Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

this travesty is what happens when the State and not the parents has the legal right to make the decisions for parents' children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:32 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Insurance companies also have death panels... And at at this rate, private insurance companies in the US kills thousands upon thousand of innocent Americans each year in the name of profit.

A truly evil, unchristian system!
This. Profit before patient care is the American way, and we celebrate it as good old American capitalism at its finest.

And you will also not see any of the posters, who are inconsolable over the death of a child who had no prospects of a life, displaying the same level of compassion for the millions of living, breathing Americans who have been left behind to die in red states who refused to expand Medicaid to cover them. Those people can suffer and succumb to preventable, curable, treatable diseases and conditions for all they care, and that's absolutely fine with them.

But a brain dead child who had no hope of getting better garners all kinds of crocodile tears. The hypocrisy is astounding, but given what I have read on this board over the years, not surprising.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Exactly.

People think this is a medical care issue It's not.

It's a PARENTAL RIGHTS issue.

And in this case, the parents had NO RIGHTS. The child was held hostage, by force, and the parents were forced to watch him die.

People need to see this for what it really is.

Gov't control of a child usurping parental natural born rights.
Yup. Now and then, the government make an arbitrary and terrible decision just to let you know it’s in charge. The English democracy is a fake one. Just look at how long ago they voted for Brexit and the government has ignored them.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:07 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yup. Now and then, the government make an arbitrary and terrible decision just to let you know it’s in charge. The English democracy is a fake one. Just look at how long ago they voted for Brexit and the government has ignored them.
Brexit is still happening, but it's a complex issue that is going to take some years to complete. Or did you think it was just a matter of counting the votes and saying, "That's it, we're out!" and it was all over?

Yeah, you probably did.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:43 PM

712 posts, read 555,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
When a hospital keeps a parent from having custody of their own child through coercion ... guess what that makes the parents? Slaves. They have no rights to their OWN CHILD. By force.
I agree 100% with this. I still feel they murdered this baby. They removed all feeding and killed him. Took it completely out of the parents hands. Just heartbreaking.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:08 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This. Profit before patient care is the American way, and we celebrate it as good old American capitalism at its finest.

And you will also not see any of the posters, who are inconsolable over the death of a child who had no prospects of a life, displaying the same level of compassion for the millions of living, breathing Americans who have been left behind to die in red states who refused to expand Medicaid to cover them. Those people can suffer and succumb to preventable, curable, treatable diseases and conditions for all they care, and that's absolutely fine with them.

But a brain dead child who had no hope of getting better garners all kinds of crocodile tears. The hypocrisy is astounding, but given what I have read on this board over the years, not surprising.
They are 2 different issues.

ONe is about the cost of care in the US.

The other is about the govt keeping a child hostage from his parents.

One is a financial issue., the other is govt becoing a PARENT and dumping the parents to the curb, usurping their natural-born rights as parents and telling the parents NO you CANNOT HAVE YOUR CHILD.

Very VERY VERY different issues.

The next time the govt holds your child hostage, refuses to let you take him home? Let us know how that compares with how much an xray costs.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:12 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
NHS was worried Alfie might actually improve in Italy. How embarrassing. It's mindboggling that this wouldn't have cost the UK any money.

They also don't give improved cancer drugs to patients either. I think if you are over a certain age you are lucky if you get water.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:13 PM

1,705 posts, read 538,250 times
Pilgrim:

Stop spreading your delusional lies!

(I thought mods on this board moderated proven liars.. and maybe people who needs help to protect them from themselves)

The kids brain was liquefying because of genetic disease... next you probably think that the Vatican praying for the kid was going to help and the NHS did not want scientists to be proven wrong?

The NHS spends BILLIONS helping cancer patients getting the best care they can... meanwhile in the US tens of thousands dies each year because they can't afford cancer medicine.

Yeah.. I know which system is Moral and righteous!

Old 04-28-2018, 03:29 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I have had a very hard time even following this. I agree wholeheartedly that this child was murdered
No, he wasn't murdered!

His death was inevitable. There was no way he could be saved.

I fully understand his parent's desperation, as I have kids of my own, and I hope I am never in their place.

But prolonging the little tot's life by 10 to 14 days wasn't going to give them Alfie back.

He never was healthy. When he was born, his parents learned he would never live long enough to grow up. How much life is there in 10 more days of deep agony?

How much of what makes any life good would there be in those few days?

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I was faced in such a situation, I hope I could find a way to think of my child first, and place my emotions second to his. I know I would stick with him until all hope is gone.

But when all hope is gone and the body hasn't died just yet, what then? How much is 10 more days of writhing in pain worth? What good is there in allowing such pain to continue?

For anyone who has ever been in deepest pain, a minute more is like an hour. An hour is like a day. A day is like a week. That's very easy to forget for all those who aren't feeling the pain. Time goes by for them normally.

I think that if I forced my child to struggle on until his last breath, leaving this world in galloping agony, I would be much haunted for the rest of my own life.

No. Kill the pain as much as possible. Let him slip away in as much peace as possible, as quickly as possible.

That's what his parents finally accepted, and that's how Alfie died.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:50 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself twisting facts about a terminally ill boy to support a corrupt and greedy American insurance industry.

But then, when do Conservative slime ever have shame?
The facts seem to suggest that Alfie's parents were essentially placed in a state of arrest because they wanted to take their child somewhere else. Talk about having no shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies