Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I just want to make this perfectly clear.

I was a line officer in the U.S. Navy on a combatant, - a destroyer. I never saw combat or was in a combat area or even served in a time when they gave out National Service decorations. I did 4 years, didn't fall down a ladder or in any other way, injure myself. It got out after 4 years of peacetime service. The closest thing to combat I saw was when a main steam line to a turbo-generator gave way. We went to GQ in the middle of the night, but nobody was hurt.

Since I wasn't wounded in combat, or injured in-service, I don't feel that it is the governments place to provide me free health care for life, and I dare say not to others in similar circumstances.

Combat wounded and service-related injuries are a whole different kettle of fish.

If the VA didn't spend so much $$$ serving people like me, the job of providing for those truly in need for "legitimate" needs would be easier and they could be more effective providing that care.

To me, Combat Related and Service-related are a whole different animal than those who served 4 or 6 years and then got out.

The Gravy Train is drowning America in debt.
My brother was in the navy for 6 years...........a few years ago he went to the va to see about signing up for medical care.........they said no. He had no service related injuries and was not in combat. I don't think you are correct in thinking all veterans get medical care through the VA.
Were you also aware that if you have any other insurance the VA bills them first for your care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:01 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
IMHO, only combat wounded and service-related injuries. Further, when a Vet gets a disability, say 80%, that should be revisited and adjusted as healing occurs. I know guys that are nearly 100% disabled (according to Uncle Sam) who also hold down full time, physically-demanding jobs and keep them until normal retirement age. Either you are disabled or you are not. If you are no longer disabled because of healing, the disability should be adjusted.
Being as nice as I can be ,I will agree to disagree..........X 10

Old 04-30-2018, 09:04 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem is that no one is being held accountable. the upper echelon of the VA admin is slacking and no one loses their jobs. in fact they can commit criminal acts, and just lose their jobs, and never see the inside of a prison cell, and never lose their license to practice medicine.
This is the problem with propaganda left wing media. It never reports good news. Good changes already have been made and more to come. Read and learn:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...eterans-first/

Old 04-30-2018, 09:11 PM

39,197 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
As a Vet myself, I feel VA Medical care should be available only to combat wounded or others hurt while on duty and only with regards to the injuries sustained on-duty. Just because I served for 4 years in the Canoe Club doesn't mean the taxpayers should be on the hook for my medical care for life. It's absurd.
I think I know what point you are trying to make. I cannot say you are right or wrong.

In my humble opinion, By separating veterans into groups where one gets this, and another does not get anything, weakens the voice of all veterans.

Let's say if one is in an IFV and somehow, the vehicle gets hit by a sniper round, does this person qualify for combat vet treatment? Certainly the person has no so called combat MOS, and he/she probably didn’t fire the weapon, can we then say that this person was not in real danger but only the vehicle was hit by hostile fire. Where do you draw the line? What sacrifices are enough?

Plus, if you really think about it, U.S. veterans with a disability rating get access to more complete medical care services.

Honorably-discharged U.S. veterans with no disability rating get some service-connected benefits at VA hospitals and a small points advantage for federal hiring, but they do enjoy VA home loans, education benefits, and job placement. Those who received the bad paper lost some if not all military benefits even if they have seen combat.

As for service-time danger, that is really not the purview of the VA. The Department of Defense gives danger pay when you are sent somewhere you could potentially end up the worse for wear, but the assumption is that when your military service ends, the need for danger pay also ends.

You sound like an honorable person and I very much respect your opinion. But I think in reality, military service members have no control of who goes where and how they get to go there. So I believe that every military veteran should be treated equally.

Plus, All vets should receive that which was promised. The question assumes that benefits such as health care, pension, commissary access, etc are rewards for valor and heroism. They’re not. These are part of the compensation package promised in return for service.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 PM

39,197 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
IMHO, only combat wounded and service-related injuries. Further, when a Vet gets a disability, say 80%, that should be revisited and adjusted as healing occurs. I know guys that are nearly 100% disabled (according to Uncle Sam) who also hold down full time, physically-demanding jobs and keep them until normal retirement age. Either you are disabled or you are not. If you are no longer disabled because of healing, the disability should be adjusted.
hmm, what is your definition of "healing"?

I am not asking this question to be mean. I certaily am not asking this question to start some kind of "fight".

I am genuinely curious about your answer.

My best friend Mike lost one arm on the battlefield. He can lift and he can hold a full time job with no problems at all. Just recently, he received a prosthetic arm and we all call him "Captain Hook." In your opinion, shoud his disability rating be revisited and adjusted? Where do you draw the line?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:47 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My brother was in the navy for 6 years...........a few years ago he went to the va to see about signing up for medical care.........they said no. He had no service related injuries and was not in combat. I don't think you are correct in thinking all veterans get medical care through the VA.
Were you also aware that if you have any other insurance the VA bills them first for your care?
Lots of people - most people, I suppose - think that the VA provides free healthcare for all Vets. Like you said, that's not true.

But whereas I, healthy and well insured, would be turned down, we have another poster who is being treated for injuries. And he goes straight to the front of the line. That's the way it ought to be.

What happens is, when we start getting older, we go to the VA for things like hearing aides. At my navy reunion, I was the only one there without hearing aides, and every single one of the guys had gone to the VA for them. The thing is, we did work in a noisy environment, but I don't really think the service caused all that hearing loss. 70 years of life did that. But the VA got the bill. Not fair, I say. VA should pay for service related injuries and problems, except for retirees.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Lots of people - most people, I suppose - think that the VA provides free healthcare for all Vets. Like you said, that's not true.

But whereas I, healthy and well insured, would be turned down, we have another poster who is being treated for injuries. And he goes straight to the front of the line. That's the way it ought to be.

What happens is, when we start getting older, we go to the VA for things like hearing aides. At my navy reunion, I was the only one there without hearing aides, and every single one of the guys had gone to the VA for them. The thing is, we did work in a noisy environment, but I don't really think the service caused all that hearing loss. 70 years of life did that. But the VA got the bill. Not fair, I say. VA should pay for service related injuries and problems, except for retirees.
Here's the problem I have with the LT's () position. I was Stationed at Moffett Field NAS for 16 yrs. The place has been declared a EPA super fund site and the rate of cancer among sailors that served there is through the roof.. Guys served there for 100yrs almost, many during peace time.the OP would deny them health care or benefits from he VAs . Same goes for the Mesothelioma....The LT served (maybe) on Adams class destroyers? Every time a gun fired on those things the asbestos dust would rain down. What would you say if you came down with that cancer 40 yrs after you served???

Old 05-01-2018, 06:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
As a Vet myself, I feel VA Medical care should be available only to combat wounded or others hurt while on duty and only with regards to the injuries sustained on-duty. Just because I served for 4 years in the Canoe Club doesn't mean the taxpayers should be on the hook for my medical care for life. It's absurd.

VA projects 20 million veterans will use VA Medical facilities.

https://www.va.gov/vetdata/docs/Quic...w_11_07_17.PDF

What percentage of them and their families were never based in a war zone or saw combat?

( husband is a Viet Nam War Vet and has never used a VA facility, once discharged)

Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Of course it can work. Unfortunately those we elect do not care enough about those they send off to return needing help.

It doesn't work because we refuse to hold "our politician" responsible for holding others responsible.
No one anticipated so many would rely on the VA for all healthcare needs unrelated to their service.

How is it possible that 20 million are projected to use lifetime VA benefits unrelated to in service medical conditions?

Old 05-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
there is a HUGE difference between those who served in, and were wounded in combat, or injured "on duty", and those who did 4 years and then out without a scratch. I suggest, however, as an alternate funding source, cutting down on Welfare.

800 +/- bases in 70 countries, most of which are not in combat zones.

Can you imagine a private sector job that provides for lifetime healthcare benefits unrelated to your employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies