Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

Who is profiting from the opioid crisis, which claims 150 lives people in America each day?

Drug companies, distributors and doctors value profits over lives, and politicians value money from the drug lobby over the lives of their constituents...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdGEIiUEhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fDiEEv6DRs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 01:19 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Although I pretty much agree with your premise, much of the responsibility has to lie at the feet of those who put the pills in their mouths. Here in L.A. I can buy pot legally and I'm sure I could score some opioids or heroin within an hour or so. It's up to me whether I would indulge or not. I choose not to and everyone has that same choice.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Although I pretty much agree with your premise, much of the responsibility has to lie at the feet of those who put the pills in their mouths. Here in L.A. I can buy pot legally and I'm sure I could score some opioids or heroin within an hour or so. It's up to me whether I would indulge or not. I choose not to and everyone has that same choice.
while your post has merit, it is off topic a little. the problem isnt illegal opiods and other drugs, but rather LEGAL opiods and other drugs.

in a manner of speaking though i agree that the people are the cause of the problem. those that suffer from chronic pain keep pushing their doctors for better more effective pain meds, who then push their drug reps for better pain meds, who push the manufacturers for better pain meds, who then tell the government they have the better pain meds, but they are not approved, so they "donate" to the congressional campaigns, the congress then approves the pain meds, the manufacturers then promote the heck out of those meds, the doctors prescribe all they can, the patients then get hooked on them, and then the illegal markets come into play.

about 6 and half years ago i had a fistula installed in my wrist. simple operation, but the surgeon prescribed vicoden, or some other opiod pain killer, i forget which one as i never even filled the prescription. heck i dont even take anything stronger than aspirin for any pain that i have, EVER.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
A lot of people blame the drug companies, but if you think about it, overdose and drug related deaths were MUCH MUCH lower back when doctors were still free to write scripts for these drugs left and right, only when the tough prescription drug laws were enacted in 2012, did these statistics begin to rise and have done so each and every year since then.

Its much safer for an opioid addict to use/abuse pills, obtained thru a legitimate source, that were at least made in controlled lab, versus using street heroin, which could have anything and everything added to it, in order to increase the weight!

IN this regard, the prescription drug laws have backfired horribly. I truly think this was an attempt to create criminals where there were none before, Govt basically outlawed the competition for the drug cartels, and in the process, transferred all those profits from the pharma companies, to the cartels.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The gist of the argument is that their doctors proscribed them in an over abundance. When a doctor hands you a prescription most people will fill it and take them. Some are hard wired for addiction and some not.

Last year I had shingles. I was gave a prescription for opioids for pain. It really wasn't bad enough to make me take something for it. Doctor should have said "take a couple aspirins and it will go away shortly".

Old 04-21-2018, 06:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The gist of the argument is that their doctors proscribed them in an over abundance. When a doctor hands you a prescription most people will fill it and take them. Some are hard wired for addiction and some not.

Last year I had shingles. I was gave a prescription for opioids for pain. It really wasn't bad enough to make me take something for it. Doctor should have said "take a couple aspirins and it will go away shortly".
OK, so if doctors are not responsible enough or trained well enough to determine what type of prescriptions to give out, why in the world should they be trusted with other serious treatment decisions?!!

Govt saw to need to restrict them from giving out certain medicine, but this same doctor is then permitted to send people for surgeries, and other much more serious treatment, yeah thats real smart! LOL

Old 04-21-2018, 06:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
OK, so if doctors are not responsible enough or trained well enough to determine what type of prescriptions to give out, why in the world should they be trusted with other serious treatment decisions?!!
They are trained enough. They were driven by greed and not wanting to hear the whining from their patients.

Quote:
Govt saw to need to restrict them from giving out certain medicine, but this same doctor is then permitted to send people for surgeries, and other much more serious treatment, yeah thats real smart! LOL
How so? Seems the surgery went well. It was post surgery that the problems happened.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I suppose anything can be blamed on government, if you take the view that government is responsible for everything.

The government did fail to properly regulate the distribution and marketing of opioids, but the bad actors here were all private entities.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I would definitely say the pharmaceutical industry fueled the crisis.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
The typical heroin addict is a white males in his early 20’s who has a history of polysubstance abuse, including recreational use of opioids.

A majority of overdose deaths are attributed to heroin and heroin cut with Fentanyl and/ or Tramadol.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-21-2018 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies