Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM

62,795 posts, read 29,004,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Exactly, Trump knows where the illegal immigrants are, and it is HIS JOB to find them, but he's just too STUPID to actually catch them.

And instead of saying, "Hey, guys, I suck at my job." He points the fingers at cities, who are not responsible for immigration, period. And people here eat it up.

Another false and lame argument. Illegal aliens are all over our country. Any talk of rounding them all up en masse the race/Nazi card is pulled by the pro-illegals. There is no better way of ridding our country of them than cooperation by our states and cities by notifying the feds when they have known illegal aliens in their custody. That's not doing the feds job it's cooperating with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 11:19 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,439,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Perhaps the feds shouldn’t cooperate with local police on crime either?

That seems like a great system of law enforcement to me.
In fact, for the most part, this is how it works. The Feds don't investigate murders...except in their jurisdiction...the Feds don't concern themselves with street crime. There is no law that states that they have to do squat outside of their jurisdiction...and they don't.

In fact, most local jurisdictions will tell you that cooperation with Federal authorities is very much a one-way street. The local authorities give..and the Fed takes.

Last edited by EvilEyeFleegle; 04-25-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Last I heard, we were the United States of America. Trump is trying to do his job and some cities/states are impeding his efforts. That's what this is about. It is not what you make it out to be. Are you an American or illegal? If your argument is that Trump should follow the law - then why shouldn't everyone?
Everyone should...you seem unable to grasp that there is no law..that mandates the States to enforce Federal law..or for them to house Federal prisoners in State jails. There is not a law on the books that says that the States have to notify the Feds when they release a prisoner...it's a courtesy--nothing more.

As far as Trump 'enforcing the law', he's not trying too hard, now is he?

A lot of hot air..and very little results.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:27 AM

20,726 posts, read 8,498,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's asking the states to deport anyone? They don't even have the authority to do so. All this administration is doing is asking states and cities to cooperate with the feds not aid abet illegal aliens by protecting them.
Just make a stinkin' phone call to ICE before releasing a criminal!

Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do you liberals continue with this stupid argument? All the feds are asking is for the cities and states to hold known illegal aliens (especially if they are criminals) in custody and call them to come and pick them up rather than releasing them back into our society.
***Talking slow***
It is not the States job. They get to choose whether they wish to extend this courtesy to the Federal authorities or not.

You are correct..this is what the Feds are asking--The States have every legal right to say no.

BTW..this is not a 'liberal' argument..but a simple statement of legal fact.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:37 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,110,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Just make a stinkin' phone call to ICE before releasing a criminal!
Which would accomplish what? Tell the city to hold them for you? Under what justification? A state can't just hold someone. For the feds to come get them? Where are they going to put them? They get a hearing and get out. They go back to their job. Maybe they show up to the hearing at some far away point. So they get deported. Then what? They simply come back and go back to their job.

I asked this before and it wasn't addressed. What is the point?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:02 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,574,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
***Talking slow***
It is not the States job. They get to choose whether they wish to extend this courtesy to the Federal authorities or not.

You are correct..this is what the Feds are asking--The States have every legal right to say no.

BTW..this is not a 'liberal' argument..but a simple statement of legal fact.
Actually, the preservation of State's rights its really a conservative position. But low-information thinkers are more focused on outcome-based political views, so whatever...

Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which would accomplish what? Tell the city to hold them for you? Under what justification? A state can't just hold someone. For the feds to come get them? Where are they going to put them? They get a hearing and get out. They go back to their job. Maybe they show up to the hearing at some far away point. So they get deported. Then what? They simply come back and go back to their job.

I asked this before and it wasn't addressed. What is the point?
The Massachusetts Supreme Court has already ruled that holding prisoners as a courtesy to ICE even 1 day beyond their detention time is unconstitutional under State law.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:11 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,110,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The Massachusetts Supreme Court has already ruled that holding prisoners as a courtesy to ICE even 1 day beyond their detention time is unconstitutional under State law.
I don't disagree, I'm trying to figure out the point.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't disagree, I'm trying to figure out the point.
I was agreeing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies