Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
going too slowly is now 'causing a ruckus'?
says who? certainly no one on this thread claimed that.
They claimed that the women shouldn't have videod and that the voices of the women made them want to drown themselves.

And the fact that in the article it was stated that these women were a part of a traveling group of black women - a club (as noted black women love to be in black/colored women's clubs - especially women who are of the class of these women) and the idea that they don't know how to play golf or know of the rules of golf or would be extremely slow in the first place - they've been playing over a decade but yet they are just confused/unlearned about how to play or the pace of play, as if they did all this on purpose.

Also folks mentioning they "made it about race" or "brought in the NAACP" is funny to me considering they were the only black people at the club, plus the woman who videoed the entire thing is actually president of the NAACP of that county - so of course the NAACP would be involved since this involved the president of the NAACP of that county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Did these women learn golf from Ricky Ricardo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72c-YU0z1oY
They've been playing for over a decade yet you'd make such a silly statement/reference.

As I noted earlier, I have a group of older black lady friends. They play golf. They have professional golfers teach them the game when they just start out and they play with the professional golfers first before going out by themselves.

They wouldn't even let me play with them until I took lessons twice a week for 2 months with a man who actually did play as a PGA golfer, not a high ranking one, but he was on the PGA and he was the coach of their entire group/club of ladies. They were very serious about the game and my friends, like these women travel all over the country playing golf. People who do stuff like that are usually pretty serious players.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:42 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
As usual, the only explanation is racism.

I was able to correctly guess what the controversy was about because it's always about the same thing.

Women don't hit the ball as far as men and generally spend more time talking when they could be hitting the ball.

This means groups behind them have to wait and the entire system breaks down.

The fact that two of the sisters decided to stick around to cry racism/sexism is no surprise either.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:52 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They've been playing for over a decade yet you'd make such a silly statement/reference.
Sorry, I forgot Loony Leftists have no sense of humor. What a sad way to live.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh Good! As a business owner, I really feel sorry for the pediatrician.

My uncle is an emergency room doctor. He looks "white" but he is mixed. He has been called a racist many times. He really is not. He probably has seen thousands of patients in the past several years, he had about 4 bad reviews. Too bad not every satisfied patient would post a review, so SOME people choose to focus on the negative ones.
I read some reviews recently on a number of vacation rentals and wow, there are some real jerks out there.

Bad reviews for:

-"Bees outside stung their dog", it was just a passing bee type thing, not a hive hanging over the front door type thing.

-"It was cold and rainy during our trip"

-One particularly long ranting horrible review was countered by the owner saying, "You tried to cancel for a full refund 2 days before arriving and said you'd leave us a horrible review if we didn't concede the deposit etc. along with numerous other things they did after they showed up".

-"We went to the beach and got bug bites", which was somehow the condo owners fault and deserving of low marks.

Just can't ever take one sides word for something without investigating fully.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:01 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I read some reviews recently on a number of vacation rentals and wow, there are some real jerks out there.

Bad reviews for:

-"Bees outside stung their dog", it was just a passing bee type thing, not a hive hanging over the front door type thing.

-"It was cold and rainy during our trip"

-One particularly long ranting horrible review was countered by the owner saying, "You tried to cancel for a full refund 2 days before arriving and said you'd leave us a horrible review if we didn't concede the deposit etc. along with numerous other things they did after they showed up".

-"We went to the beach and got bug bites", which was somehow the condo owners fault and deserving of low marks.

Just can't ever take one sides word for something without investigating fully.
Yep.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
As I noted earlier, I have a group of older black lady friends. They play golf. They have professional golfers teach them the game when they just start out and they play with the professional golfers first before going out by themselves.

They wouldn't even let me play with them until I took lessons twice a week for 2 months with a man who actually did play as a PGA golfer, not a high ranking one, but he was on the PGA and he was the coach of their entire group/club of ladies. They were very serious about the game and my friends, like these women travel all over the country playing golf. People who do stuff like that are usually pretty serious players.
Ok, great post.

So, in their 10+ years of play all over the country have they ran into a situation like this where they got kicked off the course? Harassed?

I mean, that group is a pretty strong base-line given the amount they've played all over the place plus the fact that we know they're capable, well-informed golfers.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, great post.

So, in their 10+ years of play all over the country have they ran into a situation like this where they got kicked off the course? Harassed?

I mean, that group is a pretty strong base-line given the amount they've played all over the place plus the fact that we know they're capable, well-informed golfers.
Yes, they have gotten harrassed before. FWIW, they usually think it is gender discrimination - similar to what many of the posters have done on this thread - acted like since they are women the 1 - don't know the game of golf and 2 - are slow just because they are women.

My friends who are avid golfers, I'll be honest, they enjoy playing the game but they also today in conversations they proclaim that they "dare" people to basically F with them over them being women or being black.

Usually they have more issues BTW when it is a presidential election year. I remember in 2008 when I first started golfing with a good friend of mine and she introduced me to the group of ladies she plays/travels with for golf - that day two of their vehicles got vandalized due to one having an Obama bumper sticker. The club tried to act like the damage didn't happen at that club and the workers were very rude. My friend made them review video and they caught one of the white men members of the club hitting my friend's car with a driver on camera! The club fixed her car and the other of our party whose car was vandalized. She didn't have a sticker but we had met in the parking lot next to my friend's car and the guy who damaged both vehicles saw that the other woman was a member of our party. It took a lot of threats to get the club to pay for the damage, even after the video review (which occurred the same day - my friend is an exec of a property management company and she recognized the cameras - they tried to act like they didn't have cameras lol - then they tried to act like they didn't know how to review the video - she started off in IT and audio/video and told them to take her to the room and she'd review the tape herself. They called cops, the cops were cool cops - note my friend is also a pretty well known person in that county - similar to the woman who videoed this in PA - she knew one of the officers. My friend was in her late 50s at the time when all of this occurred. We had a pretty long interaction with this club which is why I remember it. They tried to act like they didn't know who the guy was who hit the vehicles with his club and my friend had to get the officers to canvass members who snitched on the guy. The club tried to act like they weren't responsible for paying due to the member's action as well later on and stated the man should pay her. She had an attorney friend of her's threaten to go to the media to them and send them a letter and they used their insurance and paid for both vehicles to be fixed.

We've also had people come and speak to us on golf courses before when we were playing for no reason at all in particular. We've also had clubs try to act like their fees were different (more expensive) seeming like they were trying to see if we could afford to golf lol.

There's been a lot of issues with them, but luckily they've never been kicked out of clubs. I remember speaking to my friend about this and the issues they endure golfing and how I honestly wouldn't want to do it regularly because it is too many issues - I like to relax on weekends/nice days and not be on guard for BS in my leisure activities. But she and her friends love the game and they are willing to put up with it and she is always saying no one will stop her from doing what she wants to do anymore - that happened to her parents/grandparents and it is NOT happening to her. To this day everytime she goes on a vacation, she finds a golf course. She has a group of 6 friends who are similar to her about the game and they often take trips together and split up into different parties and play on trips.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, they have gotten harrassed before. FWIW, they usually think it is gender discrimination - similar to what many of the posters have done on this thread - acted like since they are women the 1 - don't know the game of golf and 2 - are slow just because they are women.

My friends who are avid golfers, I'll be honest, they enjoy playing the game but they also today in conversations they proclaim that they "dare" people to basically F with them over them being women or being black.

Usually they have more issues BTW when it is a presidential election year. I remember in 2008 when I first started golfing with a good friend of mine and she introduced me to the group of ladies she plays/travels with for golf - that day two of their vehicles got vandalized due to one having an Obama bumper sticker. The club tried to act like the damage didn't happen at that club and the workers were very rude. My friend made them review video and they caught one of the white men members of the club hitting my friend's car with a driver on camera! The club fixed her car and the other of our party whose car was vandalized. She didn't have a sticker but we had met in the parking lot next to my friend's car and the guy who damaged both vehicles saw that the other woman was a member of our party. It took a lot of threats to get the club to pay for the damage, even after the video review (which occurred the same day - my friend is an exec of a property management company and she recognized the cameras - they tried to act like they didn't have cameras lol - then they tried to act like they didn't know how to review the video - she started off in IT and audio/video and told them to take her to the room and she'd review the tape herself. They called cops, the cops were cool cops - note my friend is also a pretty well known person in that county - similar to the woman who videoed this in PA - she knew one of the officers. My friend was in her late 50s at the time when all of this occurred. We had a pretty long interaction with this club which is why I remember it. They tried to act like they didn't know who the guy was who hit the vehicles with his club and my friend had to get the officers to canvass members who snitched on the guy. The club tried to act like they weren't responsible for paying due to the member's action as well later on and stated the man should pay her. She had an attorney friend of her's threaten to go to the media to them and send them a letter and they used their insurance and paid for both vehicles to be fixed.

We've also had people come and speak to us on golf courses before when we were playing for no reason at all in particular. We've also had clubs try to act like their fees were different (more expensive) seeming like they were trying to see if we could afford to golf lol.

There's been a lot of issues with them, but luckily they've never been kicked out of clubs. I remember speaking to my friend about this and the issues they endure golfing and how I honestly wouldn't want to do it regularly because it is too many issues - I like to relax on weekends/nice days and not be on guard for BS in my leisure activities. But she and her friends love the game and they are willing to put up with it and she is always saying no one will stop her from doing what she wants to do anymore - that happened to her parents/grandparents and it is NOT happening to her. To this day everytime she goes on a vacation, she finds a golf course. She has a group of 6 friends who are similar to her about the game and they often take trips together and split up into different parties and play on trips.
Thank you for sharing. I thought this would be a great baseline and you sure didn't disappoint.

FWIW, I quit playing golf probably 20 years ago because of the atmosphere at the courses, snobbery, rigidity and so forth. I'm sure it varies from course to course but I find it to be not the kind of place I felt better after going to.

Also ran into a lot of over-serious a-holes on the courses so not surprised at all by your stories.

It's probably getting better now as golfs popularity is falling back to earth after the Tiger surge and a lot of courses are in financial trouble. They're likely more accommodating in general.

P.S. I'll never understand what sort of low-class loser damages someone elses stuff over a bumper sticker.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:24 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
If you fall behind a full hole after playing two holes, you are REALLY slow and it doesn't matter what color your skin is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies