Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

slow play? It's golf. It's a slow game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Again, you don't know, the bold is your speculation.

Your last sentence, maybe yes and maybe no. Example: Do you have any your posts deleted? well, I have many posts deleted. (in my opinion, opinion being the keyword here, unnecessarily) One time, I told a poster, "Maybe you should get off your moral high horse." I've been suspended for five days, no questions asked. I certainly have felt I've been treated unfairly. I realized that I probably have been reported by somebody, nothing more, nothing less.

My family owns several retail stores in the shopping mall. One time, I helped a white woman first because she was in the store for over twenty minutes. A black woman called me a racist because in her mind, I should have helped HER first. I told her, "I will be right there with you, this lady came in first." I called the security guard and the guard could not resolve the issue. I ended up giving the black woman 20% discount. Lucky for me, there was a security camera and it showed the white woman came to the store first. I didn't do anything wrong. But, here is always the big "but". I cannot afford a bad yelp! review, so I felt the 20% discount will be good enough to make her go away.

well, I have been in retail business long enough to know that black people DO NOT steal more, and I will be the FIRST to report that. But there are certainly minorities (not just blacks) who love to play the race card in order to get what they want.

I am not saying racism does not exist. But based on how I was treated on the internet, I have to say that racism or bias is certainly not a white ONLY thing. There are a lot of racist minorities. I am a mixed girl who voted for Trump, that is ENOUGH for somebody to dislike me for no reasons at all. In real life, I have never been treated badly, I don't know why. Maybe I am just lucky.

All these being said, many people don’t believe that everything is racist, however, they’re intelligent and informed enough to understand that racism has a strong effect over a lot of things in society today.

However, there are also SOME people use terms such as racist, bigot, mysoginist, sexist, etc in order to avoid having a conversation with you. They only serve to shut you up and to tarnish your “reputation” and credibility in the eyes of their peers.

plus, Racism is confusing because race itself is a loosely defined term. It’s a little bit of ethnicity and a little bit of genetics. Race lines are not as clearly defined as those dividing people on the basis of faith, language,ethnicity etc.
LOL on the bold. I've probably had more deleted than you. I've had every post I posted in a thread deleted lol. I've also been blocked for a while and have warnings right now.

I've also been called racist before by all sorts of people, including black people, so I understand that sometimes people claim ridiculous things.

However, again, these are 50-60 year old professional black women. They are avid golfers. They are a travelling group of golfers. They asked permission up front for their 5th member. They were followed from the beginning of their play. They were not asked to leave, according to them, until one of them pointed out that they were the only black women golfers that day and they are the only people being bothered.

I believe them and don't see a reason why they were not discriminated against based on the attitude of the person interacting with them on the video and the fact that they are avid golfers and know how to play golf and know of the rules of the game.

And again, I didn't say anything in my initial comment about racism. As noted above, people have often called me a racist. I don't care. Most of it was due to me not taking someone's side at work or me calling them out on their discriminatory language and them getting mad at me and lashing out - same way people do around here - say something they don't like and only "play" they have - because they cannot think with any critical thought skills, is that you are a racist. They don't even know what racism is.

I very rarely say that, yet nearly everytime I make comments around here you and others say I am calling people racist lol. It actually takes a lot for me to consider someone a racist. They have to exhibit some pretty blatant views regarding people of a different race for me to consider them as such - and consistently for me - this is when they state that someone of a particular race is in someway inferior or superior to another group of people. That didn't occur with these women, so I don't know why you confused "racial bias" or "discrimination" with "racism" and started talking about racist and racism.

On "the race card" IMO there is no such thing. And when people say that IMO that means they cannot have a rational, intelligent discussion about "race" because they are stuck in their own views and automatically think that other people are accusing them of something instead of having a discussion - usually started by the person I'll add who will all of a sudden claim someone is "playing the race card."

Will note, in real life - I am often "treated bad" or have negative comments or assumptions directed toward me. I am often though to be on welfare/foodstamps, I'm often thought to be stealing by retailers, I'm often told how "black people" should do (insert blank) just because I am black. I'm often told specifically a lot of negative things about "black women" by all sorts of people including black men. I have been arrested by police for no reason (all charges were dropped and I received a settlement). I've been questioned for no reason in a variety of places or followed and like these women - because as I noted above - I was raised by women like this - I flat out stated/asked them if they were following me because I am a black woman and if so, they should go follow someone else before I sue them. Most people leave me alone when I point this out. When I'm assumed to have an EBT card/foodstamps at gas stations on road trips, I make a point to tell clerks that they shouldn't assume all black women are on food stamps and how that is bias. When I am at work and all my white colleagues get in a discussion about "minority businesses" (I work in supply chain) and they all start to b**ch about black businesses only (how they don't "work good" or they are "too expensive" and how they cannot get more than 1% minority business spend in organizations that spend nearly half a billion dollars a year) I speak up and tell them that is bias and if they advertised their work more that they would get enough minority businesses, also that "minority" doesn't equal "black" and that I have never had any problem with expense when it comes to minority businesses - that is what negotiation is for - tell them you want a certain price and they will usually bend to the whim of what you want since they want the business. Never had any exorbitant issues with minority vendors (except ironically Latino/Hispanic owned businesses for construction projects who cut corners but those were specific business owner issues IMO and was not a reflection on all Latino/Hispanic business owners).

So I have more experience I bet with "discrimination" and being witness to or having racial bias directed towards me than yourself. So I believe these women because I bet they have more experience with it than you as well and you all making excuses for the business when they have apologized and seek to reconcile with these women - the women did ask for a 5th person - the time they were taking on the course was not exorbitant compared to the average time for a game - the fact that when they did skip the 3rd hole to "speed up" like the fake owner wanted them to do that they had to wait for the party in front of them to tee off on the 4th hole, the fact that they were spoken to almost as soon as they started playing, for me means they were singled out. And they are seniors and they know how to recognize when they are being discriminated against.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:29 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
There is no such thing as a fivesome on a golf course. It should have never been allowed.

That being said, there is now and there always has been an underlying issue with men and women on the golf course. Women play somewhat slower than men and some men don't handle this well. What probably happened was the women were approached and told to speed it up.

Presto! a Racial incident!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll also note it is interesting that posters thus far have ignored the fact that the ladies said and it was not denied in the video that the group of white men behind them were also on a break and that they were on a break longer than the black women getting beers and sodas, yet they were not asked to leave.

If I were in the group and had these men walk up on me in the middle of teeing off telling me that I was moving too slow, yet the white men behind me were slower and also breaking and enjoying a good time, then I would have an issue as well.
In golf, you go as fast as the group in front of you allows. LOL!

Quote:
Glad the ladies took a video. I wouldn't be surprised if these women are members of "colored women's clubs" or other sororities and if they will have all of their members come storm this club and take forever to play a game of golf lol. That's how old black ladies role many times - they will not be stereotypical "ghetto" they are very action oriented and will make a show in a large way in a professional manner.
There are no breaks between the number 9 and 10 holes that should EVER last more than 3 to 5 minutes, there is only a quick chance to grab a drink and use the rest room.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
LOL on the bold. I've probably had more deleted than you. I've had every post I posted in a thread deleted lol. I've also been blocked for a while and have warnings right now.

I've also been called racist before by all sorts of people, including black people, so I understand that sometimes people claim ridiculous things.

However, again, these are 50-60 year old professional black women. They are avid golfers. They are a travelling group of golfers. They asked permission up front for their 5th member. They were followed from the beginning of their play. They were not asked to leave, according to them, until one of them pointed out that they were the only black women golfers that day and they are the only people being bothered.

I believe them and don't see a reason why they were not discriminated against based on the attitude of the person interacting with them on the video and the fact that they are avid golfers and know how to play golf and know of the rules of the game.

And again, I didn't say anything in my initial comment about racism. As noted above, people have often called me a racist. I don't care. Most of it was due to me not taking someone's side at work or me calling them out on their discriminatory language and them getting mad at me and lashing out - same way people do around here - say something they don't like and only "play" they have - because they cannot think with any critical thought skills, is that you are a racist. They don't even know what racism is.

I very rarely say that, yet nearly everytime I make comments around here you and others say I am calling people racist lol. It actually takes a lot for me to consider someone a racist. They have to exhibit some pretty blatant views regarding people of a different race for me to consider them as such - and consistently for me - this is when they state that someone of a particular race is in someway inferior or superior to another group of people. That didn't occur with these women, so I don't know why you confused "racial bias" or "discrimination" with "racism" and started talking about racist and racism.

On "the race card" IMO there is no such thing. And when people say that IMO that means they cannot have a rational, intelligent discussion about "race" because they are stuck in their own views and automatically think that other people are accusing them of something instead of having a discussion - usually started by the person I'll add who will all of a sudden claim someone is "playing the race card."

Will note, in real life - I am often "treated bad" or have negative comments or assumptions directed toward me. I am often though to be on welfare/foodstamps, I'm often thought to be stealing by retailers, I'm often told how "black people" should do (insert blank) just because I am black. I'm often told specifically a lot of negative things about "black women" by all sorts of people including black men. I have been arrested by police for no reason (all charges were dropped and I received a settlement). I've been questioned for no reason in a variety of places or followed and like these women - because as I noted above - I was raised by women like this - I flat out stated/asked them if they were following me because I am a black woman and if so, they should go follow someone else before I sue them. Most people leave me alone when I point this out. When I'm assumed to have an EBT card/foodstamps at gas stations on road trips, I make a point to tell clerks that they shouldn't assume all black women are on food stamps and how that is bias. When I am at work and all my white colleagues get in a discussion about "minority businesses" (I work in supply chain) and they all start to b**ch about black businesses only (how they don't "work good" or they are "too expensive" and how they cannot get more than 1% minority business spend in organizations that spend nearly half a billion dollars a year) I speak up and tell them that is bias and if they advertised their work more that they would get enough minority businesses, also that "minority" doesn't equal "black" and that I have never had any problem with expense when it comes to minority businesses - that is what negotiation is for - tell them you want a certain price and they will usually bend to the whim of what you want since they want the business. Never had any exorbitant issues with minority vendors (except ironically Latino/Hispanic owned businesses for construction projects who cut corners but those were specific business owner issues IMO and was not a reflection on all Latino/Hispanic business owners).

So I have more experience I bet with "discrimination" and being witness to or having racial bias directed towards me than yourself. So I believe these women because I bet they have more experience with it than you as well and you all making excuses for the business when they have apologized and seek to reconcile with these women - the women did ask for a 5th person - the time they were taking on the course was not exorbitant compared to the average time for a game - the fact that when they did skip the 3rd hole to "speed up" like the fake owner wanted them to do that they had to wait for the party in front of them to tee off on the 4th hole, the fact that they were spoken to almost as soon as they started playing, for me means they were singled out. And they are seniors and they know how to recognize when they are being discriminated against.
Again, you don't know if they were discriminated against, you speculated.

I am not saying they shouldn't feel the way they feel because there are no right or wrong feelings, but in this particular case, I believe it was the GROUP BEHIND them complained.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
slow play? It's golf. It's a slow game.
So courses should put up with slow golfers who violate their rules, and inconvenience others. That is bad for business, and why the rules are in place. Guess its OK to be both inconsiderate, and break the rules in which you agreed when you signed up. I though Libs were all for the consideration of others? Guess they are just selfish idiots.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Again, you don't know if they were discriminated against, you speculated.

I am not saying they shouldn't feel the way they feel because there are no right or wrong feelings, but in this particular case, I believe it was the GROUP BEHIND them complained.
I said I believe them, that they were discriminated against because of their statements, the statements of the owner and the fact that they are 50-60 years old and I respect the fact that older people know what they are talking about most of the time - there is no "speculation" involved.

And there is no indication at all that the group behind them complained, and if they did, so what - the fake owner could have told them there was no basis to their complaints (the group behind them) and left the women alone.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I said I believe them, that they were discriminated against because of their statements, the statements of the owner and the fact that they are 50-60 years old and I respect the fact that older people know what they are talking about most of the time.

And there is no indication at all that the group behind them complained, and if they did, so what - the fake owner could have told them there was no basis to their complaints (the group behind them) and left the women alone.
well, like I said earlier,

Good rangers communicate the problems and keep it from being personal. 'Hey guys, things are starting to back up on the holes behind you guys. If there is any way you guys could pick it up a little, I'd really appreciate it.' Bad rangers escalate the situation. 'you guys are slowing things down and now everybody's waiting behind you.'

It's a subtle difference, but it usually makes a ton of difference. The ego coupled with the 'I paid my money for this round' attitude usually ends up with emotions getting involved, tempers flaring and nobody wanting to back down.

Too bad it wasn't handled a bit better and left you with a bad taste in your mouth.

But they got a civil rights group involved, so it became "racial".

It looks like private businesses are subject to public opinion these days. If they say you are a racist, then you must be. Yes, private businesses certainly should apologize if they MADE the customers FEEL a certain way, but there is no way they should apologize for being racist when they are not! this is the difference.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Good rangers communicate the problems and keep it from being personal. 'Hey guys, things are starting to back up on the holes behind you guys. If there is any way you guys could pick it up a little, I'd really appreciate it.' Bad rangers escalate the situation. 'you guys are slowing things down and now everybody's waiting behind you.'

It's a subtle difference, but it usually makes a ton of difference. The ego coupled with the 'I paid my money for this round' attitude usually ends up with emotions getting involved, tempers flaring and nobody wanting to back down.

Too bad it wasn't handled a bit better and left you with a bad taste in your mouth.

LOL on your last sentence. Not sure if you read the article but one of the women has an executive position with the NAACP!

That's what happens - groups get involved - when racial bias is directed towards older black women who are "connected" especially those that play golf. All older black women I know who are in the 40s-90s who are golfers, they are connected with civil rights organizations and many are professional business women or hold some sort of public position or office. So that is the chance you take when you single out black women on a golf course. ETA: Golf is a pretty "rich" game still. All the black women I know who golf would be considered rather "rich" and well off and contrary to what many of you may know, richer black people basically run civil rights organizations so as I noted earlier, they can easily call in an army of sorts to take up their cause.

And there is no "taste in my mouth." I don't take this personal. As I noted stuff like this happens to me all the time and even in those instances, they don't bother me that much. Just because I believe them doesn't mean I have a "bad taste in my mouth" lol. It means I believe what they said based on the outcome and who these women are.

You and others chose not to do so and that is on you. You can also chose to ignore my comments on the matter as well. Doesn't make a difference to me.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:

It looks like private businesses are subject to public opinion these days. If they say you are a racist, then you must be. Yes, private businesses certainly should apologize if they MADE the customers FEEL a certain way, but there is no way they should apologize for being racist when they are not! this is the difference.
Again, I didn't say they were racist....

You are really hung up on thinking people are accusing you and other whites of being racist. Not sure why you keep saying that - racial and gender bias is not predicated on racism. Bias can be based on both race and gender or a combination of both. IMO it was a combination of both in this instance. Not many people are aware that black women who golf are not the stereotypical black woman they believe all of us to be. People who buy into stereotypes are not necessarily racist but they are capable of using that bias to discriminate against someone based on their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies