How about tweeting that if people have complaints they should call the number she provided which was actually to a mental health hotline?

Do you see that issue?
It seems like she probably needs that number more than anyone .

Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I have no problems with their decision.

Freedom of speech and she did it on her own online account off hours!

Funny though that the above reasons would be the exact same ones used by her haters on here, if some teacher or professor went on a diatribe against Hillary Clinton or some other liberal figure, or some hateful messages against a black teenager who was killed by cops.

Can't have it both ways now, can we folks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies