Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 12:10 PM

39,368 posts, read 27,753,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The problem is that people who are truly minorities (like 5 black people in a town of 5000), can be refused accommodation, and the business won't lose market share. Especially if it's the one gas station in town, and it's supplying fuel to the community. This kind of thing did happen before laws were passed to prevent it. And your insistence that it wouldn't happen is nonsensical in that we know these things happened before.
That is a very extreme example, first of all. but let's say such a community exists, The five black men's life would be miserable anyway. Talking about the 60s.

Society has moved on, Key fact number one. Today we have technology and social media. Today overwhelming majority of the people are moderate and overwhelming majority of the people are not "racists". People's minds are certainly not as the same as the "good old days." Today, it is all about global market. It cost more money to be "prejudice."

Generally speaking, the free market will eventually resolve discrimination in the marketplace because it cost more money to be prejudice.\

Like I said earlier,

I believe that banning discrimination is both ineffective and counterproductive. Racists can still be racist, they just have to hide it a bit - and not even very much. Meanwhile, if an anti-discrimination law means that members of a particular group pose an additional legal risk to do business with, that law creates an artificial but rational reason to discriminate against that group. If it’s harder to fire black people than white people, an employer has an incentive not to hire black people. Furthermore, the fact that someone’s words could be used against them in a discrimination claim has a chilling effect on our ability to openly discuss race, gender and other dimensions along which discrimination is banned.

As Louis Brandeis said, “sunshine is the best disinfectant”.

Only free market (true free market) will reduce or possibly eliminate discrimination in workplace or public places.

You don't want to do business with me because of my mixed heritage? There are a lot of people who want my business. I won't suffer much in such a society or marketplace, you probably will. In a lot of ways, free market rules. But we don't have a free market society, and we probably never will.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-26-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:12 PM

14,081 posts, read 5,692,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The problem is that people who are truly minorities (like 5 black people in a town of 5000), can be refused accommodation, and the business won't lose market share. Especially if it's the one gas station in town, and it's supplying fuel to the community. This kind of thing did happen before laws were passed to prevent it. And your insistence that it wouldn't happen is nonsensical in that we know these things happened before.
I am not saying discrimination wouldn't happen. I am saying the free market can and would remedy the situation faster and more effectively than the government could ever hope to, and without resorting to force.

It always does, when allowed to.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 PM

47,040 posts, read 26,150,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How do you know intent, and what does it matter?
You don't think this guy's actions indicate a pretty clear intent to get a confrontation going?

Quote:
A MAGA hat is a mainstream symbol...
So was a Viet Cong flag, back when, but I still maintain that anyone wearing one into a biker bar would have been trying to start trouble.

Quote:
So YOU dictate when, and where I can wear my hat???
In my drinking establishment? Yes I can. I can make the wearing of kilts and My Little Pony t-shirts obligatory, if I feel that's the sort of ambience that would attract the right clientele. (That's not supposed to be taken literally, either.)

Quote:
Would it be OK to wear a Hillary hat in a conservative area?
"Area" is a bit of a loaded term. In a public area? Of course it's OK. In whatever passes for a conservative drinking establishment? The owner is perfectly within his rights to say "Drink elsewhere or take off the hat."

Quote:
You are WAY out of line from a freedom of speech, and freedom of expression viewpoint to the point of absurdity. This ain't Denmark.
And so today we learnt that restaurant dress codes are a First Amendment issue. Absurdity, indeed.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
suppose he wore the hat to cover a physical deformity such as a pin-head?
An interesting hypothetical. That one goes to the courts.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:19 PM

51,692 posts, read 25,966,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I am not saying discrimination wouldn't happen. I am saying the free market can and would remedy the situation faster and more effectively than the government could ever hope to, and without resorting to force.

No it doesn't.

Without the Civil Rights movement and the change in the laws, we would still have "colored" drinking fountains and restaurants that wouldn't serve certain people and hotels that ...

Even the stores the stopped discriminating did it in response to the Civil Rights movement, not because their customers demanded they stop discriminating.

In fact, I'd bet good money that many customers threatened to quit patronizing stores that allowed "those people" in.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:19 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,778,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not that I want to accommodate the the clip/magazine crowd, but those are machine guns.
As defined an assault rifle, in the 1934 Firearms Act.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:22 PM

39,368 posts, read 27,753,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

America has never allowed true free market. Maybe HK is an example, maybe. I do agree with your posts in this thread. Excellent posts.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM

51,692 posts, read 25,966,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actually doll face (because if I'm accused of having privilege, I'm damn well gonna use it). IF politics is grounds for non-service everything is open season.

Further dunno where you live, but there's plenty women ejected from bars, for various reasons. I've seen them ejected for attempting to perform oral sex in the men's bathroom on an unwilling participant,
Where is this place where loose women perform oral sex on unwilling participants?

Asking for a friend.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As defined an assault rifle, in the 1934 Firearms Act.
Oh, that was the angle. A quibble over a legal definition.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:25 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,778,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
No it doesn't.

Without the Civil Rights movement and the change in the laws, we would still have "colored" drinking fountains and restaurants that wouldn't serve certain people and hotels that ...

Even the stores the stopped discriminating did it in response to the Civil Rights movement, not because their customers demanded they stop discriminating.

In fact, I'd bet good money that many customers threatened to quit patronizing stores that allowed "those people" in.

Republicans that ended Democrat Jim Crow, for black Americans, are seeing Jim Crow enforced against them, by the Democrats, with the help of Black Americans....

Politics is downstream from culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies