Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, baloney!

I never had to "beg" my boss for a raise! If one does the job he is hired to do, and does it well, he doesn't need to beg for a raise.

If you head for the door 15 minutes before quitting time, waiting for the clock to strike 5:00 PM (or whenever your quitting time is), you don't deserve a raise, and it has been my experience that this is what too many hourly employees do. Yes, I've worked in manufacturing, first as a technician on the bench, then in field service, to Lease Administrator, and then to Sales Administration Supervisor. How was I able to advance? Because I did my job, and I went the extra mile. I put in the time, and when necessary, I willingly stayed over to complete a job and get a product shipped. I made an effort to learn how the business operated, too. I learned about production planning, material control, shipping and receiving, and even spent some time doing QC (quality control, for those of you who don't know what that is). I learned about invoicing and export administration (Letters of Credit, or LC, which are payment instruments, of which there are several types).

That's how one earns raises and advancement. You don't need a union to do your bidding to force your employer to give you a raise without earning it. That is a raise you don't deserve!
While I appreciate you have some points...your experience is unique to your field, your employer, etc.

There are hard working people who aren't getting raises....they just aren't. And it isn't their work ethic or their lack of productivity.

As corporations have enjoyed great profits in the last few years (not just since the tax cuts) you would think that we would have seen better wage increases. We've all heard the statistics of how much CEO's have had huge compensation increases but the employees haven't enjoyed the same wage increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 03:19 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They realize that voting changes nothing. Absolutely nothing.

If Hillary Clinton had won:

1. How many refugees a year would the United States be accepting?
2. What kind of focus would there be on border security or illegals?
3. Would we know some of the things we have found out about the heads of our federal agencies?
4. What would the SC look like?
5. What would the 2A look like?
6. What would financial support for the military look like?
7. What would support for law enforcement look like?
8. What would support for Social Justice groups look like?

I could go on but you must get my point by now. Clinton lost. Trump won. Voting changes everything. Absolutely everything.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:52 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Voting is a sham, hopefully it means people are catching on.
Quote:
Voting doesn't matter.

Refreshing to see that some people are finally waking up to this fact.
Quote:
Actually the people I know who don't vote are educated. They realize that voting changes nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's why the schools start brainwashing kindergartners into voting. To get them used to it and accept it before they have the critical thinking skills to realize it's a sham.
It's always nice to see people who can think for themselves.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Sad. VOTING MATTERS. Too much media, especially conservative media, have bashed and belittled the voting franchise. False propaganda of voting fraud have discouraged many voters. Too many voters feel there vote doesn't matter when it does.

Those who say your vote does not matter have surrendered hope in this country. I would never concede such a dire thought. If your vote does not matter why so much effort to gerrymander or the now, billions, being spent on elections?

I do no want to live in a country, like Russia or China, where democracy is dead or has never existed.

I would never concede that the hundreds of thousands who died for the country died in vain.

I would no dishonor them by selling my vote for a raise or a million dollars.
Voting doesn't matter. It just doesn't.

The U.S. has been at war 80% of its existence. It currently runs a worldwide hegemonic military empire with 700 military installations in 90 countries funded by money forcefully taken by taxpayer income.

The TSA sexually assaults us, the NSA spies on us, Homeland Security is the US secret police, the actual police are gunning people down in the streets, bankers manipulate the money supply and interest rates...

No matter who "wins," liberty loses.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I'm curious as to where you buy your tinfoil and whether you've undergone heavy metal detox for your aluminum toxicity...
So refusing to participate in the loss of my, or your, freedom means we're tinfoil-hat people?

GMAFB.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
If Hillary Clinton had won:

1. How many refugees a year would the United States be accepting?
2. What kind of focus would there be on border security or illegals?
3. Would we know some of the things we have found out about the heads of our federal agencies?
4. What would the SC look like?
5. What would the 2A look like?
6. What would financial support for the military look like?
7. What would support for law enforcement look like?
8. What would support for Social Justice groups look like?

I could go on but you must get my point by now. Clinton lost. Trump won. Voting changes everything. Absolutely everything.
The $1.3 trillion omnibus still would've passed.
Syria still would've been bombed.
We'd still be in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Niger, and all the other countries in which we have no right to be.
Cops would still be murdering people.
The debt would still be over $22 trillion.
Bankers and defense contractors would still run the country.

Voting changes nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
This is like the premise of the book Kingmaker by Christian Cantrell. In it,
Quote:
As a principal proponent of the 31st Amendment to the United States constitution, which legalized the transfer of suffrage from citizens to corporations, Pearl Knight has power that is truly above the law.
If corporations are people, why can't they vote? They are people, right? And the best part is that they never die.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:07 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This isn't surprising. Only 58% of eligible American voters took the time to vote in 2016.
Let's see what happens in November 2018. Change is the air.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Let's see what happens in November 2018. Change is the air.
"Change."

Let me know the next time a Democrat or Republican can go 24 hours without bombing someone.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:54 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
The $1.3 trillion omnibus still would've passed.
Syria still would've been bombed.
We'd still be in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Niger, and all the other countries in which we have no right to be.
Cops would still be murdering people.
The debt would still be over $22 trillion.
Bankers and defense contractors would still run the country.

Voting changes nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Are you saying that Clinton would also have passed as 1.3T omnibus bill?

Do you know for certain that if McCain or Clinton or Romney had beaten Obama we would still be 22T in debt?

Aside from the cops-murdering-people throwaway line (wife of medically retired cop who was ambushed in the line of duty), you're probably correct about the rest.

But you and I both know that you're being deliberately obtuse............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies