Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 03:55 AM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Actually, most degrees are worthless.
Lol...that’s not even close to being true.

Every degree is worth plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:10 AM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Yeah us poor MBA graduates going on to work at Fortune 500 companies with fresh hires making six figure salaries with massive bonuses. I make more $ than any employed trade worker.

And lets not even go into the army of MD, CPAs, PEs, JDs, etc that all earn more than tradesmen. However, if you are sub 120 IQ I wouldn't recommend going for a professional track, it's not going to work. If you have 90 IQ and low aptitude being a tradesman and unclogging toilets all day is definitely the way to go.

Devil is always in the details...

Lots of mechanics, electricians and plumbers knock down six figures, and they do so in parts of the country where six figures isn't just above the poverty line.

Also, mechanics and those in the building trades often earn cash for work done on the side.

I don't know of any Fortune 500 companies that help out with the take-home plateau we all run into when we gross more than $1300/wk.

Plus, if you have to live in CA or NY to work for a Fortune 500 company, living expenses will be such that you won't be any better off.

Have fun training your replacement from India.

https://www.mbacrystalball.com/blog/...-compensation/

Old 04-22-2018, 05:15 AM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Actually I do know how to plunge a toilet and swing a hammer, it's not rocket science. But nice try.

Can you fix your vehicle?

Here's the code: P0B93

Old 04-22-2018, 05:55 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,023,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The guy fixing those toilets is probably better paid then the people with toilets needing fixing.
at my work the janitors are the most important people. nobody can function in a hospital room full of garbage and unsanitary conditions.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:59 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,023,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...that’s not even close to being true.

Every degree is worth plenty.

they actually are not. folks wouldn't be crying about the cost of school and begging for low skill jobs to pay more if useless knowledge and no work ethic paid decently.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:06 AM

33,843 posts, read 16,875,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No such thing as s worthless degree.
Great: Then we must maintain Student Loan Debt as Non-Dischargeable, and demand Payment In Full back under the original terms from every single borrower.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:11 AM

58,684 posts, read 27,030,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
It won't help... There will always be a segment of society that looks down their nose at the guy they call to fix their toilets. At the same time lamenting their MBA in basket weaving won't help them get a job ....
"There will always be a segment of society"

So, we should NOT do it because "a segment" might not like it?

Have we EVERY Not had "a segment (fill in the blank)?

Such a defeatist attitude.

You would NEVER had made it as a pioneer who helped build thus great country.

I'm glad you were not involved in wining WWI or WWII or the going to the moon.

We would have NEVER won either of those wars NOR gone to the moon.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:15 AM

58,684 posts, read 27,030,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Working in the trades sounds good in theory, but the injury rate is high and the work is physically demanding, so it's not a career path that can be sustained until age 70 or so.
"sustained until age 70 or so"

And how many work until 70 or so?

What a weak argument.

Many people in the trades "move up the ladder" just as in MOST jobs.

Obviously you have NO experience "in the trades"!

Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,924,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
so what if you spill your starbucks onto your laptop while its plugged into the charger and you get electrocuted?
What if? Statistically manual labor type jobs are far more dangerous over time. I think you guys are doing a disservice to people by glossing over that fact. I don't have a problem with the trades but they aren't some perfect job every guy should do either...

Old 04-22-2018, 06:21 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,849,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If you are physically fit and can pass a background check and drug test my company would make you an apprentice and within 3 years you’ll be making 6 figures. But you work OT and shift work and you work in the elements. Americans need to step up because the legal Mexicans we hire are making us look really bad.
55 and just retired. Were it not for that I would ask where to apply. I like change and retired because 28 years in that factory was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies