Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:04 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup, the draft is over. You can thank them for it
Nah they weren't needed anyway, but a frank deforrest day would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Their low pay says otherwise.

Retired military officers are free to do as they please and often seek executive positions within an administration.
Police, firefighters and military personnel make good money.

And Trump’s nominee isn’t retired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that our founders did not intend for there to be a standing military, your statement is inaccurate.
No, it isn’t inaccurate. My point was spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Well..........heres a civilian who did a "bang up" job as secretary of Defense........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McNamara
Uhhh...we’ve only ever had civilian SecDefs...as it should be.

Frankly, McNamara was no worse than Rumsfeld.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:03 PM

1,768 posts, read 717,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This practice has gone on a bit too long, and it needs to stop.

And even in jobs where the position isn’t cabinet level, like the head of the CIA or National Security Advisor, there are plenty of qualified civilians to take those jobs. Our Founders meant for our military personnel to serve in a military capacity, not as politicians. We’re arent supposed to be politicizing the military or its officers. There’s already enough rank bureaucratic political infighting in the Pentagon as it is.

This isn’t just about Trump’s pick of Ronny Jackson for VA Affairs, but come on...there are no civilians qualified for that job? We’d never appoint a Flag Officer to be the SecDef, and for good reason.

Military officers need to take their behinds back to the Pentagon or back to the flagpole out in the field to serve with the troops. They shouldn’t be hiding out for years in Washington offices while hobnobbing with civilian politicians. This practice of putting them in political jobs needs to end.
You do realize that in the 20-30 years following WW2 the makeup of the congress and Senate had FAR FAR FAR more Veterans in it? It was something like 75% Military Vets.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
This obsession with having generals and admirals waiting on one like a servant is a well known phenomena called a 'military inferiority syndrome' which is sometimes accompanied by 'courage envy'. It can sometimes be accompanied by uncontrollable lying and insulting, a type of tourette but with lies. The onset of the syndrome is widely believed to originate as a form compensation for some perceived deficiency in it's early stages and can gradually worsen with age. There is no known treatment.

Some experts have suggested a link to bone spurs in one's youth. Studies are ongoing.
That's not what 'military inferiority syndrome', is at all.
You are uninformed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.70e6dc1ebd66

Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Former presidents hired ex-military. Heck, even presidents were ex-military. But it’s only a problem now that Trump is president.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 PM

1,704 posts, read 750,085 times
If I had conspired with a foreign adversarial government to win the presidential election, I would also probably conclude that a complete governmental takeover would be more easily facilitated with the appropriate military administrative appointments in place.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:39 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
There are some positions that I feel only Military or prior upper rank Military personnel are suited.
For example:
Secretary of the Navy.
Secretary of the Army.
Secretary of Defense .
Just a few examples. I don't think a civilian with 0 military experience is qualified to make any decisions in regard to a branch of military service.

While I feel prior service people are as human and as flawed as their civilian counterparts, I would never exclude an Admiral or a General from consideration for a cabinet position. As I said I would exclude civilians from some positions.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Former presidents hired ex-military. Heck, even presidents were ex-military. But it’s only a problem now that Trump is president.
They’re not nominating ex military. I’m talking about active duty officers.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:00 PM

Again people, I’m not talking about veterans.

I’m talking about Active Duty military officers.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
military service is not a disqualifier for any sort of job I think

sorry libs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies