Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:11 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's all you got? LMAO ...
Sorry, I am not a little child who has to get the last word in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Thumbs up The group behind the t-shirt runs k12speech.com for students who want to know their rights in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCSD Dress code
No sexual overtones, or anything that promotes weapons, alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gang membership, or violence
Since YOU are going with "promotes violence", explain how this particular shirt promotes violence........ be specific,
Apparently school policy allows shirts which have words related to guns on them, but only when the message is anti-gun, making the phrase "...anything that promotes weapons..." a legitimate first amendment issue.

The group which produced the shirt runs "K12Speech.com" a website for students who want to know what their rights are while in school: https://www.firearmspolicy.org/fpf_f...n_k_12_schools

For reference, here is the shirt in question:

Old 04-29-2018, 02:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Apparently school policy allows shirts which have words related to guns on them, but only when the message is anti-gun, making the phrase "...anything that promotes weapons..." a legitimate first amendment issue.
Apparently?

Is this just something you heard from Fox News, or do you have a link to back this up?

And my link, I mean a link to a legitimate source.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correct. If a school allows hijabs, it must also allow all other religious apparel.
And this shirt does not fall under religious apparel.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:45 PM

34 posts, read 29,021 times
Quote:
Most adults can't carry guns at school. Usually codified at the state law level. If you can show me where a state law says a student cannot wear clothing depicting US Constitutional Rights, post it.
State law has no bearing on the school's dress code.

All the rhetoric about "rights" is pointless since most school aged kids aren't old enough to have all the rights of an adult.

There's no hope of him winning this lawsuit.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 PM

Post Lawsuit is "Guardanapo v. Washoe County School District"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Apparently?
Is this just something you heard from Fox News, or do you have a link to back this up?
And my link, I mean a link to a legitimate source.
That's what I love about your side -- you immediately decide that anybody who disagrees with you must have been brainwashed by Fox News. Just for that, I'm not giving you a link, you've got to work for it.

The sentence in question reads "No sexual overtones, or anything that promotes weapons, alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gang membership, or violence"

Google the Kendyl Depoali Middle School dress code for yourself, or read his lawsuit, Guardanapo v. Washoe County School District et al. I'll even help you out with a relevant snippet from the initial filing:

Note the references both to Tinker and the more recent (and directly relevant) Newsom v. Albemarle County School Board

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-29-2018 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Tinker

Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
That's what I love about your side -- you immediately decide that anybody who disagrees with you must have been brainwashed by Fox News. Just for that, I'm not giving you a link, you've got to work for it.
So you have no proof that the school allowed anti-gun shirts, it was just something you made up. That's what I figured.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM

Unhappy Maybe most school aged kids aren't old enough to have all the rights of an adult, but they do have rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So you have no proof that the school allowed anti-gun shirts, it was just something you made up. That's what I figured.
See the word "promotes" in the dress code, quoted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Foot View Post
All the rhetoric about "rights" is pointless since most school aged kids aren't old enough to have all the rights of an adult.
See Newsom v. Albemarle County School Board. Newsom, a sixth grader at Jack Jouett Middle School, won a very similar lawsuit (and $150K) back in 2004. Newsom's lawsuit was backed by both the NRA and the state ACLU chapter.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:03 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Foot View Post

See Newsom v. Albemarle County School Board. Newsom, a sixth grader at Jack Jouett Middle School, won a very similar lawsuit (and $150K) back in 2004. Newsom's lawsuit was backed by both the NRA and the state ACLU chapter.
100% correct. And I'm stunned, simply stunned, that some people are under the impression that minors don't have Constitutional Rights. /SMH

Old 04-30-2018, 06:00 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
100% correct. And I'm stunned, simply stunned, that some people are under the impression that minors don't have Constitutional Rights. /SMH
So, the left shows its hypocrisy AGAIN.

An under 18 year old does NOT have Constitutional rights in regard the 1st and 2nd amendments when it comes to guns BUT HAS Constitutional rights when it come to abortion.

"If you're under 18, you may or may not have to tell a parent in order to get an abortion — it all depends on the laws where you live. "

"
California

No parental involvement requirement."

"

Connecticut

No parental involvement requirement."

All state are listed here, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/le...ification-laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies