Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times

Advertisements

hell yeah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 06:38 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
The biggest opied supplier in my area is Kaiser Perminente. Just sayin'

Old 04-26-2018, 07:39 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
We've been in Afghanistan since 2001. We coulda blown Al Queda and the Taliban to Pluto by now. However, we're still there, 16 years later. The question is, why? One theory is that the government is REALLY there for the opium in Afghanistan and is trafficking it to the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/w...n-helmand.html

https://mediaroots.org/opium-what-af...-really-about/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/afghani...ivation-jumps/

Seems that there was LESS opium there when the Taliban ran it than with our puppet government:

U.N.: Afghanistan Nearly Doubles Opium Production in One Year
Oh for cryin out loud....NO!!!!

Why in the hell does no one ever take responsibilty for their own actions these days? Overdosing on pain meds is a PERSONAL CHOICE!!! The Government is not forcing anyone to overdose on these drugs. People have a choice, if they chose to be irresponsible, that is on them!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
First, it's not a crisis that individuals are choosing to be drug addicts. It's chlorine tablets in the gene pool.

Second, while I am normally happy to blame government for everything just by reflex, no, the government is not to blame for people liking the way opioids make them feel so much that they gobble them like tic tacs. A nation of busybodies, is however responsible for treating a perfectly useful drug as if it were the downfall of society.

Last, if government has any blame in the "crisis" it's providing survival and safety benefits to drug addicts whose only contribution to their fellow man is being drug addicts. Government should get out of that game and let the apple hang or fall from the tree as its own strength and weakness dictates.

PSA on the effectiveness of opioids, even if some folks with busted wiring in their heads choose to abuse them - my sister died from multiple aggressive sarcoma in her chest. The last year of her life was spent using a bucket load of opioids to take her agonizing pain from a 10 to about 6-7 so she could sit in a chair without crying hysterically from pain. During that year, she was treated like a drug addict because a nation of busybodies is so concerned with what derelict drug addicts are doing, they decided people in legit pain should be treated like derelict drug addicts. So she had periods where prescriptions would be running out, and she'd have to endure up to two weeks of pain being back at 10 while faceless bureaucrats in the medical system reviewed her case to see if tumors busting through her chest wall was the reason she was taking those opioids, or was she just a drug addict.

If drug addicts want to snort freaking oxy off the countertop, WTF cares? Why does my cancer riddled sister have to be treated like a drug addict and denied that which can make her pain remotely tolerable, just because some trailer park junkie got their hands on something illegally?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I agree with Volobjectitarian.

I'll note that people who recreationally use these drugs chose to do so and they take the risk of getting addicted.

People who have chronic pain, especially people with terminal illnesses, I do believe they are harrassed and chastised more because so many people in our society are doing too much about the "opiod epidemic."

I agree with much of the post above and base that on the fact that crack addicts when I were a kid were not treated as well as these new heroin/opiod addicts are being treated. They were thrown in jail. Their lives were not saved by free naloxolene (or whatever that drug is, can't remember) so they could go out and get high again and overdose again - they were allowed to die.

Due to me growing up very much impacted by the crack epidemic, this opiod epidemic and the subsequent care/concern and general niceness extended to basically criminals - since using these drugs are indeed a crime - it is pretty upsetting to me.

IMO the best thing to do would be to let it run its course like it did in black and Latino communities back in the day. It taught me and many members of my generation to NEVER do hard drugs ever unless you wanted to end up dead or in prison or some sort of horrible circumstance and you didn't want to do to your family what the addict in your family had done to you by their actions/addictions.

I feel for these people but it is silly IMO to give all this assistance. It doesn't seem to be working. Letting the addiction run its course and letting those who are severe users or just who chose to do stuff like this today (as most people today actually did chose to use it recreationally and didn't get it from the doctor). They need to come to a decision themselves to get off and get help. All these government programs aren't going to do anything IMO as this is a personal demon. My dad was an addict for many years and got clean and has been clean about 27 years now. It is possible, but the person needs to want to get off drugs. Once that desire is there, I can agree to offering treatment for free but they need to come to that decision themselves.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 04-26-2018 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 10:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
That's just a new version of old Soviet-Era Propaganda: saying the CIA smuggling drugs into the US and selling it to the black community so as to fund their off-budget endeavours.
Except that anyone can see this actually happening...think about it, ENOUGH drugs enter the US CONSISTENTLY, enough to cause numerous cities and states to declare major heroin epidemics...so lots of drugs come in consistently, enough to keep the entire nation supplied!

Im sorry, but this does not all happen under the radar!

In order to keep the war on drugs going, (keep getting the big budgets to wage it), there must be a steady flow of drugs coming in...its really that simple.

BTW, its not some crazy conspiracy theory that the Govt was involved in drug trafficking in the past, it has been proven and documented, CIA even admitted they used drug profits to fund the Contras in the 80s, if they did this back then, its pretty good bet they are just as involved today and using the profits for something.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Was the government responsible for the crack epidemic?

If so, then yes they’re responsible for the opioid crisis. If not, then no the government isn’t responsible for the opioid crisis. What’s fair is fair.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:17 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I fall on the side of personal responsibility and choice for adults. I think all "illegal" drugs should be legalized.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
We live in a culture that treats symptoms instead of the problem. Doctors prescribe pain killers because they cannot, cut or burn the problem away. The AMA is woefully incapable of doing much of anything, so they prescribe, prescribe, prescribe. The best thing that could happen, which would end the problem, would be for people to turn to natural health remedies. But they have been SO BRAINWASHED to believe that only a doctor can "MAKE THEM WELL", that they are loathe to accept any other methods. Pity.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Those who choose drugs get their opioids from the medicine chest, true, but also from friends who sell all types of pills obtained illegally....from other drug dealers.

Once hooked many quickly turn to heroin as it is so much cheaper on the street than pills, which is combined with who knows what to cut it...ie Fentanyl. Hence the many ODs and need for Narcan to reverse effects of the overdose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies