Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 AM

88 posts, read 50,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I like Toyota vehicles but I’m NOT buying anything made in Mississippi. I might as well buy a car made in Bangladesh.
It's a large Nissan manufacturing facility there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just curious-where's he going to school? Not many actual engineering co-ops around. U of Cincinnati and Kettering are the only ones I know.
The university ranked as number one for Industrial Engineering. Georgia Tech.

https://www.coe.gatech.edu/co-opinternship

This was a few years back. He HATED it. Changed his major.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The university ranked as number one for Industrial Engineering. Georgia Tech.

https://www.coe.gatech.edu/co-opinternship

This was a few years back. He HATED it. Changed his major.
Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't realize GA Tech had a formal co-op program.

I can understand getting bored with IE. Doing time studies and line balancing isn't the most enjoyable way of earning a living.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't realize GA Tech had a formal co-op program.

I can understand getting bored with IE. Doing time studies and line balancing isn't the most enjoyable way of earning a living.
In all honesty, I think the courses were less the problem -- the co-op job opened his eyes wide. He just couldn't see himself in that kind of environment.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In all honesty, I think the courses were less the problem -- the co-op job opened his eyes wide. He just couldn't see himself in that kind of environment.
I'm not sure how GE "structures" their engineering operations. At GM, we had "manufacturing" engineers and "industrial" engineers. The IEs were mostly concerned with human factors, basically what operations does each operator have to do, and balancing the workload over all operators. And then how to adjust those loads as production increased/decreased. Manufacturing engineers were focused on the equipment design and function. What tooling and equipment was required to make a new product, what needed to be added or adapted due to increases in production, making that equipment function better/faster/more reliably and keeping it all running.

"Eye opening" is one of the most important functions of a co-op program. At least you'll have an idea what you will actually be doing after investing the effort and money in a degree.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:

GA Tech is one of the shining stars in the New South ...it shows up in the top 10, which is a real rarity (in general) of Southern Schools (outside of Texas or VA.)

Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
GA Tech is one of the shining stars in the New South ...it shows up in the top 10, which is a real rarity (in general) of Southern Schools (outside of Texas or VA.)
I know-they are a highly respected university in their engineering and sciences programs. We sell a fair amount of equipment to them, I've worked with several customers from their in their physics and materials science programs. U of Florida has a good program as well, as does Loyola and Clemson.

The south is pretty much the new manufacturing mecca of the US. I grew up in the "rust belt"-which was well named. Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, Cleveland, most of NJ...mile after mile of abandoned, rusted out and collapsing factories and warehouses. Travel most anywhere in the SE and factories are being built and expanding seemingly everywhere. Most international automakers have plants in the SE. Many aerospace companies do. As well as a lot of other diverse manufacturing. FL, GA, AL and most of the east coast up to the Carolinas are booming (relatively speaking at least) these days. Not at all like the rust belt.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So Duke, Vanderbilt, UVA, Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, UNC, etc aren't good schools?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Cool Toyota creating hundreds of jobs with Mississippi plant expansion

Excellent!

Good paying jobs with a good company.

Toyota makes a good product. I've owned a couple of Toyotas over the years and they've been great.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:42 AM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
I know-they are a highly respected university in their engineering and sciences programs. We sell a fair amount of equipment to them, I've worked with several customers from their in their physics and materials science programs. U of Florida has a good program as well, as does Loyola and Clemson.

The south is pretty much the new manufacturing mecca of the US. I grew up in the "rust belt"-which was well named. Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, Cleveland, most of NJ...mile after mile of abandoned, rusted out and collapsing factories and warehouses. Travel most anywhere in the SE and factories are being built and expanding seemingly everywhere. Most international automakers have plants in the SE. Many aerospace companies do. As well as a lot of other diverse manufacturing. FL, GA, AL and most of the east coast up to the Carolinas are booming (relatively speaking at least) these days. Not at all like the rust belt.
Manufacturers go to wherever they can rape Labor without restriction: China, Mexico, the Third World parts of America, etc.

The Rust Belt is the way it is because too many ordinary people expect to be treated like actual human beings at work. And that’s probably going to be true until a new generation of willing slaves is born in the Rust Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies