Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 02:44 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My husband's friend has never complained about them. He's actually been there since the 1990s, after Desert Storm. He was a Desert Storm vet and was hired after coming back home from the Middle East so he's been working in that field a long time.

His son also has been working for the same company over 10 years and he's gotten a few of the kids of their mutual friend's jobs. One of my son's baseball coaches works for the railroads as well, not the one our family friend does though. And the only complaint he really has is that he is not home enough. He loves the money and like jeff said, he looks forward to retirement. He's been with them almost 25 years.

I do know they are strict about some things - like alcohol consumption due to it being a danger and that people can get fired over that.
with 30 years service at the age of 60 you can retire with full benefits.Also if you die.......your spouse can collect your full retirement also..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
High schools still continue to push for college because they are usually run by people with an elite view of the world. Both Democratic and Republican areas are guilty of this.

It'd be great for high school students to go to trades school or engage in a form of internship or apprentice instead of high school for the later part of the day.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:03 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
As long as that job ad says:

Requirements:
Bachelors degree in relevant field

Nothing else matters. The employers of this country dictate what Americans need to have a job. And clearly a lot of them don’t care about folks with trade skills and no degree.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:09 AM

126 posts, read 96,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As long as that job ad says:

Requirements:
Bachelors degree in relevant field

Nothing else matters. The employers of this country dictate what Americans need to have a job. And clearly a lot of them don’t care about folks with trade skills and no degree.
What's keeping someone from setting up shop for himself? As far as the trades go, there are still plenty of tradesmen who need helpers. I had a plumber come out to my house last year and his helper was a young guy who did all of the work.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post
What's keeping someone from setting up shop for himself? As far as the trades go, there are still plenty of tradesmen who need helpers. I had a plumber come out to my house last year and his helper was a young guy who did all of the work.
Per the bolded, the same thing that stops most people from becoming entrepreneurs or proprietors....RISK. Starting a business is incredibly risky, and odds are it will fail more than it will succeed. If you lose a job, you can just try to get another one. But if you lose a business, you can be financially ruined for life; and that is a risk that 999,999 out of 1,000,000 (myself included) aren't willing to take

Old 04-26-2018, 06:38 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Most people are poor starting a business takes money you do the math...

Old 04-26-2018, 06:44 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
Nutty right wing calls for more American tradespeople but then hate the unions that benifit such people.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:23 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Nutty right wing calls for more American tradespeople but then hate the unions that benifit such people.
The sad thing is that the Democrats are not exactly helping unions like they have in the past.............

Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
The sad thing is that the Democrats are not exactly helping unions like they have in the past.............
Yea thats because the democrats are just lite republicans. Democrats are a center right political party.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:55 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Per the bolded, the same thing that stops most people from becoming entrepreneurs or proprietors....RISK. Starting a business is incredibly risky, and odds are it will fail more than it will succeed. If you lose a job, you can just try to get another one. But if you lose a business, you can be financially ruined for life; and that is a risk that 999,999 out of 1,000,000 (myself included) aren't willing to take
Most people have to work, they need money constantly coming in. It's a rare business that starts out bringing in a profit. One needs the start up capital plus enough money or a partner earning enough money to keep them afloat while they try to build the business. Most of the people I know who started a business had family help or a partner with an excellent job.

There used to be so many areas where one could start a business. Every town had a hardware, drug, clothing and other stores. Now, massive corporations and big box stores make it impossible to compete. The choices are franchises where you give the corporations part of your profit or niche businesses that are often very risky or require a certain skill or creativity. It's not as simple as just deciding to start your own business. You can be the hardest worker in the world but if Walmart or Home Depot have things cheaper, you fail. We also have a country full of monopolies. This keeps capitalism from working as it should to benefit everyone.

There are a lot fewer opportunities in the trades than many think. I know a young man who desperately wants to break into one of the living wage trades but it is very difficult to get an apprenticeship. He is intelligent, personable and very willing to work hard and earn his place but there are no openings for him. Most tradespeople end up hiring their family or their friend's children. it's just like any other field, who you know goes farther than anything.

I hate that my post reads so pessimistic, I hate it for the sake of young people and those trying to make it in the world but it is reality. The vast majority of people will end up working for a corporation. People only care about those they know and see regularly. The CEO will make sure the rest of the C suite, presidents and such have a great salary and are taken care of but they are far removed from the average employee and will view them as an expense to be controlled. When the country was composed of smaller businesses, bosses knew their employees and generally cared about their welfare. When you see someone and know about their life is much more difficult to treat them as an expense to be cut.

Last edited by detshen; 04-26-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies