Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Great article that breaks down why CA isn’t the paradise llberals make it out to be

To them, California remains the “harbinger” of “new America” and “the most active front” in the battle to exterminate Trumpism. Yet this enthusiasm should be curbed somewhat by paying attention to what is actually happening on the ground here.

Economically, our state retains unquestioned areas of remarkable strength, notably in Silicon Valley as well as parts of coastal Southern California. But often overlooked are vast areas of underdevelopment, poverty and searing inequality, particularly in the interior. Overall, after a strong recovery from the recession, California’s GDP growth is now about the national average, well below that of prime competitors like Texas, Washington state, Ohio and even New York.

Yet on the ground level, the progressive regime has been far less friendly, at least economically, to minorities than most may suspect. Many live in deplorable conditions, with a rate of overcrowding roughly twice the national average. Minority home ownership is plunging well below other states, and economic prospects, particularly for those without college education, are increasingly dismal.

http://www.ocregister.com/california...t-thinks-it-is

Old 04-30-2018, 06:40 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
I am a liberal, and I love living in California. But if you think I have ever advocated that it is "paradise," you are mistaken. This is a forward looking state, and I am glad of that, but I disagree with some policies/directions as well. And it is obvious that CA has serious problems as well as bright spots. Is there any state that doesn't have problems? There are a lot of folks that seem to think that Californians are always asserting their superiority, but that has not been my experience. Californians are not superior to anyone else. But some loyalty to one's state is not a sin. I moved back to CA after 5 years in Texas. Now THAT is a state where people are extremely proud to be Texans, and are not shy about letting people know. Californians are not nearly so outspoken in their loyalty. Still, I have nothing against Texas. I just know that California is the place for me.

I have always advocated that it is pointless and counter-productive for people to bad-mouth other states. Of course, we have political opinions, but I don't see how anyone benefits when we condemn each other. I think each state has its own "identity," its problems, its promise, and its successes, its failures. Let us be charitable to each other in our words, rather than being hostile and destructive. Let each state chart its own course, and be happy that we are not all the same.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:53 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:

None of this suggests that California is doomed, or has descended into the hell suggested by some conservatives. But before recommending our policies to the nation, we need to address the issues that threaten to tear our society apart.
WHO said anything about recommending our policies to the nation???!! Every state is unique, CA policies work for CA. I wouldn't recommend it to say, a deep red state (although I would definitely recommend doing away with the existing right-wing policies that are failing).

CA's problem is rooted in its success. Income inequalities? No s***! You are going to get that when you got people who makes millionaires look poor!! Homeless?! Of course. If you're homeless would you rather freeze to death in Middle America or move to CA to live under clear skies?

But again, who the hell is saying CA is a model???

Old 04-30-2018, 07:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Great article that breaks down why CA isn’t the paradise llberals make it out to be

To them, California remains the “harbinger” of “new America” and “the most active front” in the battle to exterminate Trumpism. Yet this enthusiasm should be curbed somewhat by paying attention to what is actually happening on the ground here.

Yet on the ground level, the progressive regime has been far less friendly, at least economically, to minorities than most may suspect. Many live in deplorable conditions, with a rate of overcrowding roughly twice the national average. Minority home ownership is plunging well below other states, and economic prospects, particularly for those without college education, are increasingly dismal.

Orange County is Nixon and Reagan country.....so the paper should be noted as that.

BUT,

this is yet another example of "telling people what they already know". Manhattan is not a great place for poor people to move - either is most of Boston and surrounding areas. Same goes with most areas of Chicago, etc.

The reasons are simple - places which are in demand COST A LOT MORE.

No liberal...and I certainly am one myself...holds up California to be an example of a Utopia. On the other hand, no one can doubt they are BY FAR the ultimate "makers" of the USA and even of the World. The Market Cap and influence of the companies and orgs in the Bay Area, LA, San Diego, etc......is way off the charts.

As just one state, something like 1/3 the Venture Capital $$ in the USA goes to CA.

If a Liberal like myself was going to pump CA (and I have no real reason to), we would simply state that these ultra-liberals have created more value and more of the modern world than any other place.....in the country and the world. TRILLIONS of dollars of market cap can be viewed in one glance from a hill in Silicon Valley.

No one is saying it's a great place to be poor...

Economic prospects for those without a college ed have been poor for a generation or more - everywhere! I wonder if OC just got around to figuring that out?

Old 04-30-2018, 07:09 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
WHO said anything about recommending our policies to the nation???!! Every state is unique, CA policies work for CA. I wouldn't recommend it to say, a deep red state (although I would definitely recommend doing away with the existing right-wing policies that are failing).

CA's problem is rooted in its success. Income inequalities? No s***! You are going to get that when you got people who makes millionaires look poor!! Homeless?! Of course. If you're homeless would you rather freeze to death in Middle America or move to CA to live under clear skies?

It gets thrown around all of the time. CA is successful because of it's geographical location, not the policies. Ranty post is ranty.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/je...nias-governor/

Old 04-30-2018, 07:17 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,724,781 times
Quote:

No kidding. What the hell is up with the California threads?? I have been living here for 15 years and love it. And yea when you are the most populous state in the country there are problems that come with that. California's GDP is about $2.4 Trillion and represents approximately 14% of the GDP for the entire US. Independently it would be the 6th largest economy in the world. It has a history of pioneering some of most important facets of the US economy namely technology and back in the day aerospace among others. The best and the brightest move here to make it and many of them don't. The conversation about other states rarely comes up here. What gives?

Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:

In L.A , Eric Garcetti is looking to run for President in 2020 and saying this stuff

Old 04-30-2018, 08:07 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Having lived in CA for most of my life it is not the state of my childhood. There are many still in the area where I grew up that are not fond of the direction it has taken. No more is the live and let live notion even in the outer areas, let alone the smaller cities and urban locations.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Economically, our state retains unquestioned areas of remarkable strength, notably in Silicon Valley as well as parts of coastal Southern California. But often overlooked are vast areas of underdevelopment, poverty and searing inequality, particularly in the interior. Overall, after a strong recovery from the recession, California’s GDP growth is now about the national average, well below that of prime competitors like Texas, Washington state, Ohio and even New York.

Which liberals? You and a few other folks are the only ones talking about California. The rest of here are all happy where we are and don't really need to look elsewhere.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
What state is perfect? California alone makes something like 10-15% of all of our food. There are parts of CA that are absolutely stunning. I'm left of center leaving and don't ways agree with CA politics, but then again I'm not a tax payer there so what does it matter what I care?

I dunno why conservatives love to hate their own country so much. Have they been to some if the amazing parks in CA? National gems that should make any American proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies