Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

https://www.govdocs.com/los-angeles-...m-wage-poster/

I have a feeling that it will be repealed with their is a recession which is likely to happen if President Trump is not elected again.

No, way that employers can afford $15 minimum wage, plus FICA taxes, plus workers comp and unemployment, plus sick leave, plus health insurance.

What a tragedy this is for disabled Californians and senior-citizens who want to supplement their Social Security checks.

Can only imagine the pink slips that disabled and older Californians will get because employers will require twice the productivity.

Disabled people who just want to be around people and perhaps bag groceries for social interaction will not be able to work in California like other states due to the crazy minimum wages in California.

I never see people with disabilities working entry-level jobs so they can have a dignified existence in California like I do in other states. This because they have to pay twice the rate of other states.

I can't imagine the prices at restaurants in Los Angeles after this is implemented. Food will cost a fortune, restaurants will be very dirty also, lots of multi-tasking and cross contamination.

Restaurants will either have to have tremendous price hikes, half the employees which means lots of cross contamination and filthy restaurants with overfilled trash cans, sticky and dirty tables, filthy bathrooms and dirty dishes.

Lots of commission sales positions in places like call-centers will also be leaving. In, Texas call-centers can pay $7.25 as a base and then have incentives for higher productivity.

Lots of beginner call-centers that employ those just starting out or people who don't have college degrees, but are good at repetitive tasks and being nice but might have a disability will also doors shut in their face thanks to this minimum wage increase.

In California, call-centers will not be able to operate from $15 minimum wages unless they are very highly skilled ones that require licenses or lots of training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Commercial real estate just outside the border would be a good investment. How many jobs killed depends upon the going wage rate for Low skilled jobs currently.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:11 PM

1,705 posts, read 538,736 times
And yet.. again and again and again, it shows when minimum income goes up, people have more disposable income, business booms and more jobs are created.

Some might go under, but generally everybody is better off.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 PM

10,483 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
And yet.. again and again and again, it shows when minimum income goes up, people have more disposable income, business booms and more jobs are created.

But then everything else will go up, this little pesky problem called inflation, and then everyone is right back to where they started.

And now, companies are looking to robots more and more everyday. Stores are now installing self checkouts, and I live here in Florida, and unless it's Publix, all the other big box retail stores now will have only 2 checkout lanes opened while the rest are expected to go to the self checkouts. I just went to the doctors, and the doctor had only one nurse, and she was also running the front desk because he had this new machine that all he had to do was hook me up to it, and it took all of my vitals in one shot. He has 10 of them now, and he said one costs him about what a nurse would cost him annually, but the machine is guaranteed for 10 years, so it was a much better investment.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:30 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,123,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
And now, companies are looking to robots more and more everyday. Stores are now installing self checkouts, and I live here in Florida, and unless it's Publix, all the other big box retail stores now will have only 2 checkout lanes opened while the rest are expected to go to the self checkouts. I just went to the doctors, and the doctor had only one nurse, and she was also running the front desk because he had this new machine that all he had to do was hook me up to it, and it took all of my vitals in one shot. He has 10 of them now, and he said one costs him about what a nurse would cost him annually, but the machine is guaranteed for 10 years, so it was a much better investment.
Automation is going to kill the economy IMO.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
The value of your labor is what it is and that is represented by the dollar. If one hour of your labor has the value to purchase one McDonald's meal it's not going to magically increase in value by increasing the dollar amount alone.

There may be a short time span where people will be able to afford more but at the end of the day if one hour of labor can buy you one McDonald's meal now that is all it will buy you in a short time. As the amount you are paid increases for the same labor the value of that dollar decreases. Bear in mind the minimum wage is just that, it's sets the bar for the least valuable labor. If you are making $15 an hour now now because your labor is more valuable that minimum not only do you deserve a raise if the minimum goes to $15 you should demand it, otherwise you have effectively taken a pay cut.

You will never increase what you make without an increase in the value of your labor.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:48 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:

You mean after the excess labor clears out of the area due to the jobs contraction?

You are describing one part of a cycle somewhat accurately. The part you are missing is the early part where lots of people lose their jobs and either leave or become homeless. These cycles do not move quickly.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:57 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
But then everything else will go up, this little pesky problem called inflation, and then everyone is right back to where they started.
And...correct. Another part of the cycle.

You can't game the system by enforcing an increased minimum wage. The system then re-balances in other ways before it again finds even ground where he new minimum wage has as much purchasing power as the old.

The net effect is that after lower income people leave an area, their vacuum sometimes filled by yuppies (gentrification). In short, the wage gap widens in the area. In fact, if I wanted to forcefully "clear the underbrush" of low skill workers in order to make room for gentrification, what I would do is raise the minimum wage.

Notice that, adjusted for inflation, the average wages in his nation have not risen in decades. This is in the context of many minimum wage hikes. How could that be? Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Forcing a minimum wage hike is like turning a giant rusty handcrank to force the cycle to move faster. People with giant debt make out well due to inflation, people with savings lose out greatly due to inflation, low skill workers clear out, amenities (businesses) contract in number, and unemployment rises leading to both an increase in low skill population mortality and exodus. It all comes around again to even ground, but after a lot of chaos.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Only 19 months before job destroying $15 minimum wage in Los Angeles

It has already been done elsewhere, the sky hasn't fallen ...

Old 04-22-2018, 07:18 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
The O.P. is from Texas and is lecturing California about wages. Here's a couple of facts:

- Calif GDP, $2.7T. Texas GDP lags far behind at $1.7T.

- Calif is #1 in manufacturing with $278 Bil in output. Texas again is behind at $227 Bil.

California must be doing something right, that's why our economy is humming along nicely. No. 1 in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies