Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:12 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Are you saying that Clinton would also have passed as 1.3T omnibus bill?

Do you know for certain that if McCain or Clinton or Romney had beaten Obama we would still be 22T in debt?

Aside from the cops-murdering-people throwaway line (wife of medically retired cop who was ambushed in the line of duty), you're probably correct about the rest.

But you and I both know that you're being deliberately obtuse............
Congress passed the bill--Trump just signed it. Since it funded the wars, Planned Parenthood, had gun control in it...I can say with confidence she would have signed it.

I can say with certainty that the debt would be $22 trillion, if not more. Republicans are even worse than Democrats when it comes to spending.

Nothing obtuse about it--Team Blue and Team Red are 99.25% the same on the issues that matter--spending, debt, war, and civil liberties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
This country has a history of paying low or slave wages and they would gladly put kids in the workforce working 12 hours a day for minimum wage if they could.
You get this B.S. from Union bosses who tell you this. It gives them power ...over you! They enrich themselves by convincing you that you need them.

Everyone has a direct supervisor that they report to. Everyone. It's not likely that your supervisor doesn't know your name. But I will tell you this: Every supervisor and his boss knows who the slackers are. They know who's lined up at the door 15 minutes before quitting time, bolting out the door nearly trampling one another the minute the clock strikes 5:00 PM (or 4:30 as it was where I worked). Those are the people who will do only the minimum amount of work required and no more. Wonder why they never get a raise or are advanced to a salaried position? Because they don't have the drive or the dedication. They have no company loyalty. They are "union workers" first. That is their loyalty. They see their employer as you do. Their employer is their "cracker." The union tells them that. Believe me, I have worked around union workers. They won't lift a finger to do any more than what is required. And, "it takes three to change a light bulb." They will stand around and "chit chat" when they've completed a task, while waiting for other instructions. They are the "not my job," C.Y.A. experts.

Every position has an associated pay scale, beginning with the entry level wage. Even salaried positions have a scale. When you are at the top of that scale, that's where you will remain, unless you have shown you are "promotable." If so, when a higher position opens up (supervisor), you may be a candidate for that position. Or you may qualify for another position (I went from "bench tech" to field service tech., and eventually into the Sales/Marketing dept.).

Once a "union worker," you will probably always be a union worker, and nothing else. The Union holds you back. The only way you are likely to break out of those chains is probably to start your own business.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am much more concerned about the number of Citizens who do not bother to register to vote, and the number who ARE registered to vote, but can't be bothered to do so!

I'm more concerned with the people who are able to vote themselves pay raises. The scum of society and the politicians.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:37 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Oh and min.wage laws took away many entry level jobs in the workplace. Wage laws destroy opportunity.
Precisely! And I have seen that with my own eyes.

Remember when kids used to find jobs in gas stations for the summer? Minimum wage laws took those opportunities away. There were other summer job opportunities also that were lost do to minimum wage laws. So, kids lost those opportunities to learn business skills ...basic skills that prepare them for the working world. Today, even kids coming out of college have never held a job previously. They are unprepared for employment. They don't know how the real world works. We had such a person once where I worked. He had several degrees. He thought he knew everything. He tried to tell everyone what they were doing wrong. Everyone thought he was a "pain in the ass." He was quickly fired! Ha! His "book knowledge" wasn't the way the real world works.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:46 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Precisely! And I have seen that with my own eyes.

Remember when kids used to find jobs in gas stations for the summer? Minimum wage laws took those opportunities away. There were other summer job opportunities also that were lost do to minimum wage laws. So, kids lost those opportunities to learn business skills ...basic skills that prepare them for the working world. Today, even kids coming out of college have never held a job previously.
True, and that is really bad for their employment prospects. Very few will hire anyone who has zero work experience. Best, of course, is to major in a valued field (excludes most liberal arts degrees, which are a dime a dozen) and work paid summer internships. Less beneficial is to work unpaid internships for at least the work experience. But understand VERY CLEARLY that if your internship employer doesn't consider you valuable enough to pay as an intern, subsequent employers NOTE that particular detail.

Quote:
They are unprepared for employment. They don't know how the real world works. We had such a person once where I worked. He had several degrees. He thought he knew everything. He tried to tell everyone what they were doing wrong. Everyone thought he was a "pain in the ass." He was quickly fired! Ha! His "book knowledge" wasn't the way the real world works.
Yes, and that's a BIG problem. It's the quintessential conundrum... No one will hire you because you've never worked before, so you can't gain work experience upon which to build yourrésumé.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:18 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
"Frogs in the pot".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

It's coming, but not in my lifetime. Thank God.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
I'd give up 10% of my paycheck for more time off

Old 04-22-2018, 08:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
So what?

45% didn't even bother to vote in 2016.

"Voter turnout this year dipped to nearly its lowest point in two decades. While election officials are still tabulating ballots, the 126 million votes already counted means about 55% of voting age citizens cast ballots this year.
That measure of turnout is the lowest in a presidential election since 1996, when 53.5% of voting-age citizens turned out"

https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/polit...016/index.html

Old 04-22-2018, 10:19 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
While I appreciate you have some points...your experience is unique to your field, your employer, etc.

There are hard working people who aren't getting raises....they just aren't. And it isn't their work ethic or their lack of productivity.

As corporations have enjoyed great profits in the last few years (not just since the tax cuts) you would think that we would have seen better wage increases. We've all heard the statistics of how much CEO's have had huge compensation increases but the employees haven't enjoyed the same wage increases.
Some employers don't even give raises out at all. It just depends on the job.
Although in this case maybe a union wouldn't change that but it's probably worth a try.

Collectively I'm sure votes do matter but as an individual person who no one really listens to anyway yes I would give up my right to vote for a raise. The only way my vote might matter was if I campaigned heavily but I'd have to be persuasive in my stance which is impossible for an introvert like myself. Introverts can be persuasive (Obama is one) but I'm not one of them because I'm way too transparent.

Even voting in award shows don't make a difference half the time so voting in politics is no different.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:21 AM

639 posts, read 376,326 times
I call BS on the majority of these polls.

What makes you think they are reliable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies