Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Hyde Amendment already covers medically necessary abortions, so why do state taxpayers have to fund additional abortions?

There are other things the Hyde amendment didn't/doesn't cover like military and federal personnel, Native Americans, federal prisoners and detainees, fatal anomalies to the fetus and it only covers Medicaid payments.
For someone supposedly informed on this subject you don't seem to know much about it.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
They're public health department family planning clinics. Private medical practices don't get Title X funding. Only PP, which is a private organization, does.
"Publicly funded" does not mean "publicly operated". Good grief!

Just for fun, because my boss is on vacation and I can get away with it, I went back to the Title X Clinic Search link you provided, and put in my former work ZIP in a neighborhood of Philadelphia, figuring I'd get more hits than near my home in the 'burbs. Of the 50 locations that came up:

1. District Health Center #9 - is, indeed, a health clinic run by the city of Philadelphia. Public organization.
2. and 3. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia locations - a private, non-profit organization. Private organization.
4. Central High School health resource clinic - a public school clinic. Public organization.
5. Abbottsford Falls Family Practice - a FQHC (look it up) operated by a private, non-profit organization. Private organization.
6. Stenton Manor PHMC - a clinic in a private, non-profit homeless shelter operated by the private, non-profit organization Public Health Management Corporation of Philadelphia. PHMC receives a mix of private and public (federal, state, and local, including Title X) funding. Private organization.
7. Fast Family Care - operated by the same private, non-profit organization that operates Abbottsford Falls Family Practice. Private organization.
8. Temple University Family Planning Services - unsure about this. While Temple is a state-funded non-profit, its health care operations may operate under a separate tax ID and may be a separate 501c3.
9. and 10. are health resource clinics in public high schools. Public organization.
11. Rising Sun Health Center - also operated by Public Health Management Corporation. Private organization.
12. Strawberry Mansion Health Center - also operated by the City of Philadelphia. Public organization.
13. Sheila Dennis Shelter - also operated by Public Health Management Corporation. Private organization.
14. St. Christopher's Hospital For Children - a private, non-profit hospital. Private organization.
15. Congreso de Latinos Unidos - a private, non-profit organization. Private organization.

There were 2 or 3 Planned Parenthood locations in the list. Of course, you already know that Planned Parenthood is a private, non-profit organization.

I'll stop there - I certainly hope you get the idea now; some Title X publicly funded family planning clinics are private organizations, some are public. If you're still confused about how this works, I can run out the other 35 publicly funded family planning clinics for you within that ZIP.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 04-30-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 09:46 AM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
You're high if you think 14,000+ publicly funded family planning clinics can't absorb the patients of only 650 PP clinics (yes, I looked up the actual numbers).

Actually, it does, per a study conducted by a pro-family planning, pro-contraception services organization:

Fully 1/3 of the respondents in this pro-family planning, pro-contraception services organization's study believe that the government pushes free birth control as a means of deliberately limiting the size of minority populations. They view the government pushing birth control on them as racism:

Although Most Unmarried Young Adults Want to Avoid Pregnancy, Many Don't Use Contraception

Interestingly, note that it's exactly those same minorities who are disproportionately poor.

Texas tried what you are proposing back in 2011 by cutting their budget for family planning from 111M to 38M in an attempt to close PP clinics. It was an underhanded way since they couldn't just cut funds to a viable clinic that met the standard so they cut across the board.

Maybe reduced use of contraception and IUD's along with increased cost and waiting times makes sense if you want an increased unwanted birth rate.

Texas was a real life disaster by every measure, but congress wants to use this as the national model.

Quote:
Texas legislature cut the two-year budget for funding family planning from $111 million to $38 million in an effort to defund Planned Parenthood. After these cuts, 82 Texas family planning clinics — one out of every four in the state — closed or stopped providing family planning services. An unintended consequence of the law was that two-thirds of the clinics that closed were not even Planned Parenthood clinics.

Our study of what happened in Texas provides some warnings of what to expect if the GOP carries out its plan. In 2011, the Texas legislature cut the two-year budget for funding family planning from $111 million to $38 million in an effort to defund Planned Parenthood. After these cuts, 82 Texas family planning clinics — one out of every four in the state — closed or stopped providing family planning services. An unintended consequence of the law was that two-thirds of the clinics that closed were not even Planned Parenthood clinics. Organizations that remained open, many with reduced hours, were often unable to offer the most effective methods of contraception, such as IUDs and contraceptive implants, to women who wanted them. The closings and reduced hours also eliminated or cut back access to primary care providers for a significant number of women. The leaders of family planning clinics who we interviewed felt devastated by the choices they had to make, and some ended their interview sessions in tears.

Removing Planned Parenthood from the Women’s Health Program reduced access to IUDs and implants at a time when use of these methods was increasing in the rest of the country. Comparing counties with and without a Planned Parenthood clinic, our research found that in counties with no clinic, there was a reduction of 36 percent in the provision of IUDs and implants and a reduction of 31 percent in the provision of injectable contraceptives. In a survey we conducted among former Planned Parenthood clients who used injectable contraception in Houston and Midland, many reported difficulties finding a new provider, having to repeat exams or make multiple appointments before getting a method and being charged unauthorized co-payments. Several years later, many were using less-effective methods, and some had become pregnant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.b2d17e908a14

Old 04-30-2018, 09:58 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are other things the Hyde amendment didn't/doesn't cover like military and federal personnel, Native Americans, federal prisoners and detainees, fatal anomalies to the fetus and it only covers Medicaid payments.
Why wouldn't their federal benefits pay for a medically necessary abortion? I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Publicly funded" does not mean "publicly operated". Good grief!

Just for fun, because my boss is on vacation and I can get away with it, I went back to the Title X Clinic Search link you provided, and put in my former work ZIP in a neighborhood of Philadelphia, figuring I'd get more hits than near my home in the 'burbs. Of the 50 locations that came up:

1. District Health Center #9 - is, indeed, a health clinic run by the city of Philadelphia. Public organization.
2. and 3. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia locations - a private, non-profit organization. Private organization.
Why does a children's hospital need to provide abortions?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Texas tried what you are proposing back in 2011 by cutting their budget for family planning from 111M to 38M in an attempt to close PP clinics. It was an underhanded way since they couldn't just cut funds to a viable clinic that met the standard so they cut across the board.

Maybe reduced use of contraception and IUD's along with increased cost and waiting times makes sense if you want an increased unwanted birth rate.
Again, I'm going to have to ask you what the increased birth rate was by race, and explain to you why that happened.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 AM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Why does a children's hospital need to provide abortions?
Oh, for Pete's sake - talk about being willfully obtuse. The list I quoted comes directly from the link you provided on finding Title X clinics.

And because some folks' memories are short, either that or their reading comprehension is faulty, Title X federal funding is for family planning and reproductive services - excluding abortions.

The link below will take you to the Title X-funded clinics operating within 10 miles of the ZIP Code 19144:

https://opa-fpclinicdb.hhs.gov/searc...4&geosearch=10

I'd go through the whole list for you and figure out the percentage that are publicly operated vs. privately operated, but it's time for lunch.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:10 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't their federal benefits pay for a medically necessary abortion? I've never heard of such a thing.
Maybe you should actually read up on the Hyde Amendment, no?
Its all right there in black and white.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:41 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
You're high if you think 14,000+ publicly funded family planning clinics can't absorb the patients of only 650 PP clinics (yes, I looked up the actual numbers).

Actually, it does, per a study conducted by a pro-family planning, pro-contraception services organization:

Fully 1/3 of the respondents in this pro-family planning, pro-contraception services organization's study believe that the government pushes free birth control as a means of deliberately limiting the size of minority populations. They view the government pushing birth control on them as racism:

Although Most Unmarried Young Adults Want to Avoid Pregnancy, Many Don't Use Contraception

Interestingly, note that it's exactly those same minorities who are disproportionately poor.
I am not the one who says the "publicly funded family planning clinics" cannot absorb the PP patients. The people running the "publicly funded family planning clinics" say they cannot do it.

You have already been shown what happened in Texas and Wisconsin when family planning funding was cut. One clinic had 5000 charts transferred to it. Only 100 of those patients managed to actually transfer care. Unplanned pregnancies increased.

The perception of racism is not proof that racism is at the heart of family planning initiatives. Nice of you to promote the idea, though. Anything to keep women away from PP, eh?

Unplanned pregnancies help keep women poor. If you want them to be able to pull themselves out of poverty, do not make contraceptive services harder to get. Much as you wish to believe otherwise, closing PP facilities, many of which do no abortions at all, makes contraceptive services harder to get.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:35 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Planned Parenthood is one of the most investigated organizations in the world, if they found something you can bet they would be held accountable. Maybe you forgot about the right wing conspiracies during the republican presidential campaign.

Nice job working Hillary into a thread on PP.
"Planned Parenthood is one of the most investigated organizations in the world,"

And Trump has been the MOST INVESTIGATED Presidents in our history yet he is STILL President.

The Clinton's have been investigate almost their entire carreers and have NEVER spent a minute in jail.

Al Capone was investigated for Years and they FINALLY got something on him.

Lois Lerner was instigated for quite a whie and was never charged with anything.

"It ain't over until the fat lady sings" as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies