Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So the heck with Miranda rights?
I was referring to general interactions with police (non arrests), like when they ask for your name or ID, there are times when you do not have to comply, but you had better know your rights with this back to front, as not to make a mistake and get yourself in trouble, you can be sure police are going to know and use their rights to detain/ arrest if they can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Great idea Hermandad Mexicana.. just genius !

As more cities and counties add their voices to an anti-sanctuary movement, one civil rights group wants to fight back by taking an unusual tack – asking Latinos not to cooperate with law enforcement.

A decades-old activist organization, Hermandad Mexicana on Tuesday announced a statewide campaign of “non-violent, non-cooperation” with all police authorities.

Nativo Lopez, a long-time immigrant-rights advocate and an occasionally controversial figure, said to communities adopting an anti-sanctuary stance: “The public safety of Orange County cannot be preserved without our cooperation. To the degree that our families’ public safety is endangered, so will yours and that of the general public.”

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/04/24...alk-with-cops/

Just the typical arrogant, tribal mentality of their ethnic group. They think they should be above our immigration laws and rewarded for breaking them. Living in So. Calif. I lost all respect for them with this attitude. I know they aren't all that way but far too many are.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was referring to general interactions with police (non arrests), like when they ask for your name or ID, there are times when you do not have to comply, but you had better know your rights with this back to front, as not to make a mistake and get yourself in trouble, you can be sure police are going to know and use their rights to detain/ arrest if they can!
They know but will still insist you have to do something you do not. That causes mistrust.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:59 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Would you report the murder of your family if you were illegal? By what you're saying, you wouldn't. Yes it's sick that you say it's ok to get raped and not report it because you'd be afraid of deportation. In your eyes, sucking American benefits for free is more valuable then your own safety. Again, sick thinking.
Sanctuary city policies eliminate forcing people to choose between two equally unpalatable options in order to encourage cooperation with law enforcement as a matter of public policy.

No one said "its ok to get raped and not report it" so stop it with your histrionics. I merely pointed out that an illegal immigrant, when faced with the choice of reporting a crime and potentially being deported and not reporting a crime, has every incentive to choose the latter.

I am still waiting for that explanation as to when you are obliged to talk to the police.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Sometimes, I have to wonder if this so called civil rights groups really care about the people they claim to care about.

If they (the SJW types) really believe police brutality is an overwhelming problem, then how does asking Latinos not to cooperate with law enforcement would help them?!
They are hoping a few of their fellow Latinos will get killed and become a cause cé·lè·bre.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Sanctuary city policies eliminate forcing people to choose between two equally unpalatable options in order to encourage cooperation with law enforcement as a matter of public policy.

No one said "its ok to get raped and not report it" so stop it with your histrionics. I merely pointed out that an illegal immigrant, when faced with the choice of reporting a crime and potentially being deported and not reporting a crime, has every incentive to choose the latter.

I am still waiting for that explanation as to when you are obliged to talk to the police.
In non sanctuary cities how many illegals have been deported for reporting crimes ?

Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In non sanctuary cities how many illegals have been deported for reporting crimes ?
Here is an example from this year, but the bigger question is whether the policies have created an anti-immigrant perception that illegal immigrants will be deported if they contact the police. Houston reported a 42% drop in Latino crime reporting after new ICE policies were implemented. It has a disproportionate effect on crimes related to domestic violence because abusers threaten to report victims to ICE if they go to the police. Link.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:46 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, get raped and don't report it. Brilliant as usual.
Well the alternative is get raped, report it and get deported.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

Are you a US citizen? Doesn't sound like you are since you are so unfamiliar with the laws. You have to talk to them if they lawfully stop you and ask for ID or your name if you don't have any. If you refuse you will be detained until they find out who you are. That's a sure fire way of getting deported right there.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Well the alternative is get raped, report it and get deported.
Another one that thinks usurping benefits is more worth it than your own safety. Leftism is a definite metal illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies