Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 01:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm still glad McCain lost even though Obama ended up giving him a run for his money in the war Monger department.
As a Democrat, of course I'm glad, too, that Obama won. However, that doesn't prevent me from appreciating it when McCain does something I consider commendable, and I certainly appreciate all the more in retrospect, his overall sanity and courtesy, when compared to the vulgar, unhinged Republican president we're now stuck with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 01:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
As a Democrat, of course I'm glad, too, that Obama won. However, that doesn't prevent me from appreciating it when McCain does something I consider commendable, and I certainly appreciate all the more in retrospect, his overall sanity and courtesy, when compared to the vulgar, unhinged Republican president we're now stuck with.
When he does something commendable I'll consider giving him credit.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Palin was the pilot episode for the new version of the GOP. She proved that openly appealing to racists, nativists, misogynists, anti-gay bigots, Neo Nazis and the KKK was a winning strategy for today's Republican Party. She was as dumb as a box of rocks but she hated the right people and that is all that counts to many GOP voters.

It was unfortunate to see McCain take a dump on his entire legacy of public service by aligning himself even temporarily with the white nationalist wing of the Republican Party.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Palin was the pilot episode for the new version of the GOP. She proved that openly appealing to racists, nativists, misogynists, anti-gay bigots, Neo Nazis and the KKK was a winning strategy for today's Republican Party. She was as dumb as a box of rocks but she hated the right people and that is all that counts to many GOP voters.
How did she prove it was a winning strategy? They lost.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:20 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How did she prove it was a winning strategy? They lost.
They lost the Presidential election but it worked as a proof of concept that an open racist and bigot could still be a viable candidate for the GOP's conservative base. Especially in Republican leaning states or heavily gerrymandered districts. Palin was basically the first attempt to "primary out" any Republicans that weren't on board with the alt right, white nationalist agenda.

Case in point, Jeff Flake is retiring from the Senate and the GOP is going to get stuck in the general election with one of three certified nutbags - Martha McSally, Chemtrail Kelli Ward, or Nickel Bag Joe Arpaio.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...na-senate-race

Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
The GOP conservative BS started when McCain ran for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination. The Straight Talk Express was his campaign slogan and it was energetic and magnetic. I was pulling for him. Unfortunately, George Bush had the name and an unscrupilous team led by Carl Rove that took down the Express in South Carolina.

The 2008 McCain was a pale shadow of that 2000 version. He was an old dog in the midst of a bunch of yapping Chihuahuas, the breed that is noisy and mean, but his alliance with them got him nominated. I was looking for anything resembling the Straight Talk Express and found nothing. That was sad, then, he lost again to a candidate that had a better team.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Steve Bannon directed a documentary, The Undefeated, about Sarah Palin many years ago that I found very interesting. All I knew was what mainstream media spoonfed the masses. The reality is very different. Palin had quite a remarkable career in Alaska that few know about. I can see why she was a threat to Dems at that time.

The Undefeated documentary on youtube

Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Anyone see Frontline last night? (Probably airing again in the next few days.)

The program was on John McCain, but what I found particularly interesting was that after he got stuck with Sarah Palin - someone who was not at all a good match - she boosted his campaign, as we know, but also de-railed things, in a way.

Frontline opines that Palin was the turning point for when the Tea Party gained prominence and Republicans went off a cliff in a big way. That was when there was a big uptick in the violent rhetoric, the contempt for the "elite," the threats toward journalists, etc. (Of course, Palin's low-end background and opportunist attitude make it clear why she would hate "elites.") It's not new, of course, but they think that's when it became insanely over-the-top. And led to Trump. There was McCain, saying, as was traditionally proper, that Obama was a decent guy, while supporters were ranting that Obama was Muslim, or Kenyan, or Martian.

Inside John McCain’s complicated relationship with President Donald Trump and his own Republican Party.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/mccain/
Thanks
Didn't see this advertised--was it shown all PBS stations?
I have Roku and PBS so can watch there if not on my local

Wouldn't they also have to include Romney in the equation--
Romney failing -- traditional conservative, not charismatic really like Trump
Surely that had an effect on how the GOP base skewed to Trump...

Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
They lost the Presidential election but it worked as a proof of concept that an open racist and bigot could still be a viable candidate for the GOP's conservative base. Especially in Republican leaning states or heavily gerrymandered districts. Palin was basically the first attempt to "primary out" any Republicans that weren't on board with the alt right, white nationalist agenda.

Case in point, Jeff Flake is retiring from the Senate and the GOP is going to get stuck in the general election with one of three certified nutbags - Martha McSally, Chemtrail Kelli Ward, or Nickel Bag Joe Arpaio.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...na-senate-race
What can you say when all the relatives are certifiable?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarallel View Post
as a democrat, of course i'm glad, too, that obama won. However, that doesn't prevent me from appreciating it when mccain does something i consider commendable, and i certainly appreciate all the more in retrospect, his overall sanity and courtesy, when compared to the vulgar, unhinged republican president we're now stuck with.
amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies