Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 12:14 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So am I wrong to assume you are an anchor baby or did your parents come here legally? If they didn't then they adapted to American culture so why can't it happen in reverse? Sorry, but if your parents are here illegally and any of your siblings brought here illegally then they need to go back home. It may seem harsh to you but our laws are our laws.
No, they’re legal. But Ill be real they weren’t initially. My mom was brought here as a little girl She got her citizensh later on.

My dad not sure how he got here. But he’s retired from the Navy. Also just using my brother as an example. But he’s born here.

Last edited by Chicano3000X; 04-27-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 12:17 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
There are only two real, practical solutions (and they are not mutually exclusive).

#1 Forcing employers to verify immigration status and having punitive enforcement mechanisms to punish offenders.

#2 Making legal immigration sufficiently easy that the incentive to emigrate illegally is eliminated.

If anyone tells you that anything else will work, they are almost certainly lying to you because these two options are both equally politically unpalatable, but for different reasons.

1. I'm all for reining in the employers via e-verify and severe punishment for non-compliance. However, birthright citizen for their kids and benefits is another big magnet that draws them here, thus the wall.

2. It's not about easy but whether or not we need every single foreigner that wants to come here. Clearly, we don't and that's why they come here illegally anyway, thus the wall.

Lastly, granting another amnesty does not get Americans their jobs back and has already proven to be a failure back in 1986. Now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Fool me once.....

Old 04-27-2018, 12:29 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No, they’re legal. But Ill be real they weren’t initially. My mom was brought here as a little girl She got her citizensh later on.

My dad not sure how he got here. But he’s retired from the Navy. Also just using my brother as an example. But he’s born here.

In your prior post you acted like deportation for your parents or siblings here under illegal status at the time was unfair thus my reply to you. It's not unfair to deport any illegal aliens and using the excuse of not knowing the culture and language of their homelands is a lame excuse and not truthful either.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In your prior post you acted like deportation for your parents or siblings here under illegal status at the time was unfair thus my reply to you. It's not unfair to deport any illegal aliens and using the excuse of not knowing the culture and language of their homelands is a lame excuse and not truthful either.
Just making an example that there’s people in that situation. They’re as American as you and me in all their mannerisms and are familiar with alot of American culture. They just lack some papers. But they were essentially molded by this country since childhood and it’s the only home they’ve ever known. They love it just as much as you and me love it. Like having someone who was a parent to you only to find out your not biological and now you gotta be sent to a strangers house. Only difference is the house, and your dumped there witt nothing. Witth no fault of your own.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Just making an example that there’s people in that situation. They’re as American as you and me in all their mannerisms and are familiar with alot of American culture. They just lack some papers. But they were essentially molded by this country since childhood and it’s the only home they’ve ever known. They love it just as much as you and me love it. Like having someone who was a parent to you only to find out your not biological and now you gotta be sent to a strangers house. Only difference is the house, and your dumped there witt nothing. Witth no fault of your own.
Knowing the culture or loving the country doesn't exempt you from the laws.

If I went to Italy as an illegal would they make the exception for me?

Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Knowing the culture or loving the country doesn't exempt you from the laws.

If I went to Italy as an illegal would they make the exception for me?
If you were a kid with no way of knowing what was going on when you arrived and grew up there. Yes, maybe they'd still deport you. But IDK italy.

But we can be better than them. Morally. It wasn't your fault you grew up there. It's been your home for years and suddenly you gotta go? Why not examine your life and choices and how well you did in school and let that determine your fate? And that only applies because you came at such a young age.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:23 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
There are only two real, practical solutions (and they are not mutually exclusive).

#1 Forcing employers to verify immigration status and having punitive enforcement mechanisms to punish offenders.

#2 Making legal immigration sufficiently easy that the incentive to emigrate illegally is eliminated.

If anyone tells you that anything else will work, they are almost certainly lying to you because these two options are both equally politically unpalatable, but for different reasons.
More:

#3 Pulic schools should not admit undocumented children. As it stands anybody can enroll undocumented children into any public school they want, no questions asked. This is why we have a "DACA" problem. No one would smuggle children into the United States illegally if they knew that they would not be able to attend public schools here.

#4 End birth right citizenship. It is a mis-reading of the 14th Amendment and what it was actually intended for.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:31 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
More:

#3 Pulic schools should not admit undocumented children. As it stands anybody can enroll undocumented children into any public school they want, no questions asked. This is why we have a "DACA" problem. No one would smuggle children into the United States illegally if they knew that they would not be able to attend public schools here.

#4 End birth right citizenship. It is a mis-reading of the 14th Amendment and what it was actually intended for.
Public schools are funded by property taxes, which undocumented families pay either directly or indirectly. No reason to punish children at the expense of society's future just to be vindictive.

Birthright citizenship is here to stay. That's a political nonstarter.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Neither is doable.
Employer sanctions are doable! It's already illegal to hire undocumented immigrants. All we would have to do is start enforcing that.

ICE does raids at businesses, but their mistake is going after the undocumented employees rather than the employers. There should be 25K dollar fines to the employer for each undocumented worker they are caught with.

Mass deportations are not necessary. If the threat to employers became real, none would dare hire (exploit) an undocumented worker. Then illegals wouldn't be able to find a job and leave the country on their own terms.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Public schools are funded by property taxes, which undocumented families pay either directly or indirectly. No reason to punish children at the expense of society's future just to be vindictive.
It would not be cruel at all. Undocumented children wouldn't have been brought here in the first place if they could not go to school. No punishment or cruelty. If we eliminate that, people would stop smuggling them in. There would be no incentive for people to bring children here unlawfully.

What we are doing now is actually worse. We allow them to go to school K-12 like normal citizens do, but when they get out they find out that they arent supposed to be here and won't have the same rights as their peers. That's cruel.

Allowing them to go to school seems compassionate but it creates bigger problems: Illegal child smuggling rings, and a whole generation of "DACA" children who have grown up in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies