Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 08:53 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,919,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, that poster doesn't get it. 10hrs or more a day sitting in a cubicle healthy.....SMH
Go take a look at the guys in a roofing crew, they are all ripped !
Yea and when they are 50 there bodies are totally wrecked. Again with the dishonesty about the risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,412,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Defeatist???How in the heck did you get that from my post? Pragmatic maybe...DO you really think that holding hands and singing kumbyya will make anyone respect one another better? Never going to happen. As long as there are terms like "flyover states" "rust belt" "rednecks and hillbillys" there will be a divide between the classes...You see it time and time again here on CD. Discussions descend into 2 sides calling each other names....
And ya'll are JUST as guilty. White collar 'elites". "New York values" as Ted Cruz likes to say. "Urban scum"; worthless degrees and it just goes on an on and on.

Tradespeople are just as respected as anyone else. I've never treated an electrician, plumber, whatever, with disrespect.

Do you imagine that every cube worker gets respect from the population at large?

Enough with the inferiority complex sir.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,861,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yea and when they are 50 there bodies are totally wrecked. Again with the dishonesty about the risks.
Surrounded by construction right now -- on either side of my house -- none of the crews are ripped -- absolutely, positively zero

Have lived in only 'new neighborhoods' for the last 20 years and have seen lots of roofing crews -- nope not buff baby.

appreciate your good fortune.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,686,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And ya'll are JUST as guilty. White collar 'elites". "New York values" as Ted Cruz likes to say. "Urban scum"; worthless degrees and it just goes on an on and on.

Tradespeople are just as respected as anyone else. I've never treated an electrician, plumber, whatever, with disrespect.

Do you imagine that every cube worker gets respect from the population at large?

Enough with the inferiority complex sir.

Actually I think it's more of an arrogant sob complex but whatever

Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,835,709 times
My late FIL was in the Army, and was then a truck and bus mechanic for many years before working his way up the white collar ladder, predominantly because his body was absolutely broken from injuries sustained between the military and years of blue collar labor.

He really, really didn't want his son (my DH) to follow in his footsteps and turn wrenches for a living. After getting out of the Marine Corps, my husband did a Bachelor of Science degree to appease his father but also did an Associates in Automotive Technology. Right now, he's an auto mechanic, but truthfully he didn't really look for any other kind of job.

While the Union benefits are good, and it pays well enough that I can be a SAHM, it is definitely hard on him physically. He's only 30 yet he feels like he's 75 some days! He's already had knee surgery, has foot troubles, and a wedged disc in his back... It is still up in the air as to whether he will pursue anything else. We will see.

Either way, he's determined that our boys won't be turning wrenches when they grow up.

He didn't really listen to his own Dad about how hard it was. Now he wishes he had.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 AM

58,599 posts, read 26,915,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I have alot of respect for trades people but I feel many posters are being dishonest in this thread about the risks and salary you can make not to mention putting down college graduates who are equally important.
" I feel many posters are being dishonest in this thread'

I think most of those talking down about the trades have NEVER been paid to pick a hammer, screwdriver, etc.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The conspiracy theorist in me believes the entire "college ready" movement was a scheme to depress industry wages. It can't be too far off from reality. I routinely see job postings requiring a bachelor's degree that pay $12/hr with no benefits. Is it really worth 4 years of your life, and potential heavy debt burden to make a wage that you can't even live on in most areas of the country.
"The conspiracy theorist" never seem to prove their claims.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You would think that maybe all those cuts to school budgets are coming back to haunt us.

When I went to HS you were able to take shop classes and learn about trades you may have an interest in.

When my kids were in HS those classes as well as the liberal arts were being eliminated.

Well we now see that the lack of investment in our schools is coming back to bite us in the arse.
"all those cuts to school budgets"

Some info please.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:30 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,113,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Yep. There's certainly nobody coming from south of the boarder to come get the "muscle based" jobs.

Yeah like an automotive assembly plant worker at GM. That would be some good advice.
Yea, all those people "coming from south of the border," stopping at the local Secretary Of State offices to apply for business licenses, plumbers, and electricians certificates. Yea, those people are arriving by the millions - or is that by the ones?

Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 AM

23,770 posts, read 14,896,015 times
My daughter's each have 2 master's degrees.

Son decided he didn't need college because he had his dream job at 19. He makes 3 times what his sisters make. But he has to carry around at least 50 pounds of equipment in all kinds of conditions.

It has been my experience that people do not want their kids doing any kind of labor. It is snobbish, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies