Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I find it hard to imagine the legislative branch can remove the powers of the executive branch.

If this passes, it could, and should be challenged in court.

Lets wait and see what happens with this bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
There's already precedent for laws prohibiting the president from arbitrarily firing anyone in the executive branch -- that's what the Civil Service laws do. A civil servant can't just be fired, there are hearings and procedure and so on. The Mueller bill is the same, he can't be removed without cause.

McConnell will kill the bill I'm sure.
stburr is right, the special council was appointed by the executive branch, which trump has jurisdiction over. and as noted while trump cannot fire civil service employees, appointments are NOT civil service, thus this bill is a power grab by the congress. but if it passes, trump can still veto the bill, forcing it back to congress, who would then have to garner 67% of both houses to override the veto, and that likely wont happen. but lets say it does, then it will wend its way through the courts, and the scotus will likely kill it as being unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Recently I heard Mitch McConnell interviewed. He said that he would not bring this bill up for a vote because he's 100% convinced that Trump is not going to fire Mueller, making the bill unnecessary and a waste of time.

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
I also doubt that a veto-proof vote will be obtained. But think of the risk Trump would take if he did veto it. If he did, and then fired Mueller, I think it would spell impeachment for Trump.

It seems to me, although I don't know all the details, that protecting a special counsel from being fired by the president is important for the future. If we have presidents in the future that need to be investigated, it would seem like a good idea not to have to face the possibility of another "Saturday Night Massacre."

Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Exactly. For anyone who remembers basic civics this is the stupidest, most idiotic, illegal action undertaken by these deep state, N.W.O., communist traitors in a while.

And that's saying a lot now days.

These people are complete traitors to the U.S. Government, whoever voted for this. Totally illegal.

This government is totally rogue and illegitimate. All's you have to do is follow the news cycle now to see that.
I don’t remember your so-called “NWO” being discussed in “basic civics”. Care to enlighten (((us)))?

Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I realize that most people do not understand this, but authority originates in the legislative branch, it is then delegated to the executive branch to carry out. The congress has the power of the purse strings.

The office of Attorney General was created by congress, the Justice Department was created many decades later by congress and put under the control of the Attorney General.

The president nominates cabinet members, but the senate hires them or rejects them.

The constitution also gives the power to 'inhibit' the executive if they find a suitable reason, that is also what impeachment means.

The executive can not over-ride the congress, but the congress can and sometimes does over-ride the executive. In this way the relationship can be like the one in business, there is the Chief Operating Officer/Chief Executive/Boss, and the Board of Directors which represents the investors (owners). There have been examples of even the founders of companies being fired by their boards, even with their own name still over the door.

When the president announces a budget proposal or budget 'blueprint', it is a suggestion. Congress can completely ignore it if they wish, although they will normally try to see if they can match it. The congress has even in the past at times 'forced' the executive to spend money it didn't want to spend. The two examples I can think of off the top of my head both involve the Pentagon.

Tremendous power rests in the legislative branch of government, and this is what makes our government a republic. It does not seem so powerful to us ordinarily because so many community representatives are involved and they must reach some kind of consensus to pass legislation. Often the president will lobby hard for legislation he favors, but he can not control the vote. All of the haggling involved makes the legislative branch appear to be less powerful, but it is full of tremendous latent political power if it should choose to use it.
Except when they want documents from the F.B.I. and D.O.J. proving criminal conspiracy or getting anyone to do anything about said conspiracy.

You're not fooling anyone.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I also doubt that a veto-proof vote will be obtained. But think of the risk Trump would take if he did veto it. If he did, and then fired Mueller, I think it would spell impeachment for Trump.

It seems to me, although I don't know all the details, that protecting a special counsel from being fired by the president is important for the future. If we have presidents in the future that need to be investigated, it would seem like a good idea not to have to face the possibility of another "Saturday Night Massacre."
the problem that congress has is that trump has NEVER said he wanted to fire mueller, in fact he has supported muellers investigation.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:47 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,160,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
These people are complete traitors to the U.S. Government, whoever voted for this. Totally illegal.
I suggest you relax, take a deep breath, and read Post No. 12. Hesychios wrote an excellent summary of why and how the Constitution provides Congress with the authority to limit Trump's power to fire Mueller.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:51 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Trump should fire Mueller then sign the bill the very next day.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:51 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
This thread proves yet again that leftists either do not care about or know nothing about the constitution.
More importantly they would be on the opposite side of the issue if it were a (D) president being hounded for over a year on a made up story from his political opponents.
This whole thing is going t turn out to be a dog & pony show, but as long as it is against an (R), the liberals want it to play for as long as possible.

`

Old 04-26-2018, 02:53 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
No one deserves special protection. It makes equal justice a mockery. No wonder the congress is rated so low. Apparently they have no respect for the constitution.
If they can give special protection they can just as easily take away equal protection.

No, what makes a mockery of justice is for an investigation to be undermined by a man who thinks HE is above the law. If this had happened during Watergate, Nixon would never have been found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies