Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:01 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,041,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I did not pretend anything was new so don't attribute views to me that are not mine. People have also been moving to avoid higher taxes for decades as well. I was agreeing with the poster calling out the hypocrisy.
Well, since you admit that there has always been an influx of people retiring to the south, then you also concede that absolutely nothing has changed in that regard due to this tax bill. People always retired to the warmer climes, and they continue to do so today, just like they always have.

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 06:02 PM

18,431 posts, read 15,184,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
There have been northern transplant retirees moving south and southwest in great numbers for decades now. Heck, parts of Arizona are almost entirely made up of retirees from other places. You pretending this is a sudden and new phenomenon is a crock. But you already know that.
Personally, I wasn’t talking about the retirees. I was talking about all of the working age people from NJ who have made a mass exodus for primarily North Carolina, as well as other states to the south for a lower cost of living. I have been seeing it for years. I personally know quite a few. Many of these people are democrats, which always struck me as ironic.

It’s a free country, and as I said, hypocrisy isn’t illegal.

Before you know it, North Carolina is going to have decent pizza and bagels....

...along with higher taxes.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:04 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,796,146 times
Quote:
Well, since you admit that there has always been an influx of people retiring to the south, then you also concede that absolutely nothing has changed in that regard due to this tax bill. People always retired to the warmer climes, and they continue to do so today, just like they always have.

I agree.
You're right. Liberals who insist on higher taxes are hypocrites who relocate just as they always have been. No harm in trying to save a buck and it is a free country.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:11 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,184,004 times
Most people are not fleeing due to taxes. They are going to places with lower COL, primarily housing. Housing is outrageous in CA. I'd love it if there were truly a mass exodous due to the new tax law, fewer people would be wonderful but that's just not the case. People have been leaving after having children or during retirement for years because they either can't afford to stay or know that they can sell their house for a fortune, buy something for 1/2 the price elsewhere and have a bunch of extra cash for retirement.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:18 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,150,687 times
Quote:
They're not moving necessarily for tax purposes, they're moving for the climate. Just like they have been doing for many years now. I'm kind of surprised that this seems like a new concept to many of you.
While climate is a factor for some, high tax rates and high cost of living are the major reasons....talk to some!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:19 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,796,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Most people are not fleeing due to taxes. They are going to places with lower COL, primarily housing. Housing is outrageous in CA. I'd love it if there were truly a mass exodous due to the new tax law, fewer people would be wonderful but that's just not the case. People have been leaving after having children or during retirement for years because they either can't afford to stay or know that they can sell their house for a fortune, buy something for 1/2 the price elsewhere and have a bunch of extra cash for retirement.
If you have fewer people who own homes or are working you have a smaller tax base. They would have to raise your taxes higher to pay for all the programs and niceties. I am one who fled CA because of COL and taxes and increasingly liberal agenda.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:20 PM

20,794 posts, read 9,435,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yeah....great theory.

Except for one thing........

The people (like me), who move from high tax Blue States to low tax Red States, tend to be more conservative citizens who were fed up with the Blue States they moved out of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In 50 years perhaps, but in the interim, they will not change the political red pluralities of these states, just add electoral votes to Team Red.
As I already noted, this appears to already be happening in AZ, NV and perhaps even NC. So no, it won't happen in 50 years, it's already happening now. And there appears to be sufficient numbers of liberals doing the moving to make a difference in those 3 states.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:22 PM

57,059 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Personally, I wasn’t talking about the retirees. I was talking about all of the working age people from NJ who have made a mass exodus for primarily North Carolina, as well as other states to the south for a lower cost of living. I have been seeing it for years. I personally know quite a few. Many of these people are democrats, which always struck me as ironic.

It’s a free country, and as I said, hypocrisy isn’t illegal.

Before you know it, North Carolina is going to have decent pizza and bagels....

...along with higher taxes.
The article was lacking on how many and what percentage was young people relocating for new jobs, we need more than anecdotes. Who are these supposed young people moving to Fla for jobs.

If they want good bagels and pizza they will need to import some water.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:24 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,150,687 times
Quote:
There have been northern transplant retirees moving south and southwest in great numbers for decades now. Heck, parts of Arizona are almost entirely made up of retirees from other places. You pretending this is a sudden and new phenomenon is a crock. But you already know that.
High tax rates have been an issue for years. Hence, migration from high tax states has been going on for many years. Why? High taxes and a high cost of living....that's a hell of a combination and a lot of people are fed up!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:26 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
Looking at the top 15 highest SALT states, I don't see a damn thing that makes them a better place to live than there neighbors who have lower taxes. The only reason that I would live in such a place is employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies