Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 04:20 AM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
This kid was starting trouble but the teacher played right in to his hands.
She clearly assigned a highly partisan assignment and the school has a policy that you can't do that. This is 100% on her for violating school policy. I will also bet you money that she didn't have an assignment titled "Obama's many lies."

If she were smart and not hyper-partisan, she could have assigned a topic on "the current immigration debate" or "the NAFTA debate" (topics that better fits a Spanish class) and assigned a variety of articles from different sides and had the kids find their own. Trump's faults would have naturally come up in the conversation.

It is sad to see liberals on this thread, not so much you, be anti-liberal. Liberal education use to mean being well rounded in looking at multiple sources and seeing perspectives - while legitimately discussing the merits. MSNBC spins as much as FoxNews does, will she ban that source too. Can you name a news source that doesn't spin to some degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The people who accept lies from their own party, but demand honesty from the opposing party are most responsible for the collapse of this country.

Both parties know that they can largely get away with lies, because of these people.

With that said, the teacher is being too partisan and could easily make an assignment that covers material that encourages an actual discussion instead of berating students.
So very true.. We get what we accept. When you accept dishonesty from your own party and call it support, you give license to abuse.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
She clearly assigned a highly partisan assignment and the school has a policy that you can't do that. This is 100% on her for violating school policy. I will also bet you money that she didn't have an assignment titled "Obama's many lies."

If she were smart and not hyper-partisan, she could have assigned a topic on "the current immigration debate" or "the NAFTA debate" (topics that better fits a Spanish class) and assigned a variety of articles from different sides and had the kids find their own. Trump's faults would have naturally come up in the conversation.

It is sad to see liberals on this thread, not so much you, be anti-liberal. Liberal education use to mean being well rounded in looking at multiple sources and seeing perspectives - while legitimately discussing the merits. MSNBC spins as much as FoxNews does, will she ban that source too. Can you name a news source that doesn't spin to some degree?
Well besides the fact that in many respects I am probably the least liberal(in the leftist sense) person in this thread, I agree with most of what you've said. I say the kid was being a troublemaker though because of this quote here:

"his son was given the assignment after the teacher rejected — and reportedly ridiculed — his translation of a Fox News article for class on March 20. "

I'm guessing this teacher's extreme partisanship has shone through before in this class and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't choose to translate a Fox News story specifically to get her all riled up. I think he got the reaction he was looking for here, but like I said she played in to his hands. At the end of the day she's supposed to be the adult in the room. I'm not so much defending the teacher as I am pointing out that I'm on to what the kid was up to.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:31 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This is really messed up!

I can't believe this kid's father and the adults here CONTINUE to IGNORE the LIES that spew forth from Trump's mouth.
People ignore Trumps lies about like Obama supporters ignored Obama's lies. Hardliners are like that. They are more than happy to call out the opposition and equally energetic in explaining and excusing their own party's dishonesty.

So tell me were you equally aggressive towards Obama's and Hillary's lies?

Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Poor righties. Always the victim. It's so unfair.
Those leftist marxist have their way of brainwashing anyone who believes in the First Amendment, the Second Amendment and the Rule of Law. Nothing knew. OrwellIan tactics are what the progressIves strive for. It is no secret.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
A government entity, cannot restrict the 1st amendment. A private school, yes.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:44 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Trump is a notorious liar
What lies are those? Be specific.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:19 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What lies are those? Be specific.
Question has been asked and answered countless times. Not sure what the difficulty is.

For example, yesterday on Fox & Friends, Trump said he never watched CNN. Next sentence was about how he watched CNN.

Says North Korea has "agreed to denuclearization." Nope.

"James Comey Memos just out and show clearly that there was NO COLLUSION and NO OBSTRUCTION." Nope.

EPA administrator Scott Pruitt's short-term rental "was about market rate." Nope. Nowhere near.

Donald Trump's file | PolitiFact

There have been numerous CD threads about Trump's lies you may be interested in. I believe there is one open right now.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, look at the 'bright' side, the kid's being prepared for how college will be like.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/8th-...47.html?exp=vv
More than the "bright side" is the reality.

Better that kids find out early that the government lies and Fox is fake news. It's a real bummer to get to college and discover that all the patriotic bs you have shoved down your throat for your childhood years is just a bunch of mythological lies.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Interesting that folks are up in arms over a teacher pointing out that Fox News promotes lies and she wants the truth told in the classroom.

We all know Fox New promotes lies. I believe Seth Rich's family is suing them for the lies they told about him.

Not only the pundits they promote, but the Fox News folks themselves lie. Hannity lies constantly.

They've been doing this for years.

All Pants on Fire! statements involving FOX | PunditFact

Is this surprising news to anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies