Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,521,289 times

Advertisements

hi, i got jury duty from my county on 05.07.2018 and i got another summons from the u.s. courts for 05.21.2018.

i went to the website for the u.s. courts and clicked on excuse or postponement from jury duty and in the reason i stated i already have jury duty on 05.07 and provided the juror #. this postponement was denied.

for both summons the instructions are to call the nite before to verify if i'm selected.

i always thought it was illegal to do jury duty more than once; but, i guess not ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,517,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
hi, i got jury duty from my county on 05.07.2018 and i got another summons from the u.s. courts for 05.21.2018.

i went to the website for the u.s. courts and clicked on excuse or postponement from jury duty and in the reason i stated i already have jury duty on 05.07 and provided the juror #. this postponement was denied.

for both summons the instructions are to call the nite before to verify if i'm selected.

i always thought it was illegal to do jury duty more than once; but, i guess not ?
Your guess is correct.
Once you show up they fall in love with you.
They can't wait to see you again and again.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM

16,745 posts, read 8,104,142 times
Separate Courts. Your local county and then Federal. I would think if you are picked as a juror in the county, if the case lasts past the start for the Federal you would be excused.

You would need to contact the Federal Court if that happened.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,326,692 times
How is forced jury duty not prohibited by the Constitution's protections against slavery and involuntary servitude? Why should government be exempt from following the Constitution? If I am ever forced to serve as a juror, I will automatically vote "not guilty" every time as a form of revenge on an unjust system.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 AM

16,745 posts, read 8,104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
How is forced jury duty not prohibited by the Constitution's protections against slavery and involuntary servitude? Why should government be exempt from following the Constitution? If I am ever forced to serve as a juror, I will automatically vote "not guilty" every time as a form of revenge on an unjust system.
Make sure you explain that to the judge when you go. Then get back to this and let us know what happens.

Jury duty is service to your fellow citizens, making sure our courts are run by the law. You also are paid for your service. Slavery and involuntary servitude are not viable ways to get out of serving.

Last edited by Boss; 04-24-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 11:37 AM

38,967 posts, read 27,331,955 times
Quote:

I can only speculate here. I think they might have made a mistake. Maybe call them and see if they can cancel the second one?

Similar thing happened to me once. One used my Japanese last name which is also my middle name, the other one used the last name on my driver's license. I called and they canceled my second one.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:37 PM

608 posts, read 509,026 times
Years ago I received three jury duty notices in about a months time. One for Orange county municiple, and Superior courts, and one for the Federal Grand Jury in Los Angeles. I was excused for all of them as a sole proprietor of my business, but I don't think they will accept that excuse anymore. It has gotten tougher to get out of it these days.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,455,039 times
Quote:

Send the latter court a letter with a copy of both of the summonses and tell them it would be a hardship to miss that much work in one month.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Separate Courts. Your local county and then Federal. I would think if you are picked as a juror in the county, if the case lasts past the start for the Federal you would be excused.

You would need to contact the Federal Court if that happened.

The Federal Court, is not interested that you may be empaneled for weeks and if a good one, over a month?

They are betting it is a traffic ticket jury and you will be done in a day!

My wife is a jury notice magnet. about every 6 months to a year she gets one. She has sat on 2 empaneled juries. Both traffic accidents.
I have never been summoned for jury duty.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:24 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
Years ago I received three jury duty notices in about a months time. One for Orange county municiple, and Superior courts, and one for the Federal Grand Jury in Los Angeles. I was excused for all of them as a sole proprietor of my business, but I don't think they will accept that excuse anymore. It has gotten tougher to get out of it these days.

They don't accept that excuse here... Ask my wife, she has tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies