Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2001 View Post
I guess since we've made horrible decisions such as Vietnam and the Gulf War, we should go ahead and continue making such bad decisions. So, nobody should criticize our foreign wars since we've made those bad decisions in the past. I see where you stand I suppose.
No you don't. We are still bailing out those who made bad financial decisions. I see no one complaining about that (from either side).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
So, unless you discuss every bad decision or program of government, you can't criticize any of them? Is that how it's supposed to work?
You shouldn't be a hypocrite is how it should work.

Quote:
Please tell me you follow your own rule and criticize everything before criticizing anything.
The argument here has been that's its fine to help out the bankers that screwed up but not the poor individual with little financial expertise.

I've criticized that for years.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No you don't. We are still bailing out those who made bad financial decisions. I see no one complaining about that (from either side).
I complain about the $2 trillion Fannie and Freddie bailout all the time.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Since you're not also criticizing the money government wastes on fraud in the Medicaid system, you're also being a hypocrite.
I have. I have called for the heads of those in charge.

Quote:
I guess you're not a hypocrite if you are a fan of that waste.

Should I keep pointing out all the other things you're not pointing out in this thread which, I guess, proves you're a hypocrite... according to your rules.
If you desire but explain yours first.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If they are being discriminated against or taken advantage of, as was shown in the link I posted upthread, clearly they do.
It is not the purpose of government to protect people from bad decision making. This also applies to corporations.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
And people as clueless as Trump wonder why consumers want to deal directly with the online sellers?

Carvana, Ebay, there--will be many ways to buy a car without dealing with unscrupulous dealers and financial institutions. Car dealers will go the way of everything else that has moved online. I haven't been inside a bank in a couple of years--you can do everything online. I have friends who buy beautiful cars online without any of the hassles of going to a dealership. Same with homes. Same with boats and planes. Same with clothes.

So let's not hear complaints in the future about jobs being lost in any of the rip-off industries. The GOP swamp will always side with those that would screw consumers--Salesmen and bank personnel should really look for new future work--it is going the way of everything else. It works for me.

The GOP already lets banks screw consumers with cheating arbitration clauses, unfair interest bumps for a late payment, lucrative PACs, etc.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:57 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It's basically affirmative action when it comes to dealers and banks originating car loans. This phrase they used is very misleading... The CFPB had sought to eliminate dealer markups over concerns that black and Latino customers were often charged higher rates than whites with identical credit profiles, citing several analyses — including their own — of auto loan data.

What they left out is that those identical credit profiles are poor credit and not good to excellent credit. When a person has good to excellent credit you can shop around and pick the best deal for you. When a person has poor credit they are at the mercy of the lender. People with bad credit come from all walks of life with all sorts of backgrounds. Banks and insurers base rates and fees on a person's occupation and where they reside as well. Do they own, rent live at home etc... No one is making a person sign the deal. If they want and need a car badly enough they will suck it up and so the deal.

What Congress should be going after is the buy here, pay here dealers that are truly the scum of the earth. These cars are rarely ever paid for in full. They are often repossessed and are in sold in poor condition basically setting the consumer up to fall behind on payments and have the cars repossessed and to add insult to injury these dealers report to the big 3 agencies to keep a person from ever obtaining decent enough credit to shop at a more reputable dealership. These dealerships are basically recycling junk and they prey on anyone who is desperate enough to deal with them. These dealerships are so shady that if a person walks in off the street to buy a car with cash they turn them away. They make more money off the rubes and 99% of the time they get to repo the car and re-sell it over and over again.
I was in the car business for 12 yrs, and my husband has been in it for 29 yrs. I've been the finance director for yrs at several dealerships. an gm of 2. When we are getting loans bought, we have no way of knowing what race someone is. The application and paperwork are brought to our office on the back. We input them on a computer, filling in the blanks. We do the paperwork, including contracts with interest rate and payment, before customers ever come in the office to sign. We get paid based on sales. We arent going to raise rates based on race. We don't know the race at the time we do the contracts. If someone has bad credit, they get a higher rate...period.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I just went through this thread, and I don't see where you have called out fraud abuse in Medicaid. Can you point it out for me?
I just did. The reason for your hypocrisy is?

Old 04-19-2018, 11:10 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
This is pure unadulterated idiocy!

It's the government's job to protect its citizens from harm. That's why we have police and fire departments!

It's suppose to be the reason that citizens are also supposed to have equal access to healthcare, as well.

That said, "harm" can not only come from a street mugger, a car-jacker, an arsonist, or a rapist. Harm can also be visited upon consuming citizens via financial predation. Some criminals embezzle. Some criminals perpetrate fraud and forgery. That's why laws are written in order to defend American citizenry from such predators.

The CFPB was established to do just that! To utilize law by decree in order to enforce lawful protections for American consumers.

If for some reason the law proves to be ineffective or impotent, it can always be improved upon.

You don't just abolish it altogether!

This is beginning to remind me of Obamacare....

Repeal it and don't replace it with JACK!
The laws protecting consumers have not been abolished. An unelected, unaccountable bureaucracy was denied making/enforcing/altering their own laws outside the proper lawmaking process. That's all that happened.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Oh, I see, you want to go OT.

List the things I have to criticize in order not to be a hypocrite.
You know my argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies