Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That. ^ Exactly. Too many Americans are financially illiterate.
That is true, Ive never thought about it like that, financing a car is a TERRIBLE decision, the only ones benefiting are the banks and dealerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is true, Ive never thought about it like that, financing a car is a TERRIBLE decision, the only ones benefiting are the banks and dealerships.
And all the people who work in automobile manufacturing?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/38...-loan-guidance

Voted to repeal the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau guidelines to inform people buying cars
Yeah---GOP
Make us aware of how much you really care about the average working men and women of America!!

Let them run on THAT benefit to Americans in 2018....
I know why all the fuss. It's as if anything 0bama did as president was perfect, and to repeal it is to send us back into the Stone Age.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You mean I don't have to hear that hyper-active chipmunk who reads gibberish at the end of every car ad?
GREAT! It's not like anyone could understand him anyway.
If the CFPB did its job, all that gibberish that no one could understand would have to be actually intelligible. IMO, the CFPB is a good concept but could have been better executed.

I simply see that bureau as some protections put in place because when businesses are not kept in check at all, they do everything in their power to make every possible dollar they can regardless of the deceit to the customer. They will go so far as to break the laws that aren't being enforced.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Financing a car is a decision that must be weighed against other factors, like the cost of not having reliable transportation, the cost of having to live near work, etc.

If someone is in a situation where they have $0, no access to transportation, and just took their first job that they need to get to-and-from, then financing a car is not necessarily such a terrible decision.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
If the CFPB did its job, all that gibberish that no one could understand would have to be actually intelligible.
The CFPB's job is not to be Czar of Everything

It doesn't have the kind of authority that lets it dictate what car ads look like -- it can only do what Congress allows.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I was told that with the low interest rates that you were stupid for not financing and investing the money instead. Most likely from many of those who demean those who have to borrow to get a reliable car. Because that's really what it is about. Demeaning others.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2001 View Post
Here is an idea, let consumers opt to pay a fee that allows them to call in to a government help line when they are doing something and need their parents to help them.
what a silly idea

Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2001 View Post
Why?
Because you'd be charging money to provide advice to the precise demographic that is least likely to have money to spend on financial advice?

Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Bottom line, the Congressional Review Act is a check on unaccountable overreaches of bureaucratic power.

Entirely too many departments are functioning as their own independent branches of government under the assumption they can do whatever they want. In this case, the CFPB "guideline" is dictating underwriting and credit guidelines based on race instead of proper actuarial risk assessment, and the "guideline" is nowhere near as helpful or innocent as the euphemistic title would suggest, but rather it is the full force of faceless bureaucracy law, expressing the will of exactly one person - Barack Obama - who is no longer even holding elected office in order to be held accountable. The theory of the CFPB is that when someone gets charged extra fees or interest, it must be racial discrimination, therefore it cannot be allowed. I have had bad credit and now have stellar credit, and a result, I have been offered really awful deals for car loans, and I have gotten really stellar ones...and at no point has my race changed. I used to be a serious actuarial risk, and now I am a lender's dream applicant. CFPB did a flawed study that was a conclusion seeking even the slimmest tangential proof that requires discarding tons of variables and focusing on exactly one, and from that point they issued an edict that carried the force of federal law.

The Legislative branch that answers to voters in elections has diminished the power of those NOT answerable to voters with this latest action, and that is a good thing. Laws should only be made by those the people can hold directly accountable wit their vote. Executive branch dictates, guidelines and other usurpations of proper legislative due process should be shunned.

Good for the Senate. Only thing I am sad about is the dopey CFPB still exists. But we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies