Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 08:53 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Obama, on the other hand, is loved by all and it is well deserved.
You're delusional. Trump has a higher approval rating than Obama and you think everyone loved Obama? The most divisive president in generations?

Obama went to the correspondents dinners because the sycophants there couldn't say anything bad about him. Why would Trump go to dinner with the enemy, which is exactly what the media considers him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 08:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Other Presidents have missed

Reagan was recovering from being shot at.
Nixon missed three dinners
Carter missed two
But every president since Coolidge has gone to the White House Correspondents' Dinner at least once.
Okay ,I didn't realize.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:54 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
True, he could dish out the jokes as well as take them and that made it fun to watch, but Obama was loved by the media overall. He knew it was all fun and games and the jokes were just that, jokes. It was never meant to degrade him as a human being or President.
Exactly! If Obama and his administration took the media lumps everyday that the Trump administration has to take, I doubt they would have been enthusiastic about going to this dinner either. Did you see Sarah Huckabee Sanders? She looked like she was about to cry. Considering how awful people are about her and her looks all the time, I’m surprised she even went.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:54 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Trump is known for doing more impersonations than any President I've ever seen.
Even today he did an impersonation of a secret service agent that he'd spoken to recently.
Trump could easily do standup comedy and make a killing off of it.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:55 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Obama, on the other hand, is loved by all and it is well deserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZzw1QTy1w
I don't know that Obama is loved by all. Some on this forum would disagree with that.

But there is no way Trump could give a speech like this. Impossibility.

I doubt anyone would disagree with that.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:56 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
I could give 2 beans and actually think this is a farce - not what it started out to be. Here's an article from 2016. Read how much % actually has decreased as far as scholarships. With the amt of the tickets - then $3000 a table or $300 a ticket - and back in 2016 only $77,000 in scholarships was awarded to 18 students - these people are just indulging themselves - what a shame! Of course - since most of the public finds them unfavorable - they have to pat each other on the back for the "fine" job they aren't doing.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
It is nice to have a President in office that understands business, and the economy. His predecessor certainly did not.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
I saw some footage of the dinner, and I was amazed at how quiet the media was, hardly any applause, they looked depressed and ashamed.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Trump is known for doing more impersonations than any President I've ever seen.
Even today he did an impersonation of a secret service agent that he'd spoken to recently.
Trump could easily do standup comedy and make a killing off of it.
I think he does have a good sense of humor and is able to laugh at himself. His skits on Saturday Night Live were hilarious and he was a good sport about it.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's hard to believe some people are so hurt about this and when did liberals start caring about any traditions? Trump is HATED by those people. He's not just disliked and those "jokes" are not made with fun and jest in mind. No other President has been so hated by the media, not Bill Clinton or Bush and certainly not Obama who was their darling.
Why would any person subject himself to being degraded in such a manner by people that despise him?
You know, I didn't see much of it but I saw Michelle Wolf tell the press that they SAY that hate Trump but that they secretly LOVE Trump. He sells their newspapers and their television shows.

She also said that it was the press that basically gave us President Trump with their 24/7 coverage of him during the campaign.

I believe both Trump and the press have a love/hate relationship with one another.

Trump LOVES attention (even if it's negative attention) and the media LOVES ratings .. and so it continues. Trump LOVES railing at the press because his brand of power demands that he has a 'foe' to rail against now that Hillary is gone. The press LOVES it because they can then discuss it endlessly.

A symbiotic relationship if ever there was one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies