Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Seriously, I know where public opinon is on this but its still happening.

You go into black neighborhoods you'll see it, this **** is put on their personal record.

How can we live in a country like this, why is this still happening? Is their no special interest to force this down the throats of our congressmen?
Why? why do you think? It is illegal,that is why. Should it be? Probably not, but as long as it is, the feds have every right to arrest anyone, regardless of who they are or where they live. Maybe you would be better off living in a country that allow pot. You have already indicated you can't live in a country that allows arrests for breaking the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 02:25 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why? why do you think? It is illegal,that is why. Should it be? Probably not, but as long as it is, the feds have every right to arrest anyone, regardless of who they are or where they live. Maybe you would be better off living in a country that allow pot. You have already indicated you can't live in a country that allows arrests for breaking the law?
where does the state get these rights?

please tell me? what besides power lets them get away with this?

They ruin lives (and more but I won't get off topic) and no where in the constitution of the rights of free man does it say a few people at the top can control the fate of everyone else.

Maybe congress should be locked up.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Why? Because of the Harrison Act of 1914, signed into law by progressive Democrat (and our only PhD president) Woodrow Wilson. Before that, marijuana was widely available and sold in pharmacy shops.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:

You go into black neighborhoods you'll see it, this **** is put on their personal record.

How can we live in a country like this, why is this still happening? Is their no special interest to force this down the throats of our congressmen?
No government has the right to tell me what I can eat,drink or smoke.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No government has the right to tell me what I can eat,drink or smoke.

If people have the 'right' to demand free health care for problems resulting from eating, drinking, or smoking, the gov't inevitably will claim the 'right' to tell them what they can consume.

If we have a welfare state, we WILL have a nanny state to go with it.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why? Because of the Harrison Act of 1914, signed into law by progressive Democrat (and our only PhD president) Woodrow Wilson. Before that, marijuana was widely available and sold in pharmacy shops.
Uh, read it and tell me where it talks about Pot....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris...cotics_Tax_Act

The Harrison Narcotics Tax Act (Ch. 1, 38 Stat. 785) was a United States federal law that regulated and taxed the production, importation, and distribution of opiates and coca products

This guy, first appointed by Hoover....and served forever...seems to have been the reason:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger

He did it for his job - since the booze was made legal again and he wanted to keep his dept.

"Prior to the end of alcohol prohibition, Anslinger had claimed that cannabis was not a problem, did not harm people, and "there is no more absurd fallacy" than the idea it makes people violent. His critics argue he shifted not due to objective evidence but self-interest due to the obsolescence of the Department of Prohibition he headed when alcohol prohibition ceased - campaigning for a new Prohibition against its use. Anslinger collected dubious anecdotes of marijuana causing crime and violence"

Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
S'uh money maker.

Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations never saw it, nor could factor it - krazy ekonomiks!
Money is a factor. The cannabis plant can be used for more than smoking. You can make paper from it, cloth, medicine.

In my opinion, the lumber companies are afraid of it, liquor companies are afraid, and the big pharma is afraid. It would be competition.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
So what?

The state has no right to control what people do to their own bodies.

It is against universal laws of humanity AND the constitution.
As long as society doesn’t have to pick up the tab for the users monumental stupidity when they turn into slobbering idiots for all the drug abuse.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Money is a factor. The cannabis plant can be used for more than smoking. You can make paper from it, cloth, medicine.

In my opinion, the lumber companies are afraid of it, liquor companies are afraid, and the big pharma is afraid. It would be competition.
Big pharma is not that powerful as most people assume they are. Consider that govt cracked down hard on their opioid drugs, and this was at a time when doctors were writing scripts for them left and right, opioids were flying off the shelves, addicts were willing to pay ABOVE the retail price to get the drugs...all this and the pharma industry just sits by while Govt/ DEA create laws that will make these drugs almost impossible to get? Seems like a pretty weak industry to me!

Old 04-27-2018, 06:38 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:

We've been trying to get this point across to Congress and the government since the 60s, but they've been too busy waging war and legislating behavior to listen or care.

In 15 years, it will be legal everywhere, and the teetotalers can go back to bashing alcohol or find themselves a new bogeyman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies