Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you disowned somebody because of how they voted?
Yes 21 15.22%
No 117 84.78%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times

Advertisements

If yes explain why? When I mean disowned I mean block from social media, refuse to talk to the person any more and/or avoid them altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 08:50 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
No, not at all.

I think only drama queens and drama kings do this kind of thing.

One "friend" removed me from her friends' list, but she is not really a close friend of mine. She is always a drama queen. For example, she always said she was pregnant and she has been pregnant for four years and her imaginary baby never came out.

She is a Trump hater and I voted for Trump. She said I have no soul.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Not at all.

I don't think I've ever disowned anyone.

Who does that but drama mammas....

Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
If yes explain why? When I mean disowned I mean block from social media, refuse to talk to the person any more and/or avoid them altogether.
Block from social media? I suppose; but its not common.

One of my dad's acquaintances, who is a moron, added me on facebook and proceeded to be his normal self.

He was a big pro-Trump guy and posted a lot of really idiotic memes that were intended to appeal to the low-information individual, designed to agitate, and frankly sort of insulting in a variety of ways.

So yes I unfriended him or blocked him, I forget which. But there are, for example, a number of different "old guys" who are acquaintances, friends, and also conservatives that I am friends w on FB despite disagreeing with their politics. If they post something that's genuinely funny-stupid, but conservative, I will laugh. But if the stuff they post starts looking bigoted, hateful, or angry I will block.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Trump supporters and Clinton supporters misunderstand one another because neither respect each other enough to acknowledge these two basic truths; that everyone has views which they came to under reasonable means, and that absolutely everyone believes they are acting for the betterment of others.

Simply, everyone has good reason to think they are the good guys.

Or, everybody has good reason to think the other guy is the lesser of two evils.

It is as simple as this. So why bother demonizing the other group. Also, when I see comment like, "trump voters are dumb, stupid." I found myself thinking, "hmm, only dumb people think others are dumb." Calling people stupid is to end a conversation, nothing more.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Trump supporters and Clinton supporters misunderstand one another because neither respect each other enough to acknowledge these two basic truths; that everyone has views which they came to under reasonable means, and that absolutely everyone believes they are acting for the betterment of others.
this isn't exactly true

not everyone's views were come to under reasonable means

not everyone is acting for the betterment of others.

i'm not going to name any names..

Old 04-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
this isn't exactly true

not everyone's views were come to under reasonable means

not everyone is acting for the betterment of others.

i'm not going to name any names..
Never said anything about "everyone".

Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Never said anything about "everyone".

Quote:

Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I have 'unfollowed' some Trump fans FB, but not because of how they voted, but because they spam fringe political / conspiracy nonsense no one wants to see.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Block from social media? I suppose; but its not common.

One of my dad's acquaintances, who is a moron, added me on facebook and proceeded to be his normal self.

He was a big pro-Trump guy and posted a lot of really idiotic memes that were intended to appeal to the low-information individual, designed to agitate, and frankly sort of insulting in a variety of ways.

So yes I unfriended him or blocked him, I forget which. But there are, for example, a number of different "old guys" who are acquaintances, friends, and also conservatives that I am friends w on FB despite disagreeing with their politics. If they post something that's genuinely funny-stupid, but conservative, I will laugh. But if the stuff they post starts looking bigoted, hateful, or angry I will block.
Do you block liberals who post this also? Or just conservatives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies