Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Behind closed doors, wealthy liberal donors plot universal healthcare, free college, and reparations

There is a new dream in town. The party of transparence in the closet and their dream.

The Center for Popular Democracy, which has partnerships with more than 50 left-wing activist groups across the country, is also funded by the Democracy Alliance, whose members each vow to steer hundreds of thousands in funding to approved groups of the secretive donor network.

Revealed: Dream Democrat Agenda Includes Reparations

A wealthy Democratic donor club plotting the future of the liberal movement hopes to be fighting for reparations by 2022

What happen to the "making the wealthy pay" ? Oh yeah..........that was just a dream too.
We do need universal healthcare. We should have medicare for all. And college should be free with stipulations. You need to maintain a certain grade point average. And if you drop out you have to pay back the tuition and any other fees accumulated. Many aren't cut out for college but go anyway. There should be more trade schools which should also be paid for with stipulations. We need to be an educated country so that we can advance in every area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We do need universal healthcare. We should have medicare for all. And college should be free with stipulations. You need to maintain a certain grade point average. And if you drop out you have to pay back the tuition and any other fees accumulated. Many aren't cut out for college but go anyway. There should be more trade schools which should also be paid for with stipulations. We need to be an educated country so that we can advance in every area.
So are you comfortable with ripping away a free education when a student drops from a 2.9 to a 2.8 GPA? Universal Health Care is great, but what about people that put zero effort into maintaining their own health and eat garbage all day long with no exercise or attention to even remotely trying to be healthy? Do you cut them off or put limits on what free health care they get? This just seems like a feel good list of nice to have things that are in no way realistic or fair to others who have worked hard to obtain and maintain these BENEFITS (ie not RIGHTS) for themselves or families.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So are you comfortable with ripping away a free education when a student drops from a 2.9 to a 2.8 GPA? Universal Health Care is great, but what about people that put zero effort into maintaining their own health and eat garbage all day long with no exercise or attention to even remotely trying to be healthy? Do you cut them off or put limits on what free health care they get? This just seems like a feel good list of nice to have things that are in no way realistic or fair to others who have worked hard to obtain and maintain these BENEFITS (ie not RIGHTS) for themselves or families.
That's still the same letter grade. But if you're getting C's and D's then you shouldn't be in college. What about people who get cancer or have an accident that lands them in the hospital. If they don't have insurance we pay for them anyway. Hospitals don't give them free treatment. And the cost of many prescriptions are insane. And many health issues run in families no matter what they do to try and prevent it.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Behind closed doors, wealthy liberal donors plot universal healthcare, free college, and reparations

There is a new dream in town. The party of transparence in the closet and their dream.

The Center for Popular Democracy, which has partnerships with more than 50 left-wing activist groups across the country, is also funded by the Democracy Alliance, whose members each vow to steer hundreds of thousands in funding to approved groups of the secretive donor network.

Revealed: Dream Democrat Agenda Includes Reparations

A wealthy Democratic donor club plotting the future of the liberal movement hopes to be fighting for reparations by 2022

What happen to the "making the wealthy pay" ? Oh yeah..........that was just a dream too.
Wealthy republican donors also hold secret meetings where they decide how to spend the $800+ million dollars they put into each presidential election. And these wealthy republican donors desire the republican platform of low min wages, corporate tax cuts, and corporate deregulation.

https://www.thenation.com/article/ex...onaire-summit/
https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallp...16-889-million

What group of wealthy donors deserves more respect?

a.) A group of wealthy CEO donors who want low min wages, corporate tax cuts and corporate deregulation.

b.) A group of wealthy donors who want universal healthcare, free college and reparations to black Americans for their relatives being slaves.

One group sounds like greedy businessmen, and the other group sounds like caring, generous and honorable wealthy people.

Last edited by chad3; 04-19-2018 at 09:51 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
That's still the same letter grade. But if you're getting C's and D's then you shouldn't be in college. What about people who get cancer or have an accident that lands them in the hospital. If they don't have insurance we pay for them anyway. Hospitals don't give them free treatment. And the cost of many prescriptions are insane. And many health issues run in families no matter what they do to try and prevent it.
Same letter grade? See, this "solution" of yours already requires splitting hairs in a way that doesn't really solve the problem. How about a 2.9 vs a 3.0. Are you comfortable with sending the "Hey tough crap, your .01 fluctuation in GPA means you now don't get free school" letter? If so where do you draw the line? Is it a .1 fluctuation over one semester or over an average of a few semesters? None of this utopia is well thought out at all, nor is it realistic.

As for the medical issues. Its a simple solution. Our medical treatment isn't anywhere near being a free market solution. You can have cancer, aids, TB, or be totally free of any disease, have insurance or not have insurance, pay cash or rely on insurance, yet if you want a blood test its a roll of the dice to find out if its going to cost you $50 or $500...and thats assuming that someone can actually tell you what its going to cost, which they wont. Its no coincidence that one of the only markets in our economy that doesn't even to pretend to have pricing transparency has the most out of control price inflation known to man. Imagine going to buy a car and having the dealership tell you something to the effect of "Oh, you want a Toyota Camry? Well we cant tell you the price until after you buy it, but it could be anywhere from $5,000 to $60,000. Oh and if you want some other options it could add another $5,000. Why don't you just sign here and we will figure it out after you drive it off the lot?" Its the most ridiculous model ever, yet we want to give it away for free. That will only make the prices get more out of control and lessen the transparency thats already not there.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Reparations arent happening. LOL. Thats insane.

Universal healthcare, and the recognition that we need more advanced education? Oh yeah. Those will benefit all of us in the end.

Yep, how anyone could find a problem with doing those two things is beyond me. Richest country on the planet and sick people can't get healthy, and kids can not afford an education.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, how anyone could find a problem with doing those two things is beyond me. Richest country on the planet and sick people can't get healthy, and kids can not afford an education.
I don't think you understand "rich" and what it means when countered with the fact that we are also the most indebted country in the history of recorded civilization.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
[quote=ahzzie;51668466]
Quote:
Only in your mind. You right wingers simply cannot comprehend nor accept the fact that there are actually other people living, working, and contributing to this nation that have differing political views than you. We are just as much a part of the fabric of the country as you claim to be. I would say at this point even more so.
What an ignorant opinion unsupported by the politics that play out daily both in media and on this forum.
Even the most uninformed newbie who has been paying attention to politics for a few months realizes there are people holding different political views. When they disagree with opposing views like I did its about ideology and policy. They don't pretend to know what's in the mind of another person but the left seldom fails to make comments like that as if they have some special power of omnipotence.
The citizen is the fabric of any nation and the politicians of this nation used to know that. Now the ones that don't are going to relearn or there won't be a nation.

Quote:
We are not the freeloaders you think we are. There are more unemployed right wingers who suck on the government teat living in Appalachia and small towns all over the country than anyone else. They love to pull those "R" levers come election time. So, my suggestion to you is: before you start marginalizing people you know absolutely nothing about, you need to make sure your own house is clean first.
My comment had nothing to do with welfare and everything to do with taxes. The Dems have made it quite clear they are going to raise taxes to any level they feel necessary to pay for every fantasy they can think of.
Then they will bring back all the regulations and hoops for people to jump through as they rob them blind. 320 MILLION PEOPLE WORKING TO PAY THE STATE. No thanks.

I looked at your suggestion and I'm sure you can figure out my suggestion where you can put it and don't marginalize it. Its huge !!!

Old 04-19-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Same letter grade? See, this "solution" of yours already requires splitting hairs in a way that doesn't really solve the problem. How about a 2.9 vs a 3.0. Are you comfortable with sending the "Hey tough crap, your .01 fluctuation in GPA means you now don't get free school" letter? If so where do you draw the line? Is it a .1 fluctuation over one semester or over an average of a few semesters? None of this utopia is well thought out at all, nor is it realistic.

As for the medical issues. Its a simple solution. Our medical treatment isn't anywhere near being a free market solution. You can have cancer, aids, TB, or be totally free of any disease, have insurance or not have insurance, pay cash or rely on insurance, yet if you want a blood test its a roll of the dice to find out if its going to cost you $50 or $500...and thats assuming that someone can actually tell you what its going to cost, which they wont. Its no coincidence that one of the only markets in our economy that doesn't even to pretend to have pricing transparency has the most out of control price inflation known to man. Imagine going to buy a car and having the dealership tell you something to the effect of "Oh, you want a Toyota Camry? Well we cant tell you the price until after you buy it, but it could be anywhere from $5,000 to $60,000. Oh and if you want some other options it could add another $5,000. Why don't you just sign here and we will figure it out after you drive it off the lot?" Its the most ridiculous model ever, yet we want to give it away for free. That will only make the prices get more out of control and lessen the transparency thats already not there.
Why are you trying to argue with me about grades. I didn't say I was an authority. I was just saying free education needed stipulations. I just gave a suggestion. If we had medicare for all the cost for blood tests would be the same for everyone. But everyone who has insurance now knows what the cost it. It's your co-pay.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Why are you trying to argue with me about grades. I didn't say I was an authority. I was just saying free education needed stipulations. I just gave a suggestion. If we had medicare for all the cost for blood tests would be the same for everyone. But everyone who has insurance now knows what the cost it. It's your co-pay.
I'm arguing with you because it was a proposal that you put out there, and the point is its mostly unenforceable and unfair in most real situations.

And no, I'd argue that almost nobody knows what blood tests actually cost. Reimbursement rates and whatever agreements doctors come to with providers are in no way, shape, or form, the same price or any measurable difference from the price that the average person would pay if they wanted to walk in without insurance and pay cash for the same service. Medicare might pay $50 for something and spread the cost elsewhere, while if I wanted to walk in and pay cash for the same service at the same doctor, that doctor might try to charge me $1600 for no good reason instead of $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies