Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,357,414 times

Advertisements

Great idea Hermandad Mexicana.. just genius !

As more cities and counties add their voices to an anti-sanctuary movement, one civil rights group wants to fight back by taking an unusual tack – asking Latinos not to cooperate with law enforcement.

A decades-old activist organization, Hermandad Mexicana on Tuesday announced a statewide campaign of “non-violent, non-cooperation” with all police authorities.

Nativo Lopez, a long-time immigrant-rights advocate and an occasionally controversial figure, said to communities adopting an anti-sanctuary stance: “The public safety of Orange County cannot be preserved without our cooperation. To the degree that our families’ public safety is endangered, so will yours and that of the general public.”

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/04/24...alk-with-cops/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 01:05 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,194,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

As more cities and counties add their voices to an anti-sanctuary movement, one civil rights group wants to fight back by taking an unusual tack – asking Latinos not to cooperate with law enforcement.

A decades-old activist organization, Hermandad Mexicana on Tuesday announced a statewide campaign of “non-violent, non-cooperation” with all police authorities.

Nativo Lopez, a long-time immigrant-rights advocate and an occasionally controversial figure, said to communities adopting an anti-sanctuary stance: “The public safety of Orange County cannot be preserved without our cooperation. To the degree that our families’ public safety is endangered, so will yours and that of the general public.”

Many Latinos don't talk to cops. It makes policing very difficult, so cities adopted Sanctuary City policy, so the cops and citizens will talk and it helps the cops and it makes the neighborhood safer. Not to mention, many cops are not trained nor do they want to be immigration police.

This is why Sanctuary City is necessary and it's working.

Until the Right comes in and try to F*** things up like they always do.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,086,873 times
Actually it's true. For anyone. Don't talk to cops. Just comply. You might accidentally make your case worse and say something that could be used against you.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:57 AM

50,135 posts, read 46,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Many Latinos don't talk to cops. It makes policing very difficult, so cities adopted Sanctuary City policy, so the cops and citizens will talk and it helps the cops and it makes the neighborhood safer. Not to mention, many cops are not trained nor do they want to be immigration police.

This is why Sanctuary City is necessary and it's working.

Until the Right comes in and try to F*** things up like they always do.

Ya, get raped and don't report it. Brilliant as usual.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,490,289 times
I think its more effective if we teach them when they MUST obey and comply with police, and when they do not have to. teaching them to simply NOT obey or comply or even 100% obedience/ compliance is not appropriate.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,411,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Actually it's true. For anyone. Don't talk to cops. Just comply. You might accidentally make your case worse and say something that could be used against you.
Complying is talking to them. Yes there are things you don't have to say but there are things you do.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 AM

39,024 posts, read 27,423,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Sometimes, I have to wonder if this so called civil rights groups really care about the people they claim to care about.

If they (the SJW types) really believe police brutality is an overwhelming problem, then how does asking Latinos not to cooperate with law enforcement would help them?!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 AM

24,296 posts, read 17,035,297 times
Is it just a notion that if you are not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to fear from the cops?

If the Latinos are not illegal and breaking the laws by selling drugs for example then what do they have to fear?

I like Police officers and when I see them I can't help but think they are working a very difficult job and I am thankful they are doing it to help keep us safe.

The people I have known in my past that hate cops have usually been in trouble with the law. I don't think they hated individual cops but they sure hated being caught.

The problem today is that kids are being raised to hate cops. They see them as the enemy not as potential friends of the community.

This activist group is just trying to drive a wedge between the people and the Police.
So if something happens on their street who are they going to call? The activists or 911 ?

Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,772,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I agree with this and am not an immigrant. I tell my (black) son the same thing. Just do whatever cops tell you do to but don't say anything except your name and that you want to call your parents or want a lawyer if they won't let you call your parents.

People have a right not to talk to police if they don't want to. They may get arrested but IMO it is better to get arrested, get a lawyer, then get out, versus talking to them and them putting crazy charges on your that you will have to fight to get dismissed or acquitted of.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,560,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, get raped and don't report it. Brilliant as usual.
Better to be raped than be both raped and deported. Given the binary choice, I know what I would choose. That is the whole premise of implementing Sanctuary City policy, which actually works when implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies